Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 10:18:08 PM EDT
Well what do you think? Is america stressed out?

I would think yes, things seem simpler but it seems with technology we are given more things to do. In with this we need to keep track of 1,000,000 things all at once. I mean hell how many people have two cell phones a pda a laptop and 2 computers simply to keep up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yea!

What did they have to stress about in 1810's  hmmm well except the war of 1812
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say a helluva lot less now.

Disease is not nearly as much of a problem.  Food is widely plentiful.

Air Conditioning

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, too many problems taken care of here but people whine too damn much. I think that's the problem. What we call stress now was called everyday life back then.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather seems to think so, hell and he lived in the depression with his mother and four children and talks of fish head soup.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The pace of daily life is many, many times faster today than it was then.

Time to think things over.

Time to be with family.

And real communities.

And no liberal counter culture tearing your beliefs down at every opportunity.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Nobdy had to tell my mom to "suck it up and, drive on".   She knew she had to work or we'd be on the street.  I remember about60 days of my life my mom wasn't working.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: Hell yea!  What did they have to stress about in 1810's  hmmm well except the war of 1812
 Those were the good 'ole days when Brits raged across entire continents and could actually sack and burn down capital cities.  It's OK though, they're coming around.

I think it was more stressful back then because infections from small cuts were deadly and your doctor thinks its a good idea to saw off your entire limb, during peacetime.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd say a helluva lot less now.

Disease is not nearly as much of a problem.  Food is widely plentiful.

Air Conditioning

+1

unless you're talking about about "work" related stress... I'd rather "work" than be humping it in the fields or spending 3 days to get to the next town in open air.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]
In the early 1800s, people were too tired from doing chores all day and night.  They didn't have time to feel stressed.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Does America have more stress in life than America in the 1810's?

I'm gonna say no.  Cause if you break it right down.....now you don't ahve to worry about dying from something stupid like syphillus, or influenza.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:43:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Right. No more worries about common illnesses.

Just minor things like carjacking and stray rounds from gang bangers.

And 20 or 30 convicted child molesters in your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:46:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Right. No more worries about common illnesses.

Just minor things like carjacking and stray rounds from gang bangers.

Not a lot of carjackings, or gangbangers out here in the Oklahoma Panhandle
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#13]
From all the self help stuff anf anti-depresants and anxiety meds, i suppose we are. The grass is always greener ofcourse, but i can say i would without a doubt prefer much of the way it was back then as opposed to now. We deal with a hell of a lot more garbage than they did. Life was tough then, and so were they.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#14]
No semi-autos back then.  Much better today.  Plus, we live longer than 30 years now-so of course there is more stress.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:09:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Income taxes

Pollution

Drugs in your kid's school

Violent criminals on parole

Affirmative Action

Car wrecks

Television
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#16]
When you have 200 angry/pissed off Comanche Indians coming after you to scalp you, come talk to us.

Until then, me nadda tink so.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Indian attacks rarley occured in fact.

My list happens EVERY DAY.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That's why Indian tribes were always at war with one another?

Starvation

Disease

Malnutrition

Back-breaking labor

Weather

I think more people were worried about Cholera and TB and Yellow Fever than "income taxes" today.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starvation

Disease

Malnutrition

Back-breaking labor

Weather

I think more people were worried about Cholera and TB and Yellow Fever than "income taxes" today.

The things you listed where rare, and the back breaking labor part, the same jobs exist today.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starvation

Disease

Malnutrition

Back-breaking labor

Weather

The things you listed where rare, and the back breaking labor part, the same jobs exist today.

Oh, were they?

Tell that to the Donner Party and other people who crossed the Oregon and Santa Fe Trails.  

And what about things like Smallpox that killed millions of people???
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:44:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starvation

Disease

Malnutrition

Back-breaking labor

Weather

Oh, were they?

Tell that to the Donner Party and other people who crossed the Oregon and Santa Fe Trails.  

Like I said rare, A very small percent of the general pop.

And disease still plagues man.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:45:08 PM EDT
[#22]
For 95 percent of the people over the age of 70, life (or more correctly, the lack thereof) would have MOST DEFINITELY been a bitch back in 1810...

Life for the remaining 5 percent wouldn't have been a picnic, either - No antibiotics, little understanding of the importance of proper nutrition, exercise, food safety or sewage sanitation; no surgery for even the most minor of afflictions, no effective treatments for 'consumption' (cancer), not much chance of being literate (unless you happened to be born into an upper-class family), scant understanding of any part of the world more than 30 miles from where you were born/lived your entire lifetime/died...

I'll gladly take 2005, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
For 95 percent of the people over the age of 70, life (or more correctly, the lack thereof) would have MOST DEFINITELY been a bitch back in 1810...

Life for the remaining 5 percent wouldn't have been a picnic, either - No antibiotics, little understanding of the importance of proper nutrition, exercise, food safety or sewage sanitation; no surgery for even the most minor of afflictions, no effective treatments for 'consumption' (cancer), not much chance of being literate (unless you happened to be born into an upper-class family), scant understanding of any part of the world more than 30 miles from where you were born/lived your entire lifetime/died...

I'll gladly take 2005, thank you.

Are you serious? Why do so many swear people simply 200 years ago where dumb as door nobs. Many people knew how to read and write, it was a great form of entertainment. And about the only one. And many people went to schools. Not every one lived 500 miles from the nearest person.

ETA: Hell look at the east coast, most people live very close to one another, it wouldn't have made much sense to live 100's of miles from any one. It wasnt practical in the bit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#24]
1800s - No microwave ovens, no grocery stores, no Starbucks, no garbage truck picking up your trash, no push-button heating and air-conditioning of your home, no hopping into a warm shower in the morning,  no cars, no dry cleaners, no washing machines, no dishwashers, no electricity, and no WalMart!

ETA:  No KFC, McDonald's or Burger King.  You had to go out and shoot or catch your meals,
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
1800s - No microwave ovens, no grocery stores, no Starbucks, no garbage truck picking up your trash, no push-button heating and air-conditioning of your home, no hopping into a warm shower in the morning,  no cars, no dry cleaners, no washing machines, no dishwashers, no electricity, and no WalMart!

Yes a simpler way of life.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Less stress now.

Refrigeration

Indoor plumbing

Running water (and hot showers)

Cars

Phones

Medicine

Supermarkets

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Are you serious? Why do so many swear people simply 200 years ago where dumb as door nobs.

On second thought, maybe you're right - 200 years ago, most of the literate folk at least knew how to spell "were" and "door knobs"...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:31:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Starvation

Disease

Malnutrition

Back-breaking labor

Weather

Oh, were they?

Like I said rare, A very small percent of the general pop.

And disease still plagues man.

When's the last time Cholera, Typhoid and Smallpox killed 100,000+ people?  1920's?  And earlier?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top