Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:19:17 PM EST

Doctors Say Obesity Not A Disability
AMA Wants To Be Able To Discuss Overweight Patients

CHICAGO –– The American Medical Association says it has taken action to support doctors' ability to discuss obesity with their overweight patients.

Under a new policy adopted Tuesday, the AMA formally opposes efforts by advocacy groups to define obesity as a disability.

Doctors fear using that definition makes them vulnerable under disability laws to lawsuits from obese patients who don't want their doctors to discuss their weight.

Doctors took the action at their annual meeting in Chicago.

In other action Tuesday, the AMA agreed to lobby for legislation to ban selling tobacco in pharmacies.

Health care reform issues are slated to come up later at the meeting, which ends Wednesday.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:26 PM EST
This is gonna be good.

IBT people that say that all obesity stems from people feeding their faces.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:21:42 PM EST
good for them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:23:27 PM EST
Has anyone else noticed all the obese nurses?

You would think that nurses would have the sense to control themselves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:23:59 PM EST
amen
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:24:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 1:25:19 PM EST by AR4U]
Originally Posted By Deej86:
This is gonna be good.

No, some obesity comes from the twinkie elves stuffing peoples' faces while they're asleep.

If you eat more calories than you burn, you get fat. There is nothing here to debate about.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:25:43 PM EST
it's a mental illness like stupidity
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

And 'liberalism' or is that redundant?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:42 PM EST
I work at a company with some seriously overweight people.

You should see the bags of food they carry into work each and everyday.

They stuff their faces all day long, and eat a big breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:43 PM EST
As a fat man all I have to say is...."Good, now people will start treating fat people with respect"

WTF
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:27:48 PM EST

This is gonna be good.

right back atcha.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:29:26 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 1:30:45 PM EST by BBossman]
AMA is doing this in exchange for special consideration in payments and kick backs for doctors under Obamacare. This so that it can be called a preexistent condition and exclude fat people from medical treatment related to obesity. That and it will help eliminate global warming from all those fat people farting as they die off.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:29:52 PM EST
Mah Baby din eat nuffin
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:30:28 PM EST
The AMA are a bunch of tards. They should stick to Doctoring, not politicking.

Only idiots and Doctors would believe that overeating and obesity is a "disabilty and disease" in the first place.

"Do you own any guns in the household"........................reason enough not to trust the AMA. I spent about 5 years finding a Doc who wasn't a political asswipe and liberal. Hopefully many realize they are going to be screwed if Obama socializes medicine. The ones that want it......................I hope they get what they justly deserve, IE, crappy pay, overwork, and their hands completely tied while still able to get their ass sue'd off by lawyers for BS reasons.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:34:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By Skillshot:

This is gonna be good.

right back atcha.

Whoops...misunderstood the thread.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:57 PM EST

+1

Get on a treadmill and stop eating Double whoppers with extra cheese "and a Diet Coke"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By DonS:

and smoking doctors?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:47:45 PM EST
Not a disability

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:49:31 PM EST
Celebrate... With cake.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:50:11 PM EST
It is a self- inflicted condition that turns into a disability.
It is really sad what some people have done to themselves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:50:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By AR4U:
This is gonna be good.

No, some obesity comes from the twinkie elves stuffing peoples' faces while they're asleep.

If you eat more calories than you burn, you get fat. There is nothing here to debate about.

/thread

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:51:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 1:52:34 PM EST by WildBoar]
Originally Posted By Bobby_the_Hun:
Not a disability

http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/116020.jpg

completely avoidable

disabling ? can be. Especially when people enable them. Some of those land manatees are that big because people bring them food.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:53:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Not a disability

completely avoidable

Yep.

How many people looked like that when man had to go out and hunt and farm to survive?

Now you can lay on a couch stuffing your face with cheap store bought stuff all day long.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:12:50 PM EST
This is gonna be good.

Of course there are cases where a physical problem causes obesity no matter how carefully a person eats, but the VAST MAJORITY of obesity is caused by people eating badly, eating too much, and not moving around. Doctors SHOULD discuss this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:40:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By walttx:

It can also be caused by a disability that turns into a condition.

At 45 years old, I was still running up and down the mountains, logging, guiding big game hunts, and packing mules in Montana and Idaho. I had more wind than 90% of you do now, which came from living and working at 6000-9000 ft ASL. I'd lay you odds, at 45 I was more physically fit than 2/3's of you flat-lander 'fat bigots' are now. I outworked guys half my age.

I was never fat until I broke my back and wrecked my knees falling off a boulder on a rafting trip, and was laid up for over a year and a half. I'll admit that I ate regular, but not excessive, meals and drank lots of booze while I was bed fast and couldn't exercise. I gained weight. I guess I always figured I'd heal up well enough that I could resume my active lifestyle.

Now, 10 years later I'm still so physically fucking busted up that there are limits as to my ability to exercise. If I walk more than several hundred yards, I'm in excruciating pain, damn near to the point of passing out. I can't do squats or lift weights. I can't really do much physically anymore.

I eat salads, fish, steamed veggies, no carbs, and other 'healthy' stuff, but not being physically able to exercise, I just don't drop any weight. My friends are constantly commenting on how little I eat. I don't drink booze much anymore either. I don't eat Twinkies, bread, sugar, carbs, fried foods, or any of that shit that's generally considered 'fattening'.

So if a guy isn't physically able to walk very far or exercise much as the result of physical trauma....is he just supposed to eat air to satisfy the 'fat bigots'?

I'm really happy for all you young guys who are able to stay fit..I always did before my accident.....but don't be so fucking quick to look down your noses at people who are fat...it may be the result of physical limitations beyond their control.

Oh yeah, and FUCK whoever intimated being fat is always a mental condition. People like you are fucking assholes. May you break your back.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:53:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By BBossman:
AMA is doing this in exchange for special consideration in payments and kick backs for doctors under Obamacare. This so that it can be called a preexistent condition and exclude fat people from medical treatment related to obesity. That and it will help eliminate global warming from all those fat people farting as they die off.

<19% of practicing doctors are members of the AMA. The AMA has done far more harm for doctors than good which is why I have never been, am not and will never be a member. I don't know what their agenda is with this but the AMA does things to help the AMA, not doctors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:55:07 PM EST
Maybe if there was a funky thyroid issue but for the most part NO!!!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:58:13 PM EST

This is gonna be good.

That's exactly how you get obese.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:59:45 PM EST

This is gonna be good.

Is obesity a problem in Africa and Ethiopia?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:01:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By shootemup:

This is gonna be good.

AIDS

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:03:06 PM EST

This is gonna be good.

Redundant.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:03:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By USGI_45:

This is gonna be good.

AIDS

Funny. Not everyone has AIDS.

When I go to Europe, I can always spot the Americans from afar; they're the fatties.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:04:19 PM EST
This is gonna be good.

Deej, as a former fat guy who still struggles with weight-gain, don't let the excuses put forth by fat people fool you.

In 99% of cases, they simply eat too much of the wrong food and aren't active enough.

It's easier for fat people to blame a medical condition than it is to admit that they have no self-control.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:07:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By capnrob97:

Not a disability

completely avoidable

Yep.

How many people looked like that when man had to go out and hunt and farm to survive?

Now you can lay on a couch stuffing your face with cheap store bought stuff all day long.

+1.

There are a few cases where people can't do anything about it, but those are few and far between. The problem is too much junk food and not enough activity. I've lost 6 pounds in the past 2 or 3 weeks. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:10:23 PM EST
i have ZERO sympathy for obese people, they are disgusting and have no shame - i know that is mean, but fuck them, not literally of course
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:17:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By pcsutton:

At 45 years old, I was still running up and down the mountains, logging, guiding big game hunts, and packing mules in Montana and Idaho. I had more wind than 90% of you do now, which came from living and working at 6000-9000 ft ASL. I'd lay you odds, at 45 I was more physically fit than 2/3's of you flat-lander 'fat bigots' are now. I outworked guys half my age.

I was never fat until I broke my back and wrecked my knees falling off a boulder on a rafting trip, and was laid up for over a year and a half. I'll admit that I ate regular, but not excessive, meals and drank lots of booze while I was bed fast and couldn't exercise. I gained weight. I guess I always figured I'd heal up well enough that I could resume my active lifestyle.

Now, 10 years later I'm still so physically fucking busted up that there are limits as to my ability to exercise. If I walk more than several hundred yards, I'm in excruciating pain, damn near to the point of passing out. I can't do squats or lift weights. I can't really do much physically anymore.

I eat salads, fish, steamed veggies, no carbs, and other 'healthy' stuff, but not being physically able to exercise, I just don't drop any weight. My friends are constantly commenting on how little I eat. I don't drink booze much anymore either. I don't eat Twinkies, bread, sugar, carbs, fried foods, or any of that shit that's generally considered 'fattening'.

So if a guy isn't physically able to walk very far or exercise much as the result of physical trauma....is he just supposed to eat air to satisfy the 'fat bigots'?

I'm really happy for all you young guys who are able to stay fit..I always did before my accident.....but don't be so fucking quick to look down your noses at people who are fat...it may be the result of physical limitations beyond their control.

Oh yeah, and FUCK whoever intimated being fat is always a mental condition. People like you are fucking assholes. May you break your back.

Well said. I'm always amazed at how quick people are to judge when someone is fat. Let he who has no sin etc...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:24:40 PM EST
Until I was diagnosed with 220/155 hypertension, I weighed 180 pounds and was very active. The damn meds sap your energy and really slow down your metabolism. So, I put on weight. People tell me to lose weight and my BP will go down. Horseshit! Like I said, 180 pounds when diagnosed.

Now, the nasal surgery I had seems to have helped to an extent because my BP has gone way down, but they still haven't taken me off of or reduced my meds, at least not yet. I had sleep apnea, which will raise your BP over time.

Still need to get a sleep study to see if I need to go back on my CPAP because I have been off it ever since the surgery. The reason it's even a question is that I still am short on energy. I do breathe much better, even when sleeping, but I may need the CPAP at a lower pressure. We shall see.

That said, I don't consider being overweight a disability and expect no special consideration because of it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:32:35 PM EST

"fat bigots" Get over yourself.

Yes, he is. Everyone here was ranting specifically against the .0001% of the population who are in your shoes and were ignoring the 99% of the lazy asses out there whose state of extreme fatness is purely an effect of their disregard for their health. Everyone is out to get you. Everyone hates you. And if they aren't saying it, they surely are thinking it.

What a burden you must bear.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:32:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By DaGrandPoobah:

<SNIP>

Well said. I'm always amazed at how quick people are to judge when someone is fat. Let he who has no sin etc...

I don't judge people like pcsutton. He's in a very shitty situation. But should the rest of society be responsible for paying people Social Security disability because of obesity and its related problems? The laundry list of eligible reasons to receive Social Security is growing every year. Eventually we run out of money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:33:12 PM EST
Not a disability

He would need a Dr. order for a forklift.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:39:41 PM EST
This is gonna be good.

Hint: It does
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:40:35 PM EST
i have ZERO sympathy for obese people, they are disgusting and have no shame - i know that is mean, but fuck them, not literally of course

OK.

There are a variety of things that can cause people to gain weight. Such as medical conditions (there over 200 that CAUSE weight gain) and persciption drugs ( a lot of your psychiatric drugs will cause weight gain.)

What do you say to those who have certain cancers, have hormonal disorders, and other disorders, or those on medications and are obese due to those factors? Are those people "disgusting" as you put it?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:41:40 PM EST
It is when you want to bend over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:44:45 PM EST
Not a disability

completely avoidable

disabling ? can be. Especially when people enable them. Some of those land manatees are that big because people bring them food.

+1

Don't eat so much...

Where's all the fat people in Africa...oh that's right...no FOOD in Africa...so not many FAT people.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:46:03 PM EST

Do you think it would be helpful if doctors would explain the calorie/activity issue to patients who are in your type of predicament? What I mean is, do you think you would have been more careful of your calorie intake had you known?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:09:56 PM EST

I apologize if you thought i was judging you or looking down on you. did not mean for it to sound that way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:12:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 4:14:10 PM EST by Circle_Cutter]
Fat people don't care.

Hear me out on this before all the fat people jump on me. One of the most basic concepts of any species is to be healthy so they can survive. Some humans have lost that trait or do not care anymore as they think they don't need to be healthy. I'm sure mother nature laughs at us.

ETA. People that say they are disabled or whatever and without exercise they say that is why they are fat are also full of it. Only eat what you need. It's not very hard.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:14:25 PM EST

Getting Fat is not a disability... I do believe that it is a mental disorder. Some people eat because they are depressed (major issue), happy, bored, etc. When they don't exercise, they gain weight.

It's called Laziness + High Calorie Intake + Lack of Discipline/Control to Stop Eating = Fat/Obese/Lardass/"That's a big bitch"

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:14:31 PM EST
This is gonna be good.

From someone who used to be extremely fat, it pretty much does.

Its like any other condition, if you're prone to cancer, don't smoke.

I have a very under active metabolism and I also like to eat, a lot.

I used to weigh 330ish pounds I know weigh about 205, and have been in that ball park for about 1.8 years.

Most fat people sit on their asses and eat.

Also, I don't think obesity should qualify someone for disability money from .GOV that pisses me off more than I can explain.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:16:28 PM EST
Alot of people do not eat healthy and this occurs, but I will say the food we have in the u.s. is so full of crap to that is not good for humans, other countries do not put that shit in their food. High Frutose corn syrip is a major factor in this since it is in almost everything we eat or drink... Thats why I do not drink soda much, but a good dr pepper is good for you though, just so you know...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:17:14 PM EST

Originally Posted By DonS:

Yea those self centered undisciplined selfish bitiches.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top