Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/20/2005 3:17:44 PM EDT
I need to rent a car and drive it from Tampa FL to Knoxville, TN - and then back. About 1500 miles.

I see on Hertz that it says Unlimited miles - does that really mean I can drive it 1500 miles and not get charged extra?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:20:04 PM EDT
Yes. I spend about 75% of the year in rental vehicles, and, the policies are pretty much the same. Unlimited is unlimited. Just make sure you tank that bad boy up before you turn it it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:20:49 PM EDT
Oh, they will frown on you mounting that .30 MG of yours in the back. Don't do it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:21:33 PM EDT
Unlimited means unlimited.

A few years ago someone rented a car and used to set the record for driving in all lower 48 states. Something like 5000 miles in 4 days.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:25:45 PM EDT
Oh, the only time miles aren't unlimited is one way drops. Then, you'll get some mileage free, and,t hen, be charged by the mile. 15 PAssenger vans don't usually come with unlimited either, for some reason.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:35:50 PM EDT
Yup.

I rented a car on a Friday here in San Diego a few years ago. Ran out to Tempe to visit a friend for the weekend. A quick run to Sedona, Flagstaff and back to Tempe to drop her off then back to San Diego.

Returned the car Sunday afternoon. Was close to 1,200 miles. Check in guy did a serious double take but didn't say a word.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:37:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Yup.

I rented a car on a Friday here in San Diego a few years ago. Ran out to Tempe to visit a friend for the weekend. A quick run to Sedona, Flagstaff and back to Tempe to drop her off then back to San Diego.

Returned the car Sunday afternoon. Was close to 1,200 miles. Check in guy did a serious double take but didn't say a word.

Somtimes I keep 'em for months at a time. Always hilarious to see the reaction.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Goonboss:
Oh, the only time miles aren't unlimited is one way drops. Then, you'll get some mileage free, and,t hen, be charged by the mile. 15 PAssenger vans don't usually come with unlimited either, for some reason.

IIRC the one way rentals that my employer does with National Car Rental are unlimited mileage. We are truck drivers that occasionally get the cars to get to other terminals, and we rack up the miles post haste.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:40:50 PM EDT
Had an Avis rental in SE AZ. I racked up 1800 miles in 6 days in an SUV that saw some decent offroading. AZ is a BIG state.

Total bill was around $180 for the rental. I will never, ever buy from a rental fleet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:42:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

Originally Posted By Goonboss:

IIRC the one way rentals that my employer does with National Car Rental are unlimited mileage. We are truck drivers that occasionally get the cars to get to other terminals, and we rack up the miles post haste.

Depends on your company's agreemnt, I bet.

We do National, too, btw. We have a Contract with them becasue we handled a situation for them somtime back. We don't get the deal you talked about though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:43 PM EDT
I always use alamo rental, because they have unlimited mileage.
we put over 2000 miles on a car in one week, a few summers ago
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:53:47 PM EDT
Cool - just checked with Hertz and they said the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:56:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Greywolf2112:
Cool - just checked with Hertz and they said the same thing.

All of your car rental questions are belonging to us.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:00:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PaintItBlack:
I will never, ever buy from a rental fleet.

when the 05 mustang first came out and rental places started having them someone here posted that he rented one to give it a real test drive.
he did all sorts of crap to it iirc. smoked the tires, redlined the tacometer, slam the brakes at high speed, etc. He had to buy new tires for it before taking it back as he ruined the ones on it.
I wouldn't want to end up buying that car used
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:47:29 PM EDT
I've only had them blink once while returning a car, was an 05 mustang convertable that I took out with 3.x miles on it and returned with 1500+ in 3 days. No road testing of it other than driving it and maybe a little faster than normal on a Virgina backroad.

Most was 4200 in 10 days, heck didn't even get a second glance.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:56:08 PM EDT
I have put 6-800 on one in a weekend. Amateur compared to yall.

Why should the Hertz clerk care? Not like it is his car.

+1 on not buying an old fleet car. All the oil changes in the world won't make up for the crap I've seen associates do to rentals.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 5:16:58 PM EDT by DrMark]

I recently did about 650 miles in one day. They don't care - it's why they rent cars.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:39:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2005 5:44:26 PM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]
Some companies do care.
Alamo is no longer 100% unlimited since they were bought by National.
Hertz is often unlimited only on corporate agreements.
Most unlimited mileage contracts allow for travel only in certain states or regions.
Sometimes east or west of the Mississippi.
Get the local Rental office number and call the local office to be sure.
Also check "terms and conditions"... sometimes you will see something to that effect.

How do I know? I manage a city for a rental agency.
I am pretty familiar with our competition.

Why do you sometimes get hassled over miles and sometimes you don't?
Most of the time it depends on the person at the counter.
The sales agents don't want the hassle of getting yelled at over mileage policies.
The managers understand the the cars are essentially LEASED from the Big 3 Automakers and don't want to rack up a lot of miles on the cars.

(OK, really its a floorplan, not a lease) and allowed 22,000-30,000 miles vbefore paying mileage fees at turn-in. Why does that matter? Because usually we have a minimum tiem we must keep them (6 months is typical). If you put 2,000 miles per week on a car, we can only keep it 15 weeks, or 3 months and 3 weeks. Or 2 months and 1 week short of the 6 month minimum.

Also, some cities are franchises (as is mine) and we would really prefer that our cars not travel 1000 miles away to get into an accient or breakdown and cause us unnecessary hassle getting the car repaired or towed back.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:14:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
Some companies do care.
Alamo is no longer 100% unlimited since they were bought by National.
Hertz is often unlimited only on corporate agreements.
Most unlimited mileage contracts allow for travel only in certain states or regions.
Sometimes east or west of the Mississippi.
Get the local Rental office number and call the local office to be sure.
Also check "terms and conditions"... sometimes you will see something to that effect.

How do I know? I manage a city for a rental agency.
I am pretty familiar with our competition.

Why do you sometimes get hassled over miles and sometimes you don't?
Most of the time it depends on the person at the counter.
The sales agents don't want the hassle of getting yelled at over mileage policies.
The managers understand the the cars are essentially LEASED from the Big 3 Automakers and don't want to rack up a lot of miles on the cars.

(OK, really its a floorplan, not a lease) and allowed 22,000-30,000 miles vbefore paying mileage fees at turn-in. Why does that matter? Because usually we have a minimum tiem we must keep them (6 months is typical). If you put 2,000 miles per week on a car, we can only keep it 15 weeks, or 3 months and 3 weeks. Or 2 months and 1 week short of the 6 month minimum.

Also, some cities are franchises (as is mine) and we would really prefer that our cars not travel 1000 miles away to get into an accient or breakdown and cause us unnecessary hassle getting the car repaired or towed back.

Cool. I hate you
Nah...All in doin the job. Our company gets unlimited all the time.

Problem with National is they need to get the peeps in the US on the sma page with the peeps in India. The Indans do a better job at getting our stuff squared away. "Tom Cruise" (Swear to god )

Does a better job. Call center jobs are out sourscing. Wonder why?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:19 PM EDT
Yep, I have often times out 2,500 miles on a car in a week and a buddy's brother rented a car for a month and toured America--probably put 10,000+ miles on the car. Most compaones even let you drive in Canada too!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:14 PM EDT
Just make sure you read the fine print on the rental agreement. There a thread on ARFCOM (I can't find it) where a guy got socked with a $1.00 a mile fee when he crossed over from Nevada to Kali. Damn GPS tracking devices!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:23:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Vulcan94:
Just make sure you read the fine print on the rental agreement. There a thread on ARFCOM (I can't find it) where a guy got socked with a $1.00 a mile fee when he crossed over from Nevada to Kali. Damn GPS tracking devices!

Vulcan94

Half way down on this thread
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:51 PM EDT
I might just win this one

Honeymoon in July. Picked up a Chevy Trailblazer at JFK/New York City from Enterprise. Returned it 5300 miles later in southern CA. Not cheap....but a good way to see America.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:31:07 AM EDT
We rented a car in Seattle for our vacation last June and proceeded to put over TWO THOUSAND MILES on it driving down to California and back. Unlimited means unlimited.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:14:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
Unlimited means unlimited.

A few years ago someone rented a car and used to set the record for driving in all lower 48 states. Something like 5000 miles in 4 days.

Actually, they were the first winners of Car and Driver magazine's One Lap of America competition. They rented a Chevy Caprice wagon. Over 8,700 miles in one week.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:17:07 AM EDT
I recently drove from Ohio to Oklahoma and back in a week and racked up ove 2300 miles on Avis unlimited mileage plan. It want great with NO hassles...

UNFORTUNATELY

Thrift Rental doesn't have the same "unlimited mileage" policy. Apparently their version of "unlimited" means 200 miles/day up to 1500 miles/week... THEN they hit you with the additional mileage charges.

I HAD reserved a van with them for my family vacation until they made me aware of their "Unlimited Mileage Limitations" ????? Jerk-Offs!!! I will NEVER rent a vehical EVER from Thrifty
Top Top