Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2015 6:27:27 PM EDT
Any direct vehicle recovery experience with this, as a consumer or LEO?
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
yes and very well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I know of cases in which it has led to recovery of stolen vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My ex worked for a "buy here pay here" type car stealership and they lo-jacked every vehicle they sold. Works very well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yes and very well.
View Quote

All the "buy-here/pay-here" Hispanic used car lots around here lo-jack all their cars...AND, they can render the car inoperable with the flick of a button from a remote terminal.

If they couldn't, they'd all disappear into Mexico before the first payment was due.

At the request of one of my clients, we had one installed in a brand-new, fire engine red Mustang GT just before he gave (use of...) it to his girlfriend.

This guy was a hoot, he was twice as old as her, he had more money than Mr. Burns. He get drunk and call us up about 2:00 or 3:00 AM and tell us he'd pay a thousand dollars to any of our investigators who would drop everything and go get the car back for him...

...and every Monday morning she'd have that damn car back again. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My car insurance said it would only reduce my payment $11 per year if I got LoJack on my '14 Fusion. $11 less per year - didn't get it
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Worked great for the author Mary Higgins Clark.  It provided a nice plot line segment to the novel, "Loves Music, Loves to Dance".
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#7]
It works if you're local cops actually have and use the tracking units.   They like to sell it around here but the cops don't really use it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember watching some ridealong show in I think New York that followed a GTA task force.  It seemed to work well for them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I have it on my car--but it hasn't been stolen--yet.  Anything is a possibility in this city!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It works if you're local cops actually have and use the tracking units.   They like to sell it around here but the cops don't really use it.
View Quote

We had one car with the tracking equipment in it but most guys rarely used it. I recovered some cars with it, usually stripped. Caught one guy in a stolen van about an hour after he stole it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive used it with great success.
Our helo has it along with select patrol cars.

My moms car was also stolen and was recovered via LoJack
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would think On-Star would be a better option.
View Quote

Just make sure you're paid up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#14]

My company has LoJack units in every truck.  A new auto transport might cost upwards of $300,000 so it's a wise investment.

It has aided in recovery of transports before.

-p.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Its well worth it if you have a newer car.

It works, but its no guarantee.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I've recovered 2 stolen vehicles and made arrests from Lojack hits.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it's worth it for construction equipment and stuff on wheels, but when it comes to your daily driver I don't think it's worth it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
We've recovered a few vehicles, and some construction equipment, based off of LoJack signals.  Of course, they haven't put receivers in our cars for some time, so it has been a while.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I had it on one truck that I owned. Still have the unit sitting in a box here somewhere, wasn't too hard to find.  Pulled it because the truck was totaled.

Problem is, I am 30 minutes from the border. The majority of cars stolen from here wind up down there and I doubt there is going to be much international interagency cooperation on recovering a stolen car or the cops would keep it for themselves down there.
So for the most part by the time you notice it gone, it is en Mechico.

I saw a buddy's truck down there 6 months after it had been stolen. Just cruising down Revoluction like no big deal. Still had his California plates and the big, unique sticker that took up half his back window on it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Had an exciting night. LoJack hit of a moving target while returning to base results in a brief little car chase.

The upstanding citizens (I know one was an upstanding citizen because he had an ankle monitor on for a previous armed robbery conviction) fled from the vehicle on foot. It's hard to hide from a helicopter, especially when you have asthma. ;)

The bonus of the night was being able to lead my beautiful wife to the suspect so that she and others could place the driver into custody. K9 even got a little action in the arrest. Good puppy!

I am sure you are wondering how these fine upstanding citizens came into possession of the Lexus with handicap plates. The car was taken in an armed robbery (carjacking) in the parking garage at a local hospital. Surprise, surprise, surprise.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I dont use the particular brand lojack, but my entire fleet (100 semis) have black box style records with two way communication and GPS that is hard wired in.

Provides real time location of the trucks, plus the drivers can communicate through the on dash GPS unit. It also will relay back fault codes of the truck and statistics. Etc.

Great investment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I've seen several semi loads stolen that were recovered with gps

But I have also heard of several that got away due to hammers installed in the cabs AND in the back of the truck on car batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top