Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/7/2013 7:55:03 AM EDT
My 14yr old son needs an adult sized mountain bike.   We are headed down to the local bike shop, but I doubt he can afford what he sells.   Usually his bikes, Specialized, sell for $400 and up.   He's got $300 to spend.  

I'd rather not buy a bike from Walmart, but it may be all he can afford.   Buying used around here is not easy, as we live in a very small town, and rarely see them come p on the local buy/sell sites.  

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, wont last him a few days and be may be turned off to the sport for life. Your best best is chip in the extra $$$ as a b-day/x-mas gift. You could also hit craigslist up. At 14, its a great age to learn how to work on bike.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
No, not really. That is a touchy situation. Being 14 he'll probably just buy another one in a few years. I would suggest buying a nicer one used or buying one of the lower end, name brand, models from a real bike store. There really is a difference in the quality of product.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:58:25 AM EDT
[#3]
No.

Where ya @ in WY?  If you watch CL in FTC/Denver - I could probably help you out by picking it up for you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 7:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Absolutely not.

The quality is bad, and they are assembled by Walmart monkeys with no clue.  The spokes won't be tensioned properly, brakes are rarely adjusted right, and you're lucky if they get the derailers working properly.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Should be able to find a used Trek in good condition for that price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:00:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not buy a Walmart bike.

Take a look at bikesdirect.com and see what they offer in his price range.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]

(former wrench monkey here)
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree, is there any way he can earn an extra hundred?  Does he need it now?  Season is coming to an end.  Close out model maybe?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#9]
NO.

Get on Craigslist and look for a good brand.  You can get a good used $700+ bike for $400.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:02:06 AM EDT
[#10]
how many times can you afford to buy a cheap bike?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Also check out bikesdirect.com

I have a motobecane from there that serves my needs nicely.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Walmart Bikes are produced and sold to meet  a certain price point not for quality.

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Throw in another couple hundred or buy a used bike.  

Lifes to short to ride cheap bikes
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Has Schwinn really gone down that much? My local Walmart carries them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:04:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Always buy from a good bike shop. Better bikes, real mechanics, better service.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:06:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a walmart bike.  It worked.  I now have a bike shop bike and it works a lot better.  You get what you pay for. As a 14 yo I guess the question is how long and hard will he run this?  If he goes to cars at 16, my guess is the wallyworld bike will probably last that long.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#17]
NO....Craigslist and get a quality bike that's gently used.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
The biggest difference between Wal Mart and a bike shop is the mechanic that builds the bike. I take approx. an hour to build a bike. The Wal Mart requirement is 15 minutes or less.

Come on pops, spot the kid some money in return for some extra chores.

ETA-Unless you know how to work on the bike I don't recommend an internet purchase.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Schwinn is no longer the Schwinn you grew up with. The name was purchased.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:10:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Had a walmart bike.  It worked.  I now have a bike shop bike and it works a lot better.  You get what you pay for. As a 14 yo I guess the question is how long and hard will he run this?  If he goes to cars at 16, my guess is the wallyworld bike will probably last that long.
View Quote

True... Until he goes to college then rides the piss out of the bike because he can't find parking spots!
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:10:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1-got my son an adult size bikedirect MTB for his 11th birthday-now that he's 5'5" at a little over 12, I'll be able to swap the parts over to a larger frame for around $100 or so next year when he outgrows his current 15" frame, which you can't do with Walmart bikes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Schwinn is no longer the Schwinn we knew growing up. They went bankrupt and sold off the name years ago. It's just Chinese junk with a Schwinn sticker on it.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#23]
On our way to the local bike shop.   I'll update after.   Looked at bikesdirect.com .......looks promising.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. After the bankruptcy in the early 90's they were bought by international companies with experience in sourcing products from the far east and they refocused the Schwinn brand on low-end leisure models.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#25]
They sell great disposable bikes. Something you take to school or a high hit area.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes. After the bankruptcy in the early 90's they were bought by international companies with experience in sourcing products from the far east and they refocused the Schwinn brand on low-end leisure models.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And their final assembly is done by Walmart employees who DGAF, rather than bike shop employees.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:17:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Rules to live by.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:17:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like most brands, they have different quality tiers. There are current Schwinn branded bikes better than the department store models.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Look around for a store that carries the Sync brand. They have all aluminum frames ans wheels, and Shimmano components. We just got my son one, for under 200. He's only nine, but Sync was the only aluminum framed bike would could find in 24in. The aluminum frame is a big deal. He tried a steel framed Schwinn, and could not keep up with the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Schwinn is no longer the Schwinn we knew growing up. They went bankrupt and sold off the name years ago. It's just Chinese junk with a Schwinn sticker on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is Trek still good?

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#31]
No. Neither do sporting goods stores. Head to a bike shop and tell them.what you are willing to spend and they should help you out. There's too many good companies to name them all but GT, trek, cannodale, giant are a few of the bigger names. Craigslist can get you some sweet deals. You can easily pick up a bike that was $1000 a few years ago for 300-600.

Eta..I'd either float your kid a couple hundred to get into a decent bike or do craigslist. $300 ain't gonna get you anything quality in a MTB unless your local shop has an entry level used bike which is quite possible.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Craigslist. Lot's of people that had the itch for a top quality mountain bike posting up since the bike just sat in their garage for 2 years. I've bout my last 2 for a fraction of their new price.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it is. You have to buy the right line though. The aluminum framed top tier bikes will not be found at Wal-mart. They are usually only found at bike shops.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#34]
My buddy weighs about 280 pounds and bought a mountain bike from wal mart.  It broke on the very first trip out.  He took it back and exchanged it.  That second bike has lasted him for the last 10 years and he treats it like garbage.

So hit or miss I guess.

I personally spent a ton on a bike from a local shop.  The advantage is I can get it worked on for basically free.  Well, I used to be able too.  It got stolen a few years back.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
http://www.synccycles.com/
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I have an old Mongoose with front and rear suspension that came from Wally world. As a casual rider on relatively rough terrain, it served me just fine. Of course, there are better bikes, but if you are looking for something cheap to see if it's a sport he's interested in, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#37]
tagged for update

bikesdirect is good

Check local shops first
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

Target has them too.

When I was 14, I rode the shit out of a cheap Huffy ten speed, for YEARS, and I didn't have any problems.

This Tier 1 bike shit is a little ridiculous.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Schwinn was bought out back in 02 or so. They now suck. The old schwinn owners now own waterford
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Target has them too.

When I was 14, I rode the shit out of a cheap Huffy ten speed, for YEARS, and I didn't have any problems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Target has them too.

That huffy you rode, like mine, was built way more solid back then than the cheap Chinese bikes that department stores sell now. The old saying "they don't build 'em like they used to" is so very true.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Does Walmart sell a decent "mountain bike" ?
View Quote

No.

I worked in a bike shop as a mechanic in college.   We would refuse to work on Walmart specials.  People would bring them in for a tune-up, we'd get them running right, and three days later, they would be a pile of shit again.   People would bring them back and demand a refund, or that we fix our "poor workmanship".   It was easier and cheaper to just say "No, We'll happily fit you to a real bike, but this isn't worth it."

Walmart bikes are great, for someone who wants to buy a bike that will take up room in the garage and not do much else.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#42]
No, they don't.

OTH, he's 14 and he's not done growing so you may as well get him a Mongoose.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a pretty decent 21spd Schwinn Ranger from Target for under $200. I like it. I'm a casual biker.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:56:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Is Trek still good?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is Trek still good?

I know Outdoor Magazine likes their higher end models.

I want a bike too, but I want to buy once, cry once, and I figure it's going to set me back just short of a grand. Can't do that right now.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Also check out bikesdirect.com

I have a motobecane from there that serves my needs nicely.

View Quote
I wish I had know about them before I bought my present "parts bike".  It's OK for the most part but I have a lot of money tied up in something that's really not worth all that much.  I enjoy riding it and don't worry too much about appearances so it works for me.  It came from a local bike shop.  Boy does it ever need adjusted.

Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Update: bike purchased

Well, local shop had Specialized Hardrocks for $439.00. He bought a lime green one.

I bought one years ago almost identical, and now my oldest son rides it.   I've got the 29" version with disk brakes, now.  I ride every day, 365, and they've held up well.    This new one has a 19" frame so it should allow him to grow and still fit fine.   He's pretty small now, but loves the way it rides.  

We traded his Diamondback DB24 in on the bike.    We bought that there originally too.   He only gave us $70 on trade in, but its more than I expected.    Owner says he can sell it for $100.   I pitched in the last $58.00 to cover the difference and taxes.   We agreed that he could work it off by mowing our lawn the next three times.   He already mows the neighbor ladies yard every week.  

Probably should of tried selling my 29 to my oldest son for 300, had my youngest buy the yellow hardrock(oldest sons) for 200, and I could have gotten a new 29 for $100. Damn, should have thought of that earlier.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#47]
No way. Mountain biking is a pretty physically demanding activity. Having a heavy ass bike that breaks down every 5 minutes is way more likely to make him give up on it IMO. Have him save a bit longer or pitch in to help him out and he'll be way happier in the long run.

ETA: The Hardrock is decent for a starter. It was my first mountain bike. Good on ya for helping him out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This most likely won't help you, unless the kid wants to turn his $300 into a used bike business. Here's an ad I found this morning -

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/3965071080.html

Also this one, I may take a drive down there to look for a part -

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bid/3972263882.html

I'm on the side of getting help from someone a little closer.  There should be thousands of great bikes available along the Front Range from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs, and I have no doubt you can find that help here.

View Quote

We are over 8hrs from the Front Range and 6 from Cheyenne.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a Schwinn rocket a few years back and it isn't bad for 3 bills. It has stood up to some decent trail riding. No be drops or anything but plenty of roots, logs, some downhills.

I did go over it and adjust/set everything before taking off. It now sports a better fork, avid bb7 brakes, better derailleurs, and some egg beaters.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top