Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 7:01:28 PM EST
Remember 10 years ago when the military issued you Break free to clean your weapon? Oh, what a wonderful smell! The new stuff smells different...anybody know why?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:05:05 PM EST
Didn't the guy who sang that song die of Aids. Queen right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:05:33 PM EST
I dunno...I don't make it a habit to sniff that stuff...
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:07:55 PM EST
It still smells the same to me. Did the military go to something else lately? We always had CLP
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:08:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By Tortfeasor:
Remember 10 years ago when the military issued you Break free to clean your weapon? Oh, what a wonderful smell! The new stuff smells different...anybody know why?

To the dude who just posted about Queen, you want www.potsmokers.com not AR15.com.

And NRA guy, in the military it was a comforting smell to know your gun was clean.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:09:30 PM EST
I find the smell of Break Free REPULSIVE... got that crap on my hand and everytime I smell it ... makes me gag.

HOPPES!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! YEAH HOPPES.... ZZZZZZZZZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP NOW THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD STUFF!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..

oooops.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:16:11 PM EST
Yes, it smells differently than it did in the '80s. I still have a bottle of the old stuff. Everytime I open it, it brings back memories of basic training and weekends in the arms room.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:16:15 PM EST
Growing up, I thought Hoppes #9 should have been an aftershave. Smelled a lot better to me than Old Spice, Brut, or all the other things popular at the time.

I still like the smell of Hoppes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:29:14 PM EST
Sorry, I couldn't help the "Break Free" comment. I was in the Corps from 71 to 75 but I don't remember what we used. After years of using whatever chemicals I could get I am now more cautious. I heard that some of the solvents can end up in your liver. From now on I'll buy "safe" stuff and try to use gloves.

Top Top