Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 5:45:34 PM EDT
I had been looking for a new pickup and was dreading the 24k-30k prices when I stumbled across a deal too good to pass up. I found a 2001 Ram 1500 extended cab that the guy just wanted out from under the payments. He had just received a new company car and didn't need the truck anymore.

It has 40k on it and has been garage kept since new. 318 V8 with a 5 speed manual, he put a K&N filter on it and a set of FlowMasters. The 5 speed is geared a little higher than the last manual truck I had (84 Chevy with a granny 4 speed) but it runs pretty good.

Now my question: What can I do about the headlights???? This thing has the weakest low beams I've ever seen. The brights I can live with but something has to be done with the lows. He installed an aftermarket set of fog lamps but I don't like the way they are set up. How much will the factory setup cost to retrofit? Suggestions?

The other thing I can fix with a piece of black tape. It's that stupid shift arrow that comes on when it thinks you should shift up or down. Around town it wants you shift 1st/3rd/5th seems like. If I wanted the truck to control things I would have bought an auto.

I was driving a 78 Chevy heavy half before finding this gem so it's all good now.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought a similar truck two weeks ago.  Same set up basically.  I think the lights are fine.  Maybe try a set of new bulbs?  I think there's a limit to the brightness of a headlight on 'low beam' setting, but I haven't the slightest idea what that value is.  I would assume a new bulb would hug that value.

Hmm, not 100% sure, good luck.  Got my set up with 20k miles, quad cab, v8, 5 speed, 318, power everything, pioneer cd player, etc etc for 19,250.  Had to be militant on the negotiations.  The sticker was 23,500.  I started the salesman at 18,000.  Montly payments at $400.

~H
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, Chevy man here.  [;)]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Picked this one up for 11,975. I had seen 2000 and 01's with more miles going for between 14K and 17K depending on options.

What I mean by weak lights is there seems to be very little light in the middle of the road. The areas around the side of the road are lit up but not right in front of the truck. I guess the nose is so big the light doesnt shine around the grill.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, and I'm not being sarcastic, did you align the headlights so they point in the right direction?  That'd throw off the light output considerably, especially from the drivers seat.

Forgive me if I'm asking the simple questions, just trying to help...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top