Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 6:19:29 AM EDT
I ordered some parts for my AR. I've used this vendor before and trust that he shipped on Monday when I got the email.  But when I go to USPS.com all I see is "Electronic Shipping Info Received".  I've had this issue before so I know this isn't a one time thing. So when will it come? Today? Tomorrow?  Maybe the vendor hasn't actually shipped it yet (doubtful) and I won't see it till next week? Who knows?

I guess I'm soiled by UPS's detailed status (I love to see "Out for Delivery").  But I feel empty inside, just like my upper that's missing a bolt carrier group.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]
i had my rifle shipped back to my parents house.   i checked the tracking.   it said it was suppost to be shipped the 15.     i checked the tracking that day around noon.  it still said it had not been picked up for delivery.  but  around 4 it was delivered.    didn't update on the website till late than night.

tracking wasn't very accurate that day

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#2]
USPS tracking absolutely does not work.  They will show items delivered that aren't, or items will not even show up on tracking until after delivery.

I am not talking just a few times, but every time I have used their "tracking".  A waste of money.

Fed Ex's tracking works well.  I have had ONE problem tracking in the last two years, and I ship daily with Fed Ex.  And that one time with the tracking problem it was delivered correctly and on time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently had to convert from UPS (who I never had a problem with) to USPS and it's been an education in how to NOT do business.

USPS needs to streamline their idiotic form process. Fill out the label to ship - make sure you get the right form though! Want tracking? Fill out another form. Want insurance? Another STUPID form.

The ala-carte crap may be nice for some, but I can't stand it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Never had any luck with USPS tracking system.

UPS seems to have it down pretty good, though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#5]
UPS tracking is usually excellent.
Most people don't realize that the shipper(not UPS) is usually the origin of the FUBAR situation. Shippers print their own lables, UPS just picks up the boxes.

whoops... I read it as UPS..not USPS
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I was bitching about this a week ago. I HATE USPS for anything. If I could all my business would use UPS.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, but so does Fed-X & UPS

They can only tell you where it was scanned last
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

it's hard to see into the future.....
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The tracking blows.

I sent a package containing one SAR-1 to Florida. The USPS lady asked if I wanted tracking. I said I did, since it seemed like a good idea for a firearm.

Right up until about an hour before I heard that the rifle had reached the FFL in Florida and the guy had picked it up, the USPS website still showed NOTHING AT ALL for my package. Neither tracking nor confirmation.

Although when you can track packages it can be annoying. My roommate at RIT ordered a computer, and watched as UPS brought it from the PRC to Chicago to Buffalo....and then to Ohio. We watched it then slowly move AWAY from Rochester for two days, and then back to Buffalo and then to Rochester. My roommate was furious, and UPS was no help at all.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but it would be nice to know where the package IS, not where it WAS
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, but it would be nice to know where the package IS, not where it WAS

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. If the last item as an arrival scan as some facility then it is at that facility.  If the last scan was a departure scan then it's on a truck headed to the next one. Granted you don't know which facility is next or how many it will need to hit before it gets to you.  But the estimated arrival data is usually correct.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not sure I understand your complaint. If the last item as an arrival scan as some facility then it is at that facility.  If the last scan was a departure scan then it's on a truck headed to the next one. Granted you don't know which facility is next or how many it will need to hit before it gets to you.  But the estimated arrival data is usually correct.

Okay.

I Fed-X'ed for a Monday AM arrival a $13,000 check 65 miles to the south of me on a Friday, I think

Monday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Tuesday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport  on saturday
Wednesday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Thursday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Friday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Saturday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Sunday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday

Get the idea?   Meanwhile, I can't finish the sale on my boat, I'm racking up interest charges, I don't know if the check is stolen or lost.

Fed-X can only tell me they scanned it at Dulles - for over a WEEK  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#14]
This thread should be titled:

"USPS sucks."

Sheesh they have been slow for the last few months.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yeah I was bitching about this a week ago. I HATE USPS for anything. If I could all my business would use UPS.

Packages I have shipped USPS show up to where I send them in no more than 3 days anywhere conus. If I use UPS it takes a week if shipped ground (comparable price).

Same on stuff I have shipped to me. USPS is just faster for the price.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered some magazines from 44mag.com and chose the usps shipping.  For over a week, every time I checked the tracking website it said the package hadn't entered the "mailstream".  So I emailed 44mag.com asking where my magazines were(and made an ass out of myself) yeah anyway . .. . . ..long story short, their tracking SUCKS!!! . ..the speed of their actual delivery is OK.  Next time I use USPS I won't spaz out when my package hasn't "entered the mailstream"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay.

I Fed-X'ed for a Monday AM arrival a $13,000 check 65 miles to the south of me on a Friday, I think

Tuesday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport  on saturday
Wednesday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Thursday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Friday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Saturday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday
Sunday it showed the package was scanned at Dulles Airport on saturday

Get the idea?   Meanwhile, I can't finish the sale on my boat, I'm racking up interest charges, I don't know if the check is stolen or lost.

Fed-X can only tell me they scanned it at Dulles - for over a WEEK  

I see now.  That would suck.

I've never had that happen.  I bought some stuff with super saver shipping or something like that once.  It sat for like 36 hours but that was the longest.  Usually it's in and out within a few hours.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll one up you. I had 3 things today marked "We attempted to deliver your item at 3:40pm in blah blah blah blah..." WTF!?!?!? My wife and brother were home at that time! In fact, a guy was here installing a dish washer! How hard is your F%^&ing job USPS?!?!?!? On top of that, there was no mail at all delivered, which NEVER happens. Three people living at this house, we always get something even if its junk mail!

I wouldn't be so pissed except one of the items is my EOTech. Not like I want that floating around! FUCKING MORONS! I thought UPS was bad.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
USPS charges for the tracking information feature, UPS does not, my personal preference when shipping has always been UPS
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes it does.

Next question?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You only get USPS tracking with Express Mail or Global Express Mail.  Priority Mail is DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, not tracking.

+1. I send many packages for business, and no one seems to understand that a green form labeled "Delivery Confirmation" doesn't mean tracking...it just gives you a way to confirm the delivery...imagine that.

Fed Ex tracking has worked well for me for years.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#22]
UPS tracking is better than other shippers. That's the automated side of the house. Now if they could just keep their thieves employees from stealing packages.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I ordered an A2 buttstock and was notified with track and ship that "electronic shipping information" was received on monday.  I turned on notifications, and it said this same thing up until it was delivered today.  Now it says delivered.  It didn't do any tracking, but that's probably because it was coming from somewhere that was only 2 hours away.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#24]
It's horrible.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You only get USPS tracking with Express Mail or Global Express Mail.  Priority Mail is DELIVERY CONFIRMATION, not tracking.

Exactly.

-Troy

WELL, THEN THEY NEED TO CALL IT DELIVERY CONFIRMATION AND STOP CALLING IT "TRACK AND CONFIRM!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Aren't we getting grumpy....I agree. The phrasing needs to be changed...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#28]

The delivery confirmation is pretty clear itself.

The "track and confirm" tab on the website is named so because the same space is used to enter both delivery confirmation numbers and tracking numbers that are given for express or global mail.  

The USPS site explanation is straight foward.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

-Troy

WELL, THEN THEY NEED TO CALL IT DELIVERY CONFIRMATION AND STOP CALLING IT "TRACK AND CONFIRM!!!!!!!!"

Because it is a government run quasi-profit government organizaton (not that it ever has run at a profit, as far as I know) that likes to think it can play with the big boys and be as efficient as private couriers and provide reliable information.  The USPS should be dissolved.

Hallelujah.  Amen.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

-Troy

GOOD IDEA!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

-Troy

GOOD IDEA!

here's and idea

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

-Troy

GOOD IDEA!

here's and idea

GET BOTH
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:34:07 PM EDT
[#32]
USPS does indeed suck!

my favorite is when the item is delivered before the website even says "shipped"

i've learned to not even bother with USPS's tracking system. it's useless
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top