Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 12:44:21 PM EDT
I must admit, I just don't care about music much. I don't listen to it very often, and have no desire to play it. I listen to talk radio about 95% of the time, even if it's flaming liberals or nutcases on. I have a CD walkman that's been gathering dust for the last 5 years or so. I have some MP3s on my computer; I don't really know how many since I hardly ever listen to them.

Seems like almost everyone else around me is obsessed with some band or other, or plays some instrument. They keep trying to tell me about who the members of some band are and what they're doing, but I just don't care. Gimmie Rush Limbaugh any day. Or Neal Boortz, Sean Hannity, Micheal Savage, etc.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I like music, and I play the guitar, but I'm not all goofy over it like alot of people. I hate most of the music being made today.

Like yourself, I have been listening mostly to talk radio for the past few years. I am however trying to peel myself away from it, because after all, there's more to life than politics.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I use to like certain rock bands and lots of other music. Now I can hardly bare to listen to the radio. I must be getting old. I just like to drive and think to myself without any music distractions.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
anyone who doesn't like some type of music is an alien.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Totally with ya there Mace.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Heheh, wow.

I'm a 2nd year music major, top of my class in most subjects, I have very good relative pitch and a little perfect pitch, I play the clarinet and flute, I listen to music (mostly romantic period music) all the time and study the full score while listening quite often, I have written a symphony and symphonic poem for full orchestra in the last five years, and I plan to be a music teacher or composer.

So nope, it doesn't apply to me.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
all good music stopped around  1994-1995 for me.  Last CD that enthralled me was Offspring's Ignition.  MTV videos suck, VH1 is cool.  There's a 80's station I listen to for music, but mostly I listen to talk radio, Rush Limbaugh, Clark Howard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Texas country, classic rock, metal, and classical. Anything else i can listen to, but not real big on it. I play guitar, but mostly when I'm drunk and naked and standing on the coffee table.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
the only music I ever listen to is while driving, I like the 1980's 90's music by Aretha Franklin, I really hate heavy rock and country music! jazz is OK.

I never buy music or go to concerts or live bands, only what I can get on my car's radio.

I dont really care much for music, I prefer peace and quiet
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Rammstein all the way........
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
There is only one singer I never get tired of listening to.  Give you three guesses...

Ohhh, Oh, Me! Pick me, I'll use a guess...

Velvet Revolver?

OT:  I'm with ya mace.   Music is just another way for yuppies to try to inlfuence or annoy me.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#14]
You've simply never heard good music...

And by the country comments, you are not alone...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Rammstein all the way........

That's all I listen to besides old 80's music and classical.
I don't listen to anything made past the early 90's except Rammstein.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Texas country, classic rock, metal, and classical. Anything else i can listen to, but not real big on it. I play guitar, but mostly when I'm drunk and naked and standing on the coffee table.

+1 on the Texas country.  You ever listen to Adam Carroll? oh yeah, Jerry Jeff Walker is great too.

but yeah,  popular music is stupid. 95% of what I listen to is small-timers with original music.

Rap, pop, "rock", r&b, and country are all about mass marketing the same damn cookie-cutter songs to the same shallow people who absolutely refuse to listen to anything diferent because it might make them look unpopular or unplugged from the zombie herd culture dictated by the same gigantic music factory corporations.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
All I listen to is classic rock I have loaded on my computer. Even the crap on radio isn't worth it. You have to wade through to much talk to listen to any music.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Damn, exactly like me to a "T"
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:47:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is only one singer I never get tired of listening to.  Give you three guesses...

Ohhh, Oh, Me! Pick me, I'll use a guess...

Velvet Revolver?

OT:  I'm with ya mace.   Music is just another way for yuppies to try to inlfuence or annoy me.

Sly

Ya know, there are bands and labels out there that aren't controlled by yuppies right?

Oh, and while I mainly listen to talk radio in the car, not liking at least some sort of music is kind of strange...........
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I like Music. But not to the same extent as a lot of people. I never get obsessed with ONE band or several bands or any bands for that matter. I have a lot of CD's from various people and just like music because it sounds good to my ears, not because of a 'name' or a music style. Lately I have took a liking to instrumental.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#22]
IMHO, the pinnacle of popular music was during the 1980s...most music after 1990 or so sucks by comparison...
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, exactly like me to a "T"

Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Same here...own no music cds, have a few ancient tapes (inherited), listen to music in the car only---and not very often.

Talk Radio Rules!  While reading email I generally listen to Brando Old Time Radio ...classic dramas & mysteries, not the comedy.

Gwen in L.A.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Willie Nelson.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:18:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Willie Nelson.

Woohoo!  The young'un gets it right!

lol not that hard really...The avatar sort of gives it away
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I love music.

It is a significant part of my life, and listen to it several hours a day.

In fact, I just realized reading this that I forgot to turn my radio on downstairs.

I just wish I could play an instrument.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#30]
SOME music........ infrequently.    I turn the dang thing off rather than listen to 99% of that noise.   Some people have  the idea that they Must be entertained by outside stimuli.

Rip
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I only listen to the gansta rap.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been in the entertainment business for 22 years. All I listen to is a little classic rock and lot of
talk radio.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#33]
If you don't appreciate at least one form of music, you have no soul.

Seriously.

Everyone I have ever met that did not have an appreciation for some form of music was extremely disfunctional in some way, usually it's a lack of sympathy/empathy/remorse... mostly criminal/degenerate/serial killer types.  I can't explain it, I just know it to be true.  Not that people who like music don't sometimes lack these qualities as well, but I can always spot these types beforehand by their missing passion for some sort of music.  It's like they are emotionally vapid.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:03:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Seriously.

Everyone I have ever met that did not have an appreciation for some form of music was extremely disfunctional in some way, usually it's a lack of sympathy/empathy/remorse... mostly criminal/degenerate/serial killer types.  I can't explain it, I just know it to be true.  Not that people who like music don't sometimes lack these qualities as well, but I can always spot these types beforehand by their missing passion for some sort of music.  It's like they are emotionally vapid.

Let me guess, you're a guitar player, right?
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone else?

Me--100%.  I only listen to (Country) music if there is absolutely nothing else to listen too.  The only thing I find my distasteful is sports of any kind.  Gimme talk radio any day.  

Pretty much agree. I only turn off the talk radio station when they start broadcasting a game, or they put on those nutrition/medicine shows. If there's no talk to be found, I may put on some rock, but I'm not really paying much attention to it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Seriously.

I agree, and for the record I cannot play any instrument.  

If it's something other than simply an artificial projection of a tough guy image (no time for music or art, only for mud bogging and ass kicking), the inability to see beauty in things indicates a personality defect.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Same as Mace and TBK, here. Talk radio most of the time. Classical music when I'm reading.  Traditional country when talk radio is pre-empted.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a BIG hair metal fan in the 80's. When Nirvanna hit the scene, I went out. I will break out an 80's CD every now and then (Great White in the car currently). Just never have found anything that I really liked and can only handle the old stuff every so often. Funny, I can go 5 years without hearing some of the stuff, pop in the CD, and the words come back in a blink.

For me, its Bill Bennett very early, Boortz for the morning drive in the morning, Hannity for the ride home.

Sometimes I just turn it off and listen to the wind.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I like both kinds of music...heavy and metal

but I listen to lots of other stuff...and I'm a complete FOOL for a woman singing in Irish/Gaelic.  About the only thing I don't like is rap, which we all know is NOT music, and classical, other than Baroque.  10 minutes of any other kind of classical music would have me picking up the nearest blunt object and running amok...it actually gives me a headache and an useasy feeling.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I must admit, I just don't care about music much. I don't listen to it very often, and have no desire to play it. I listen to talk radio about 95% of the time, even if it's flaming liberals or nutcases on. I have a CD walkman that's been gathering dust for the last 5 years or so. I have some MP3s on my computer; I don't really know how many since I hardly ever listen to them.

Seems like almost everyone else around me is obsessed with some band or other, or plays some instrument. They keep trying to tell me about who the members of some band are and what they're doing, but I just don't care. Gimmie Rush Limbaugh any day. Or Neal Boortz, Sean Hannity, Micheal Savage, etc.

Anyone else?

+100

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously.

Let me guess, you're a guitar player, right?

You are very perceptive.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#44]

"If you say it's too loud then you're too fukkin old...!"
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't care about the music industry. The whole who's hot and who's not thing doesn't matter to me. I love to listen to music, and I love to sing. That's all that matters to me. The rest of the music scene I could live without.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top