Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/27/2002 5:39:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/27/2002 5:40:00 PM EDT by superdav]
i'm considering buying one this week, they have $6500 rebates at the local dealer. i went to buy today but they didn't have one with a third seat. they will locate one monday. with that kind of rebate and the 7/70 warranty its hard to pass up what is your opinion?
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:44:05 PM EDT
When we bought ours, the third seat was a big factor. We ended up with the Durango R/T, and have been very happy with it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:46:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:55:06 PM EDT
The wife has a 2001 that is great. I like it a lot. The 3rd seat is nice, not necessary, but nice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:03:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:24:20 PM EDT
2 things you MUST have 3rd seat (resale) rear air (comfort) nice rig we have 92 k on ours, runs and drives like new. trying to talk to wife into a red R/T to match my TA still working on that issue. I think you will be happy buy it with the 4.7
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:32:00 PM EDT
I will take a different route and say that I did not get the third seat in my '99 Durrango. I use my truck "off road" monthly and the space comes in great. I can still get in 4 guys and a weeks hunting/camoing gear. 5 guys if we squeese in and pack it well. Only problem are the defective Dodge breaks. Expect to replace them quickly. I didn't get the nice radio, and it sucks. You can turn the volume up all day long and you still can't hear the damn thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:33:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:36:22 PM EDT
Bought my wife a '99. She loved it. It has a better truning radius then my Vette! Anyway we spent the last year looking around to trade it in for a new one. Looked at wagons, SUVs, sedans. Ended up trading it in for a 2002 Durango. 'Nuff said.
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:44:04 PM EDT
I had a 2001 Durango R/T until 2 weeks ago, where I sold it for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler. Why, you ask? LArgly it was that it was EXPENSIVE. As in, about $100 a WEEK in gas. Easily $30 a stop, and if I drove anywhere else during the week...see, I commute to work. Having to fill 2 or 3 times a week (3 definitily, during summer, with the AC on, and thats JUST going to work, not going anywhere on weekends) grates really fast, and so does the money loss. This is paying NJ prices, mind you. (Damn cheap, comparitivly, in this area) Even with a tradein (3k to the durango there) and another 2k cash, and a 1.9% APR, I was still paying close to $600/month for it. I didn't even pay sticker, either. I paid far closer to invoice than to sticker. Admittidly, it was loaded; everything except a cd changer and the tow package...but, still. The car had close to 28k miles on it when I sold it. Everyone I know of who has a Durango, told me from experience...at around 40-50k, the rear end really likes eating itself. I don't know if it was their driving habits, their particular power train, whatever....but, everyone, every SINGLE one, has had to rebuild some part of the drive train. As it was, I had to have surgery on the transmission just before I got rid of it (it was one of the reasons I finally said screw it, time to go back to a simple, cheap Wrangler)...I went through a PUDDLE, and the bloody thing all the sudden forgot about first gear. It'd try to go from a stop in 2nd gear. Not good when you got a 360 and AWD [:)] Mind you, this is something that's billed as an SUV, a vehicle capeable of going at least moderatly off-road. If it can't even go through a puddle....(it was some valve body thingie that needed to be replaced. I'm a computer weenie, and gun geek. I'm not a damn car mechanic. I have no idea why it broke, or even what part broke, and where it was. All I know is it was transmission related. [:P]) I also got seriously screwed on the tradein, when I went to get rid of it. Trade-in value was 23k. I still owed 25 on the note. Go to www.kbb.com and check possible resale values...unlike most SUV's, these thing's resale values plummet. By the time you break even, it's almost not worth having bought it in the first place. Now, all that being said - I LOVED THE CAR. I truly did. It wasn't particularly quick, given that it had a 360 and was capeable of sooo much more. But, it was quick when it counted, as nimble or more than as nimble as the Intrepid ES I had before it. The leather seats were comfortable, and the heated seats were just...mmmm. Never had them before. [:)] I'm really going to miss those, and I'm also going to seriously miss the steering wheel mounted radio controls. Those are a *lifesaver*, truly. However, for pushing 35-40k...you'd figure you'd get at least an automatic climate control of some kind. Even my (much cheaper by comparison) Intrepid had that. But, alas...plain old knobs and dials. Ah well. You pays your money and you takes your chances, I guess. I didn't particularly want, need, or like the 3rd row seat. I actually didn't want it, but it was all my dealer could find, so I took it. Folded it down, and got the cargo space I wanted back. Oh, BTW - A normal-sized FAL or L1A1 will NOT fit in the rear straight, either direction, with the seat down...it will only fit in diagonally, muzzle to one corner, stock to the corner of the tailgate [:)] Just thought I'd give that hint [:)] (continued...)
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 6:44:42 PM EDT
(continued...) Depending on how you drive and what you carry around, and if you really need to go vaugly off-road, or if you occasionally drive on a gravel/dirt road and that's it...a Durango will do quite well. For me, it didn't fit. For you, it might. Also, mine only had a 3/36...This year, they rolled out the 7/70, and if I had that, I may have actually hung on to it, or at least not felt so skittish about time running out on it. YMMV, only my opinion... Ed
Link Posted: 7/27/2002 7:12:37 PM EDT
I have a 2001 SLT 5.9L 2wd, with limited slip differential, 3rd seat, infinity sound, and rear air........LOVE IT! True, it does get less than perfect gas mileage...but it's [b]LOUD[/b], and [b]FAST[/b] (for an SUV), and THAT is what really matters, isn't it? [:D] I am planning to add a set of headers, Flowmasters, and a Mopar Performance ECM in the near future Miles Per Gallon is not a big issue with me (other vehicles include a TransAm with a 455 in it that gets around 8 MPG) Im really pleased with my Durango (to spite being more or less a GM guy) I think it is everything the late model Chevy Blazer should have been.
Top Top