Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/2/2002 10:37:35 AM EST
Question for you guys... My father-in-law recently passed away, and while going through his belongings, found a Bronze Star he received while in Viet Nam. He never liked to talk about his time in country, so we don't know what specifically resulted in him receiving this award. I would like to find out the story so his grandchildren (my two boys) will know more about him and have a chance to appreciate what he did even more. Any idea on how I can get a copy of the documentation regarding why he received this? Thanks for your help, and thanks for serving our country!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:02:30 PM EST
You might try: [url]www.nara.gov/regional/mpr.html[/url] Keep in mind that there is the Bronze Star and the Bronze Star with “V” device. The standard Bronze Star was given for meritorious service in RVN and, quite frankly, was given out pretty freely (I got one!). Any write-up for one may be a little disappointing. The Bronze Star with “V” device is IMHO a very different story. The “V” device was given for valor in combat. A write-up for this medal should be a lot more interesting and more along the lines of what you’re probably expecting. If you know your father-in-law’s unit, you can probably find one or more privately owned web sites on it run by veterans of the unit. While they vary greatly, these sites can have quite a bit of good information (though probably not the write-up you’re looking for). You might even be able to find someone who knew your father-in-law.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:23:59 PM EST
Thanks for the info 199, I'll see what I can find!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:08:05 PM EST
199 is correct with regard to the Bronze Star, and the difference between a 'Valor' award or a merit award. Since your Father-in Law passed away, I believe you can write the National Personnel Record Center 9700 Page Bvd. St. Louis ,Mo. 63132-5200. You will need to know his full name, SSN, Army service #, Branch of service, or state veteran entered service. In this archive is where his Army Personnel records would be kept. Including awards and citations, as kin you are entitled to a copy of his records, I believe. The National Archives in Suitland, MD., Vietnam Records Section would have things like After Action Reports and other avenues you could explore. Many Vietnam units have active web sights and if you know his unit and dates of 'in country service', you will most likely to find out what you are looking for. If he was a disabled veteran the organization that rep'ed him might have award letters as well. If you have any difficulty BC me. GIB 199th LIB 66-67 187th AHC 67-68
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:21:30 PM EST
Thanks to you too gib187th!
Top Top