Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2012 6:27:12 PM EDT
...give blowjobs with their scopes? Hell, at full price do I get the full fucking down and dirty Tantric package?

Guess I'll go for cheaper on my Bravo. I can't justify spending more than my rifle on the scope. I'll look at Zeiss.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:29:30 PM EDT
No, but you'll have an S&B
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:30:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:36:00 PM EDT
Eh, find a used one on Sniper's Hide.

My 5-25 is absolutely the clearest glass I have ever looked through. I can see .308 holes in paper at 600y with it!

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:38:55 PM EDT
Take a look at the Bushnell HDMR with the H59 reticle.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:40:34 PM EDT
I used to think like you, and then I got a Zeiss.  Life is too short to use cheap glass.

FWIW I may sell off a gun from my personal collection occasionally, but the good glass will stay with me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:41:30 PM EDT

There are some very good scopes for less than a S&B. They still aren't S&B though- they are king.
How much do you have to spend?
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:42:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bubbles:
I used to think like you, and then I got a Zeiss.  Life is too short to use cheap glass.

FWIW I may sell off a gun from my personal collection occasionally, but the good glass will stay with me.

I'm not opposed to pricey glass, this is my dream rifle. Just $2,500-5,000 on a piece of glass has my balls cringin'.

Thanks for the heads up on SH. I'll check that site.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:42:45 PM EDT
I have been wanting a nightforce 2.5-10x24 for years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:43:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

There are some very good scopes for less than a S&B. They still aren't S&B though- they are king.

I have quite a bit. I want to be saavy with what I do have though so I'm limiting myself. I just have to be careful, this WT101 is making me want to whip out the CC. Heh.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:43:56 PM EDT
No. They don't use lube either - it'd smudge the glass.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:44:01 PM EDT
I upgraded from a NF NXS to a S&B 5-25.

Great move. They are both good, but the S & B is impeccable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:44:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Razoreye:
...give blowjobs with their scopes? Hell, at full price do I get the full fucking down and dirty Tantric package?

Guess I'll go for cheaper on my Bravo. I can't justify spending more than my rifle on the scope. I'll look at Zeiss.

Are you sure they are much cheaper?

http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-zf-3-12x56-mildot-front-focal-riflescope.aspx

To be fair it is a hensoldt.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:50:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By renesis:

Are you sure they are much cheaper?

http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-zf-3-12x56-mildot-front-focal-riflescope.aspx

To be fair it is a hensoldt.

FML. Maybe I should just bend over.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:52:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By pepperbelly:

I have quite a bit. I want to be saavy with what I do have though so I'm limiting myself. I just have to be careful, this WT101 is making me want to whip out the CC. Heh.

The Nightforce NXS is very good as is the Vortex Razor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:05:31 PM EDT
My favorite scope I currently own is a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42. Extremely clear, and no SF or AO, which I absolutely hate on a hunting rifle. To top it off, they will cost you under 1k, even if you get raped.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:08:52 PM EDT
I plan on shooting .338 Lapua Magnum at 1k - 1,200 yard and if opportunity presents further. I have to develop the load first. I could use it for hunting elk at some point but I plan on setting up a .300BLK at some point since most is short range.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:14:05 PM EDT
Just get NcStar. It's basically the same thing, but you can switch the reticle colors from red to green.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:33:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ankratz:
Just get NcStar. It's basically the same thing, but you can switch the reticle colors from red to green.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:37:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mr_Happyface:

My 5-25 is absolutely the clearest glass I have ever looked through. I can see .308 holes in paper at 600y with it!

SH is for people that know how to shoot, ARFCOM is for guys that run their over fed mouths about how to shoot. Your advice falls on deaf ears.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:41:03 PM EDT
Leupold Mk 4.   I run Leupold on just about everything I have.  At some point though, I'm going to upgrade the scope on my .338 to a Premier Reticles Heritage series scope.  That shit is the fucking BOMB!
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:43:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MrSilverLining:

SH is for people that know how to shoot, ARFCOM is for guys that run their over fed mouths about how to shoot. Your advice falls on deaf ears.

What about underfed folks that workout... can actually walk up steps without losing their breath, and don't berate others on how to shoot but wish to learn? Then again, I reload my .308 WIN and shoot at 1k yards already in 30+ MPH desert winds so maybe my opinion doesn't count.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:44:23 PM EDT
Nightforce swallows..

At least that is what I was told....
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:46:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GaryM:
Nightforce swallows..

At least that is what I was told....

Nightforce is half the scope that Schmidt is.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:52:24 PM EDT

This quote with your user name is hilarious
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 7:59:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2012 7:59:58 PM EDT by w15ly]

What a stupid thing to say. There are some real badasses among the members here;  the sheer number of member guarantees it.  Why did you buy a membership here? Do you fall into the overfed category?

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:08:54 PM EDT
Optics is still one area where the higher the price the better the quality (for the most part). The higher end scopes are brighter, crisper, images.

For what little I do Nikon and Leupold serve me well, however even these pale in comparison to Ziess S&B etc.

We had a young woman pushing a baby stroller come into the store a few years back. She said, "My husband wants caps for this....".  She then starts digging around in the diaper bag on back of the stroller...I hear clink, clank, clink..and she pulls out a Zeiss scope. I get her the flip up caps to fit it, and she takes the caps and scope and PLOP! drops then back in the diaper bag. I hoped her husband didn't ever find out, I wanted to tell her that it was a high end item, but then I was afraid I might accidentally rat out the husband. He may not have told her exactly just how much the scope cost.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:16:08 PM EDT
I'm still looking for the lube. Any way I go about this, I'm paying a lot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:20:43 PM EDT
I have a Premier 3x15x50 on a GAP rifle, and let me tell you what, once you go high end glass you will never go back.  I cannot even look through a Mark 4 without being disapointed and wanting a Premier or S&B.  I am currently having a GAP 338 built and will be putting an S&B on it.  Yeah the scope is $3500 bucks, but the damn rifle was $4200.  

Seriously though, once you've worked behind high end glass, everything else is just shit.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 7:23:29 PM EDT
I'm still looking for the lube. Any way I go about this, I'm paying a lot.

Like my wife tells me when she buys stuff, "its just money after all."  

Seriously though, if you plan on shooting long range, cry once and buy quality glass instead of buying inferior optics and wonder if its you or your Leupold.  When you are shooting $5 dollar rounds, why in the hell are you going to go cheap on an optic.  If anything, save up for another year, buy the S&B, and then have zero doubt.

For my 338 build, I'm going S&B for the optic, Lapua brass, Lapua bullets, and I will know every single time I pull the trigger, that I"m using THE BEST.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:22:17 PM EDT
buy once cry once...
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:25:10 PM EDT
I've heard experts on precision shooting that a real good piece of glass can do more for your shooting than a really expensive rifle.

Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:38:27 PM EDT
You guys ain't helping.

I'm pretty set on S&B but still comparison shopping.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 8:39:38 PM EDT
You guys ain't helping.

I'm pretty set on S&B but still comparison shopping.

if you can afford it. get it.
the haters will try and talk you into a lesser optic, dont listen if you can afford the S&B
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 9:20:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 10:52:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Aimless:

We have real live girls here.  

So does SH.  I'm a member there too...
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 10:54:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2012 10:57:22 AM EDT by Snips]
I thought we had an optics forum with a stickied thread explaining why spending more money on your rifle than your scope is probably not the way to go?  Am I delusional?

Edit:  Hah! Found it. Link to article
Link to general thread
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 10:59:38 AM EDT

And you spent your hard-earned money to join this site because...?

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:00:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Originally Posted By Aimless:

We have real live girls here.

So does SH. I'm a member there too...

Yeah, but do they have a BOTD forum?  Hmmm?  

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:01:21 AM EDT
Scopes are about as crazy as watches.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:11:27 AM EDT
There comes a point when scope shopping that you get into diminishing returns. That point is reached (for me) long before the scope price exceeds what I paid for my first two cars combined.

Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:12:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
There comes a point when scope shopping that you get into diminishing returns. That point is reached (for me) long before the scope price exceeds what I paid for my first two cars combined.  

You have never looked through truly top end glass, then.
Link Posted: 5/16/2012 11:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/16/2012 11:20:30 AM EDT by LVMIKE]

You definitely aren't looking at military zeiss (hensoldt) scopes lol

Era: If your concerned about the scope costing more then the rifle then just buy a more expensive rifle! My AI AW cost more then my S&B 5-25 w/ gen2xr. :)
Top Top