Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2018 1:26:30 AM EDT
Read the following from the rule and decide if you think binary triggers are exempt or included.

"Therefore,
the Department proposes to exercise its delegated authority to clarify its interpretations of
the statutory terms “single function of the trigger,” “automatically,” and “machinegun.”
Specifically, the Department proposes to amend 27 CFR 479.11 by defining the term
“single function of the trigger” to mean “single pull of the trigger.”
The Department
further proposes to amend these regulations by defining the term “automatically” to mean
“as the result of a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that allows the firing of
multiple rounds through a single pull of the trigger.”

Interpreting the term “automatically” to mean “as the result of a self-acting or
self-regulating mechanism that allows the firing of multiple rounds through a single pull
of the trigger
” also reflects the ordinary meaning of that term at the time of the NFA’s
enactment in 1934."

Read the entire proposed rule here
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Need to shop NRA onto the teachers there
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't ban them, binary triggers fire once on the pull and once on the release
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes

And how many rounds per pull was that...
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
That behavior was protected when the interpretation of automatic was "fires once per function of the trigger". If the language changes to "fires once per pull of the trigger" then the release (function) is no longer taken into consideration, so the binary trigger is legal only so long as you never release it or only had one round of ammo to start with....
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Old Interpretation:

Automatic = fires more than once per function of the trigger

"Function of the trigger" includes PULL and RELEASE

Binary trigger = one round per FUNCTION of the trigger, and even if a robot or a wooden dowel is used to pull and release the trigger, it clearly fires only ONE round per FUNCTION of the trigger

New Interpretation:

Automatic = fires more than once per pull of the trigger

There is no more "function of the trigger" concept. If the pull (and any subsequent actions between pull and another fresh pull) causes two or more rounds to fire, it is a machine gun

Binary trigger = one round on PULL, and another round before you can pull again. It clearly fires TWO rounds per PULL of the trigger (on the basis that only pull actions count, but all rounds dispensed between pulls count)
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Afraid so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 1:57:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The LAW not regulation says specifically “function” as opposed to pull with regards to machine guns, but rifle specifically mentions a pull of the trigger.

NFA text

It’s on page 7 of the file. File is directly from ATFs website.
They can try to claim otherwise, but they can’t rewrite the law and saying congressional intent is what they’ve decided to enact as opposed to what’s written is asinine since the two definitions are very close in the text yet they specifically chose different terminology.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The LAW not regulation says specifically “function” as opposed to pull with regards to machine guns, but rifle specifically mentions a pull of the trigger.

NFA text

View Quote
Have you read the rule?

The executive branch intends on REWRITING THE LAW and ENFORCING THEIR REWRITE OF SAID LAW.

I know what it says in the NFA and GCA. Statutory definitions are supposed to mean something and are NOT supposed to be open to executive fiat and redefinition.

For example, 18 U.S. Code § 1111 section A states that:

Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed, is murder in the first degree.

Should the executive branch have the power to rewrite that to read:

Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being with malice aforethought, or the hurting of feelings in a public setting. Every murder perpetrated by poison, lying in wait, or any other kind of willful, deliberate, malicious, and premeditated killing; or committed in the perpetration of, or attempt to perpetrate, any arson, escape, murder, kidnapping, treason, espionage, sabotage, aggravated sexual abuse or sexual abuse, child abuse, burglary, or robbery; or perpetrated as part of a pattern or practice of assault or torture against a child or children; or perpetrated from a premeditated design unlawfully and maliciously to effect the death of any human being other than him who is killed, is murder in the first degree.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#10]
No, because the NRA lobbied so hard against it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Fuck them, come and take it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, because the NRA lobbied so hard against it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 5:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The NRA threw something with no teeth to the other side for the other side to appease their masses with, in order to buy time for the dust to settle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#14]
MAGA
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The NRA threw something with no teeth to the other side for the other side to appease their masses with, in order to buy time for the dust to settle.
View Quote
DAMN!

And I wanted to make it in before

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#16]
It appears the regulation would also criminalize bump firing even without a bump stock if you were to let the recoil of the firearm trip the trigger (as you don’t even need to ‘pull’ the trigger if the firearm is traveling forward).
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#17]
The new wording would create a dangerous gray area but would not be a direct ban

Binaries fire 1 round on pull. The user can rotate the selector to not fire on release. This backs up that the fire on release is distinctly separate from the round fired on pull, still 1 round per pull.

That being said, I'd rather not have to sell that distinction before some democrat appointed anti-gun crusading judge. We need more pushback against this regulation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The new wording would create a dangerous gray area but would not be a direct ban

Binaries fire 1 round on pull. The user can rotate the selector to not fire on release. This backs up that the fire on release is distinctly separate from the round fired on pull, still 1 round per pull.

That being said, I'd rather not have to sell that distinction before some democrat appointed anti-gun crusading judge. We need more pushback against this regulation.
View Quote
In my opinion binary triggers would be included.  They can fire two rounds per trigger pull. The fact that they have a switch to prevent that doesn't change the fact. Bump stocks also have a switch that limits them to semiauto only. They will only fire in the bump mode if the switch is turned.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
What about crank fired for semi belt feds ?

They are not as the statute says "self operating"
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm sti a felon come October 1st.... so much for no teeth and appeasement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Don’t care. Will not comply.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:49:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

NFA text

They can try to claim otherwise, but they can’t rewrite the law and saying congressional intent is what they’ve decided to enact as opposed to what’s written is asinine since the two definitions are very close in the text yet they specifically chose different terminology.
View Quote
As most of us should have learned long ago, the government can adopt any regulation which it deems to be desirable.
The only relevant question is: Will the courts uphold the regulation?

Anyone who believes that the courts will save us from this edict hasn't been paying attention.
First, the courts are in the lead when it comes to twisting the words in a statute to reach a particular result. Some of us remember the decisions on Obamacare.
Second, the courts have demonstrated that they will go pretty far when the object is to keep automatic weapons out of the hands of the unwashed masses. For recent examples see Hollis v. Lynch and Watson v. Attorney General.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:54:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Old Interpretation:

Binary trigger = one round per FUNCTION of the trigger, and even if a robot or a wooden dowel is used to pull and release the trigger, it clearly fires only ONE round per FUNCTION of the trigger

New Interpretation:

There is no more "function of the trigger" concept. If the pull (and any subsequent actions between pull and another fresh pull) causes two or more rounds to fire, it is a machine gun

Binary trigger = one round on PULL, and another round before you can pull again. It clearly fires TWO rounds per PULL of the trigger (on the basis that only pull actions count, but all rounds dispensed between pulls count)
View Quote
Actually the word PULL still doesn’t make it an MG. Are you “PULLING” a trigger when it’s realeased? Ask Mr Webster and he will say no.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#24]
OP, according to the definition you posted, bump stocks sound legal to me. The trigger gets functioned or pulled each time for a new round to fire. It is all manufactured wordsmithing unconstitutional bullshit anyway.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:56:02 AM EDT
[#25]
In before some Fudd posts "sorry your girl lost"
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#26]
functioning as a self
-
acting or self
-
regulating mechanism that harnesses
the recoil energy of the
semiautomatic
firearm in a manner that allows the trigger to reset
and continue firing without additional physical manipulation of the trigger
by the shoote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't sweat it. You get used to it.

And it gets easier each time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:12:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Need to shop NRA onto the teachers there
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Actually the word PULL still doesn’t make it an MG. Are you “PULLING” a trigger when it’s realeased? Ask Mr Webster and he will say no.
View Quote

Webster ceased to be relevant when Bill Clinton said, "It depends on what your definition of 'is' is."
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:17:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes

And how many rounds per pull was that...
View Quote
One thrust per squeeze.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Oh, but they're just stupid gimmicks too so nobody could possibly mind if we ban them. It's not like they have a practical purpose so it's ok to throw them under the bus, and doing so will surely benefit us in the long term.

Something about water hoses...

Also, eagerly awaiting the hickock45 video.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don’t care. Will not comply.
View Quote
I won't either but this will surely mean the death of me, should I be challenged on it by law enforcement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes, and because it is hidden in banning bumpstocks, many will not know and will gleeful cheer it because "hurr durr gotta get rid of them thar bumpstocks to protect the 2A" attitude that even several here have
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yes, and because it is hidden in banning bumpstocks, many will not know and will gleeful cheer it because "hurr durr gotta get rid of them thar bumpstocks to protect the 2A" attitude that even several here have
View Quote
 “Hurr durr, its just a piece of plastic.”
 Yeah so are some sleds but see how fast that sumbitch accelerates down the slippery slope when it starts.

But you know GD is functionally retarded on some issues.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#35]
MATFGA
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Read the following from the rule and decide if you think binary triggers are exempt or included.

"Therefore,
the Department proposes to exercise its delegated authority to clarify its interpretations of
the statutory terms “single function of the trigger,” “automatically,” and “machinegun.”
Specifically, the Department proposes to amend 27 CFR 479.11 by defining the term
“single function of the trigger” to mean “single pull of the trigger.”
The Department
further proposes to amend these regulations by defining the term “automatically” to mean
“as the result of a self-acting or self-regulating mechanism that allows the firing of
multiple rounds through a single pull of the trigger.”

Interpreting the term “automatically” to mean “as the result of a self-acting or
self-regulating mechanism that allows the firing of multiple rounds through a single pull
of the trigger
” also reflects the ordinary meaning of that term at the time of the NFA’s
enactment in 1934."

Read the entire proposed rule here
View Quote

Based on the wording, it would seem that the proposed encompasses any and all resulting firing of multiple rounds from the initial single pull of a trigger.
Regardless of any specific mechanical function that allows for it.

Yep, binary trigger will certainly fall under this interpretation.

Even it did not, you can rest assured that they will go after those next.
All anyone needs to do is watch an advert video from Franklin Armory to realize the "firing of multiple rounds" down range is the target of the Left.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Fine.  They interpret it as a pull.  I shall design a gun that fires repeatedly and automatically when the trigger is pushed.  And it will not be a machine gun.  

In fact, I think we now have carte blanche to build as many Maxim machine guns as we want.

ETA:  Browning .50s too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old Interpretation:

New Interpretation:

Doesn't matter, the proposed interpretation speaks to the initial pull, setting into motion a chain of mechanical events that result in multiple rounds being fired.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Fine.  They interpret it as a pull.  I shall design a gun that fires repeatedly and automatically when the trigger is pushed.  And it will not be a machine gun.  

In fact, I think we now have carte blanche to build as many Maxim machine guns as we want....
View Quote
Then they will simply propose new, new interpretation, that says "initial actuation of" a trigger.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#40]
I suspect the reason so many non-ARF gun owners don't give a shit about the whole bump stock/binary trigger thing is because it you just look at the responses in this thread I don't think half the peeps posting  seem to know what they are talking about, much less able to explain it to fellow gun owners "out in the wild".

I've tried and usually just go with the one bang per pull of finger as far as bump stocks go (they understand that) and don't even try to confuse them with the binary trigger stuff because to be honest I'm not sure about it myself.

I have a Tac-Con 3mr drop in trigger I got with a lower i bought. Hell, I don't even know what the third position does, I just like the trigger pull in the normal position as it's a great hunting trigger.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

In fact, I think we now have carte blanche to build as many Maxim machine guns as we want.

ETA:  Browning .50s too.
View Quote
If it only counts pulling the trigger, then they open themselves up to other creative ways to operate a trigger. Push, Depress, Move, Rotate, Slide, Apply pressure, Actuate, etc.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Solution to this is a push-button for a trigger. Or a butterfly lever.

No trigger = no machine gun. Gimme an electric button for full auto. Or even a butterfly lever like on the M2. Thanks, ATF.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
OP, according to the definition you posted, bump stocks sound legal to me. The trigger gets functioned or pulled each time for a new round to fire. It is all manufactured wordsmithing unconstitutional bullshit anyway.
View Quote
That has been discussed before and is correct. As written, bump stocks do not violate the bump stock ban. Binary triggers do.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Don't sweat it. You get used to it.

And it gets easier each time.
View Quote
Felony rap sheet, collect them all!
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Whats even more concerning is in the past ATF has ruled that guns that can readily accept machine gun parts such as three pin lowers on ARs HK pinned lowers etc are illegal without a stamp. When the Bump Stock becomes a machine gun part then its logical to conclude that any gun that can readily accept one will need a stamp.

We will probably have to have some buffer tube that will not work with a bump stock since the bumpstock somehow easily creates a machine gun according to Trump and the NRA.

To all the idiots that think this is low hanging fruit this is the keys to the entire farm. If they can ban accessories at will then say goodbye to anything ever used in the next mass shooting. Its written that its to ban anything that increases the rate of fire of a rifle. Well Mags do that comps and alot of other things. Those can all be on the chopping block now thanks to this ruling.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Actually the word PULL still doesn't make it an MG. Are you "PULLING" a trigger when it's realeased? Ask Mr Webster and he will say no.
View Quote
"A spring is pulling the trigger to it's reset position, and since, the shooter, pulled the trigger against the spring,
they therefore, are pulling the trigger to release it." - ATF Opinion letter coming soon
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#47]
It's not an immediate redetermination on binary triggers as instant illegal mgs the second this rule passes, but the wording does allow for a near future redetermination that binary are mgs without a new proposed rule change.

After this rule passes (pending litigation), all it will take is 1 asshole to submit a letter requesting clarification and then we will see...

One thing binary has going for it is the huge prevalence of DOUBLE BARREL TRAP GUNS that shoot one barrel on pull and one on release... I binary.

You can't ban binary without banning half the fudds trap guns that are out there ...

So either binary will be allowed to stand despite the "pull" language, or all the fudds that supported bump bans, AWB, and mag limits will have to give up their trap guns due to the bullshit they supported.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#48]
It's all 55 pages of preposterous statements like on Page 5

"These (prior) decisions did not include an extensive legal analysis relating to the definition of machinegun"

The government claims that until the Vegas shooting they never did a an extensive legal analysis?   Really?  Akins went through the 11th circuit.

On to another point people forget:

It is a scientific fact that a semi-automatic AR-15 has the same cyclic rate as the machinegun version the M-16.

They both contain the same essential operating mechanism (other than a mechanical trip in the trigger assembly of the M-16).  Both have the same cyclic rate or the time it takes to complete a single cycle of the firing mechanism.

Any semiautomatic firearm can fire as fast as a machinegun (and always could).  This is why Jerry M. can do what he does...

All semi-automatic firearms are intrinsically capable of being "bump fired" stock or no stock.  Without the mastering of this shooting technique first, a bump stock does nothing.   Anybody think they might move the goal post to include any semiautomatic some day?

The government claims that the bump firing technique is lawful, but using a stock to do it in a safer more accurate manner is unlawful, and it's the rate of fire that is the concern even though the stock has nothing to do with the cyclic rate of the host firearm.

This list of statements that require a suspension of disbelief of the natural sciences is legion.  ATF experts will be impeached with them...(They thought the shoe string was bad in court).
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#49]
If the summery you posted was the complete statute I’d agree they would fall under the ban. Problem is that summery does not include the part about no physical manipulation required after the pull to keep firing. A binary trigger only fires once when pulled. You must physically manipulate (also known as release) to fire another round. Does not meet their definition of automatic under the old or new complete statute.
According to the summery the ATF has been using the pull definition since 2006 to accept or deny products brought to market. You’re focused on a word they already use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's not an immediate redetermination on binary triggers as instant illegal mgs the second this rule passes, but the wording does allow for a near future redetermination that binary are mgs without a new proposed rule change.

After this rule passes (pending litigation), all it will take is 1 asshole to submit a letter requesting clarification and then we will see...

One thing binary has going for it is the huge prevalence of DOUBLE BARREL TRAP GUNS that shoot one barrel on pull and one on release... I binary.

You can't ban binary without banning half the fudds trap guns that are out there ...

So either binary will be allowed to stand despite the "pull" language, or all the fudds that supported bump bans, AWB, and mag limits will have to give up their trap guns due to the bullshit they supported.
View Quote
It is a lot worse than that, but I'll save that part for a later thread.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top