Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 2:14:23 PM EDT
Looking to get a newer truck. i have a 90 ford with the 7.3 but its non turbo. i have heard a lot of good stuff on the dodges 5.9 cummings. Not really a car person. I would think the 5.9 would get pretty good mpg. Truck is going to be 4 doors and 4 wheel drive.

Anything to know about the differences?

stuck
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:16:13 PM EDT
Whole lotta aftermarket for 5.9s, and most of the guess work has been done so you don't have to. Same with a 7.3 though. Tough call.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:17:17 PM EDT
Quoted:
Looking to get a newer truck. i have a 90 ford with the 7.3 but its non turbo. i have heard a lot of good stuff on the dodges 5.9 cummings. Not really a car person. I would think the 5.9 would get pretty good mpg. Truck is going to be 4 doors and 4 wheel drive.

stuck

What is a cummings?
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:17:28 PM EDT
Get the super duty and put the cummins in it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:20:58 PM EDT
if you aint cummin, you're just strokin
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:21:35 PM EDT
It's not a Dodge 5.9.

It's a Cummins, and it's where it's at.

ETA- In my experiences, the 7.3's were dogs, but seemed to run okay.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:22:45 PM EDT
7.3 by far the best diesel engine
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:22:48 PM EDT
Quoted:

stuck

Sounds like it's time for you to step up to a Powerstroke. If you get a 94.5-97 truck, many of the parts from your 7.3L IDI truck will be compatible. This includes, but is not limited to the transmission, many interior parts, transfer case, suspension, driveline, and wheels.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:23:40 PM EDT
7.3 all the way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:29:44 PM EDT
Toyota.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 2:33:53 PM EDT
Cummins all the way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:02:51 PM EDT
Quoted:
if you aint cummin, you're just strokin

Cummin is strokins mess.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:10:42 PM EDT
Quoted:
7.3 all the way.

And not only for the engine but also for the better front end, axels and trans.

Buy a Dodge and it will be ball joints, U joints and wheel bearings every 12-18 months.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:12:34 PM EDT
You won't see any measurable difference between a 5.9 Cummins and the 7.3 Powerstroke Navistar in mileage.  Displacement doesn't matter, it is the weight of the truck in starting from a stop and the aerodynamic drag which consume diesel.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:14:07 PM EDT
Quoted:
It's not a Dodge 5.9.

We've had 2 F-250s w/ 7.3s in them. The first was a 2wd, non-turbo. It was an absolute dog. The second is a 4wd, turbo, and it is an unstoppable machine. In my statistically insignificant sample of one of each, the engines themselves were fine, but the turbo made all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:19:14 PM EDT
Find a 2005 F350 with a hatched 6.0L, buy it CHEAP. Pony up for a reman 5.9 Gen 2 Cummins and have the best of both worlds. The 05 Ford front end is not the greatest, but beter than the Dodge.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:19:49 PM EDT
I'm personally a chevy guy. BUT my dad has a newer Ram 2500HD with the megacab 4x4 etc and that truck out performs my uncle and cousins fords. And my dad gets over 20 mpg. I get 11, so I am envious of him.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:27:18 PM EDT
Quoted:
Find a 2005 F350 with a hatched 6.0L, buy it CHEAP. Pony up for a reman 5.9 Gen 2 Cummins and have the best of both worlds. The 05 Ford front end is not the greatest, but beter than the Dodge.

My understanding is late 2005 onward the 6.0 had the intake/exhaust and cylinder head issues worked out and it is a superior motor to the 7.3.  However, with only 2yrs of good production it will forever be branded as crap.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:28:42 PM EDT
Quoted:

what about the 6.9?

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:30:03 PM EDT
Quoted:
I'm personally a chevy guy. BUT my dad has a newer Ram 2500HD with the megacab 4x4 etc and that truck out performs my uncle and cousins fords. And my dad gets over 20 mpg. I get 11, so I am envious of him.

The 90 7.3 you are looking at is a POS Indirect Injection Diesel, also known as an IDI. Absolutely worthless from a performance standpoint.  No aftermarket support, no power potential, just a motor that chugs along.  It makes 185hp and 360tq.  The super low power level does equal a reliable engine because nothing is stressed.  MPG's in the low teens usually.

The power stroke 7.3 came out in mid 1994 and ran through mid 2003.  People love them but they are dogs too with fragile powdered metal rods in most years.   Diesel power did a build up with a 99 7.3 and it cost them $14,000 to get to 500hp.  A 5.9 can hit 500 with just a fuel plate and injectors.

Both of those motors have worthless transmissions too.  The 47 series Dodges blow and the Ford eod is weak as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:32:45 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not a Dodge 5.9.

We've had 2 F-250s w/ 7.3s in them. The first was a 2wd, non-turbo. It was an absolute dog. The second is a 4wd, turbo, and it is an unstoppable machine. In my statistically insignificant sample of one of each, the engines themselves were fine, but the turbo made all the difference in the world.

The non-turbo is a totally different engine.  Indirect injection with a Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.  The turbo is the Powerstroke, a hydraulically-powered, electrical triggered unit injector (one for each cylinder).  Engine oil is pressurized to several thousand PSI for the HEUIs, a high pressure fuel pump then charges the rail with diesel at a few thousand PSI.  The unit  injector has a piston which has a great area for the oil and a tiny area for the diesel, it intensifies the diesel to 20,000+ PSI when the electric solenoid lets the high pressure engine oil to the injector.

Diesel and oil normally do not mix.  The advantage here is precise timing with electronic controls and in later models, split shot injection ability where a smaller pre-ignition shot damps the diesel clatter.  

Now, the Cummins in the era of the 7.3 used distributor type VP44 Bosch injection pumps.  These are single plunger distributor systems which were initially all mechanical, then switched to the electronic modulation/timing.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:35:23 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

what about the 6.9?

Indirect injection with Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.  Durable but a dog.  Much like the GM 6.2 Detroit Diesel of the 1980s.  Indirect injection is somewhat less efficient as heat is lost in the precombustion chamber in the head.  They work fine, service on the injection pumps is very easy.   Great choice for the DIY or TEOTWAWKI types.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:35:24 PM EDT

Quoted:

Get the super duty and put the cummins in it.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:41:59 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what about the 6.9?

Indirect injection with Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.  Durable but a dog.  Much like the GM 6.2 Detroit Diesel of the 1980s.  Indirect injection is somewhat less efficient as heat is lost in the precombustion chamber in the head.  They work fine, service on the injection pumps is very easy.   Great choice for the DIY or TEOTWAWKI types.

Huh.  Thank you.  There is one in the area (4 speed, four wheel drive) for cheap that has caught my eye.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 5:48:53 PM EDT

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what about the 6.9?

Huh.  Thank you.  There is one in the area (4 speed, four wheel drive) for cheap that has caught my eye.

Should be Dana 60 front axle.  Great one there.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:13:43 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not a Dodge 5.9.

The non-turbo is a totally different engine.  Indirect injection with a Stanadyne DB2 injection pump.  The turbo is the Powerstroke, a hydraulically-powered, electrical triggered unit injector (one for each cylinder).  Engine oil is pressurized to several thousand PSI for the HEUIs, a high pressure fuel pump then charges the rail with diesel at a few thousand PSI.  The unit  injector has a piston which has a great area for the oil and a tiny area for the diesel, it intensifies the diesel to 20,000+ PSI when the electric solenoid lets the high pressure engine oil to the injector.

Diesel and oil normally do not mix.  The advantage here is precise timing with electronic controls and in later models, split shot injection ability where a smaller pre-ignition shot damps the diesel clatter.  

Now, the Cummins in the era of the 7.3 used distributor type VP44 Bosch injection pumps.  These are single plunger distributor systems which were initially all mechanical, then switched to the electronic modulation/timing.

Interesting. That explains a lot. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:18:43 PM EDT
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

what about the 6.9?

Should be Dana 60 front axle.  Great one there.

The Dana 44-IFS-HD (Independent front suspension––-heavy duty) is available on F-250 4X4. The Dana 50 IFS (Independent front suspension) is available on F-250 4X4 equipped with Heavy Duty Front End option or F-250 Super Cab models.

The Dana 60 was not available on the F250 until 1999, but was available on the F350 before then. The Dana 50 stayed with the Excursion through 2005.

This truck probably has the Dana 50
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:39:19 PM EDT
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is late 2005 onward the 6.0 had the intake/exhaust and cylinder head issues worked out and it is a superior motor to the 7.3.  However, with only 2yrs of good production it will forever be branded as crap.

I bought a brand new 2005 F350 and was later told that the truck is an 05, but he engine is an 03....wtf..  Yes, it was crap.
Top Top