Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 5:36:58 AM EDT
NO is dying and there were lots of warnings in the news for people to evacuate. A major terrorist attack ( like a nuke or blown out major dam or chem/bio attach....something big....like they're planning right now no doubt) would not give warning etc etc. It appears to me that FEMA and all the other letter orgs are basically incapable of doing very much very quickly. And...NO is not as populous as many major US cities.

Consider this, if terrorists had blown the levees in NO some night and flooded the city, there would be 10's of thousands of dead floating down the streets. And this is damn little govt response that would be effective. I imagine any major attack would give the same result.

Could make a good case for living in the boonies and as independent as possible.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You are your own crutch, support yourself. I'd definitely be up for moving to the middle of nowhere, if I could afford the move and maintain my finances.

Good question though. I don't expect the government to ever handle anything properly. So when it does happen, I'm surprised.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NO is dying and there were lots of warnings in the news for people to evacuate. A major terrorist attack ( like a nuke or blown out major dam or chem/bio attach....something big....like they're planning right now no doubt) would not give warning etc etc. It appears to me that FEMA and all the other letter orgs are basically incapable of doing very much very quickly. And...NO is not as populous as many major US cities.

Consider this, if terrorists had blown the levees in NO some night and flooded the city, there would be 10's of thousands of dead floating down the streets. And this is damn little govt response that would be effective. I imagine any major attack would give the same result.

Could make a good case for living in the boonies and as independent as possible.

Waaaaay ahead of ya there, buddy!

So help me God, I'll never live in a metropolitan area or suburb again. I've lived in the boonies for a few months now, and I'm as happy as I've ever been. I could write a book on the benefits of living here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
we are seeing what will happen any time there is a complete loss of infrastructure in a location where the population depends on it. for whatever reason.

anohter question might be is NO a glimpse at a possible future for other american cities. with or without a disaster.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Amazingly, a terrorist attack could be much worse.
Without warning, the government would not have
supplies and equipment prepositioned.

Additionally, citizens in the affected areas at least
knew that the worst was over. In a terrorist incident,
you have to worry about secondary attacks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Ummm yes. You need Food/watter filters for 30 days, camping equip, Watter tight containers, Ammo, weapons, You need to stash/Hide away 1/2 of each of these incase the "Law" comes and takes them. You will need first aid, Gas, and Good Buddies. If you are bugging out have a destination everyone knows.
I recently aquired some level 2 body armor, and am getting more for everyone in the family.

The only person you can count on is you and your family. Got a child under ten? You need a plan.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless the Terrorists can control hurricanes, I think not.  Even a terror nuke would not be as damaging as this.  you have a couple hundred miles of devestated coastline with millions affected.  The infrastructure is gone, but you really don't have a lot of dead people.

In even a large scale terror attack, there would be highly localized destruction and lots of dead.  The reaction to that would be a countrywide lockdown, worry about the dead later.  
This is the rest of the country trying to help people stuggling.  

The only similarity... in this case and in case of a terror attack.........there is not going to be anyone we (military and or civilians) can run around shooting.  They will be cells just like 9/11 and will probably die doing it.  

There might be a temporary panic and fear of another attack, but when travel gets restricted and there are widespread sweeps for other "weapons"  that might be planted, the panic will abate.

These are two vastly different things.  One is a natural disaster with a HUMANITARIAN reaction.  The other is an act of WAR with a MILITARY reaction.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top