Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2001 10:01:14 AM EDT
[url]http://newsmax.com/showinsidecover.shtml?a=2001/3/29/112300[/url]
Clintons attacks on medical privacy ...tomorow last day Sec Thompson hear arguements as to why this should not be past..not only will govt agencies have
access to your medical/family/drug records but  physicians will be forced to refuse treatment to any non cooperative patien
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
As a doc I dont ask patients about guns and I never have. And I am a firm believer in doctor-patient confidentiality.  However, I should have the right to treat and not to treat whom ever I want if its not an emergency.  There are an amazing number of patients that dont do the things that are required. When things go wrong, these people are the first to file suit. They miss appointments, they dont take their medications, they take drugs etc.  So why should I be forced to help these people if they dont care about themselves? People need to take some respondsibility for themseleves and their actions.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Whether or not my patient has a gun doesnt matter to the treatment.

If the patient is carrying a gun while I am treating him or her on the street I will notify the police, my own safety first. If the person if lawfully carrying a gun(there's a very few in the Netherlands, no CCW permits given out) he can retrieve his weapon and he is given a receipt for the weapon.

But I couldnt care less if my patient is a gunowner, or better if he's ABC stable it gives us something to chat about.

My job is AVPU, Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Disability AMPLE and a head to toe exam. I am a paramedic, not godallmighty to judge someone for owning firearms.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't generally ask, though I have a couple of times due to legit concerns. Most docs are afraid of guns, even some of those that own one or two. This is not completely their fault-most are mama's boys who were neutered long before puberty. Its really quite sad. When I was young I always looked up to docs and they seemed to actually have balls. Man have times changed. My goal after I pay off my student loans(more than most mortgages-ugh) is to find some way to work for myself or find another career.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't doubt that this is going on, but I also don't think this is going very far.  I work with docs and can assure you that they are already buried in paperwork.  My guess is that the last thing most docs want to do is build a database of paper for someone else.  If they think it will somehow allow them to deliver better care, they may be interested, but that is about it.  Of course, there are always folks with an agenda just like any other profession.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top