Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 8:58:34 AM EDT
I have been running a drop in K&N air filter for almost a year now in my 2002 24v. I have not noticed any problems with either the filter or the turbo and my stock air box has been free of dust. BUT, I have been reading some information on more topic specific websites and I have learned that the oiled K&N air filter is a BAD idea on a CTD because of the volume of air involved and the potential for PULLING dust and debris through filter. My questions are:

Who here runs a K&N in their CTD? Do the owners of "other" diesel trucks (Ford, GM, etc..)have similar concerns? Should I drop the K&N and go for the large paper element with no air box?  

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been running it in my 2001 Ram CTD since they made them for that modle and no problems. IIRC Dodge said it would void the warenty if they catch you with it in there. I just put in a paper one any time it goes in for service. I spoke to several dealers with Cummins and they recomend it for their motors.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
K&N style filters:
When you absolutely need to get an overpriced filter that doesn't filter very well...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I have also heard that if you are running a K&N and your turbo fails, the warranty may not work out in your favor. This is the second vehicle I that I have operated with a K&N and I do like the filters. I just don't want to screw up my motor in dusty conditions..........
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Would a foam pre-filter be OK?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
K&N style filters:
When you absolutely need to get an overpriced filter that doesn't filter very well...

My AirRaid system on my F-150 saves me 2mpg. My throttle body is cleaner than any plate you have ever eaten off of after 60,000 miles.

I bet you use fram dont you
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
K&N style filters:

My AirRaid system on my F-150 saves me 2mpg. My throttle body is cleaner than any plate you have ever eaten off of after 60,000 miles.

Actually,  my 00 Crown Vic has a 03 Marauder air intake which uses a German Mann paper filter.

I used to use a Accel Kool Blue and a K&N filter, but the cotton gauze let through so much sand and dirt that I just didn't use it anymore. I did not notice any increase in gas mileage. I drive through a dusty corn field after drag racing... One time I had my paper filter and went home to tap out half the Sahara desert. The next time I went racing, I used the K&N. I went home and tapped it out to find nothing other than a bug or two. Where did all the sand and grit go? In the engine.

I doubt your throttle body is super clean because your PCV is pumping in a steady stream of hot oil vapor. At 10k miles, your upper intake elbow and TB plate should be pitch black (downstream of the fresh air intake). Remove your air intake hose, open up the throttle and look at the back of the plate. It should be OILY and black.

My Vic's TB plate on the front is totally clean. Paper filters filter very well.

If cotton gauze + oil worked well as filters you'd see them on HMMWVs and other tactical trucks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
K&N style filters:

Actually,  my 00 Crown Vic has a 03 Marauder air intake which uses a German Mann paper filter.

I used to use a Accel Kool Blue and a K&N filter, but the cotton gauze let through so much sand and dirt that I just didn't use it anymore. I did not notice any increase in gas mileage. I drive through a dusty corn field after drag racing... One time I had my paper filter and went home to tap out half the Sahara desert. The next time I went racing, I used the K&N. I went home and tapped it out to find nothing other than a bug or two. Where did all the sand and grit go? In the engine.

I doubt your throttle body is super clean because your PCV is pumping in a steady stream of hot oil vapor. At 10k miles, your upper intake elbow and TB plate should be pitch black (downstream of the fresh air intake). Remove your air intake hose, open up the throttle and look at the back of the plate. It should be OILY and black.

My Vic's TB plate on the front is totally clean. Paper filters filter very well.

If cotton gauze + oil worked well as filters you'd see them on HMMWVs and other tactical trucks.

tactical trucks?

Not mine but this truck gets driven into the ground.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Please don't let this turn into a pissing match. I am just looking for some advice on K&N vs large paper element especially with a turbo diesel application.

Thank you
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
K&N style filters:

+1  I've tried these on a couple of vehicles and have found that they don't always
fit as well as stock, allowing some unfiltered air to pass.  

I know on the Porsche 928 in particular, it's specifically recomended NOT to use
them because of poor fit, and has been responsible for some damage.  Also depending on what kind of MAF the vehicle uses, and the location of the filter relative to that, you may have issues from the filtering oil dripping onto the MAF.  If you have the older style hot wire MAF well, you have been warned
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
OK...

I use a K&N drop in on my Dakota (not a diesel obvously but I have a question and hope you don't mind me asking it in your thread Karl) ... and it drops right in. But I want to replace it with a paper filter while I clean the K&N. So... I have bought both a FRAM and a Purolator filters and neither fit in the airbox!

What the heck? Anyone else have this problem? What filters fit (really fit, because the book says those two will fit my truck...) a 4.7l V-8?

I have trimmed the foam from around the top of the filter just to see if it will fit (and seal) but I am not holding out much hope.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT for the east coast just gettin' off work crowd.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Please don't let this turn into a pissing match. I am just looking for some advice on K&N vs large paper element especially with a turbo diesel application.

Thank you

I was dodging the mis-information. I got a picture that proves they dont gum up your intake.

Take words for what you wish.

I'm out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have decided that as long as I stay on-road, the K&N will be OK. The only reservation that I have about the exposed paper element is the volnurability to splashing mud.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#14]
You may wish to frequent this site: www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php?s=

For any and all CTD questions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I used a pair of those on back in 85 on an Iroc with factory Bosch Hotwire Maf sensor. It ate two of them. Little did I know then that the K&N's were the cause. Thankfully were in warranty at the time.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as voiding your warranty, the only way they can do that is if you bring it in for a problem, and they can prove what ever the modification (or in this case, filter) you added is what caused the problem.  They can't void your warranty just because you're running a different air filter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top