Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/23/2005 3:59:11 AM EDT
Why would a tweaker have glass vials of this? Whats it used for medically? Is it a controled substance?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:05:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:09:17 AM EDT
Hmmm. Prolly found it dumpster diving or burged a dentist office. I wonder what the effects would be if you slammed intraveinously?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:10:03 AM EDT

It's the most common local used for dental work. Maybe he stole it "just because", not realizing WTF it is? Could it be used to cut something else that you'd want a numbing affect with?

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:22:23 AM EDT
Maybe it's the only way he can last long enough satisfy his girlfriend.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:23:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AR15fan:
Why would a tweaker have glass vials of this? Whats it used for medically? Is it a controled substance?

dumpster diving again?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:33:32 AM EDT

I wonder what the effects would be if you slammed intraveinously?

I've been out of the med field for a while, but as I remember it, Epi that is in a vial with Lido is a concentration of 1:1000.

The Epi used for IV use is 1:10000 = weaker.

Injecting 1:1000 would be a bad thing.

I seem to remember you can add 9cc NS to 1:1000 and that will give you 1:10000

Hopefully a current EMT-P or doc will jump in here shortly.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:35:24 AM EDT
They lidocained my finger when I hit it with a hatchet. I now have a nice scar down the middle.

Oh, and . . . .

Lidocaine (lignocaine) hydrochloride is used to treat disturbances in the heart's rhythm. The pumping action of the heart is controlled by electrical impulses that are under the control of the nervous system. If the pumping action of the heart is seriously disturbed, this affects the ability of the heart to pump blood effectively around the body. Lidocaine hydrochloride acts by decreasing the sensitivity of heart muscle to electrical impulses. This slows the conduction of electrical signals in the heart muscle, which in turn, helps to restore a regular heart rhythm. This enables the heart to pump blood effectively around the body. It is used in the emergency treatment of heart rhythm disturbances in cases of suspected or proven heart attack. It is given by intravenous infusion or intravenous bolus injection.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:38:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:41:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
local anesthetic as i recall

The 5 places you don't want to use Lido w/Epi?

Ears nose fingers toes penis.

(The useless shit I remember)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:41:22 AM EDT
Provides profound local anesthesia of intermediate duration. Average pulpal anesthesia of at least 60 minutes during maxillary infiltration and at least 90 minutes when used for an inferior alveolar block.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:42:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 4:43:52 AM EDT by Backstop]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:46:41 AM EDT

If a tweeker had it, i'm sure it was just in with the haul when stolen.
It's a local, the epi helps control the bleeding a little.
RELATED STORY: We had a loser in the ER that was playing a "quarters" type game with his loser friends.....they had Nubain and didn't know what it was for, but when it was his turn to shoot up whatever was available, he didn't back down.
He should have, he was on methadone and it cleared it from his system mucho pronto and put him into violent DT's. Grown man, what a loser.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:52:36 AM EDT
Topical anesthetic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:53:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/23/2005 4:53:38 AM EDT by pyro6988]
It is a local anesthetic

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:11:27 AM EDT
Did the perp have tattoos or tattoo equipment?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:23:02 AM EDT

Provides profound local anesthesia of intermediate duration. Average pulpal anesthesia of at least 60 minutes during maxillary infiltration and at least 90 minutes when used for an inferior alveolar block.

WOW! That is exactly what I was going to say.

Not sure what it means though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:32:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Backstop:

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
local anesthetic as i recall

The 5 places you don't want to use Lido w/Epi?

Ears nose fingers toes penis.

(The useless shit I remember)

Felt like my finger was asleep for like 3 hours.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:44:05 AM EDT
Lidocane is an anesthetic. Epinepherine may be used as an anti-allergic steroid IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:46:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:50:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tesnevo:

yep, it took me a few seconds to come up with that
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:00:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:
The epi is added to make the lido last longer (area stays numb longer).

Yep.. the epinephrine affects blood flow in the area, making the anesthetic effect of the lidocaine last longer.

The decreased blood flow is why you never, ever, ever used lido w/ epi on ears, nose, fingers, toes, or weewee.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:12:06 AM EDT
The lido numbs the area while suturing, the epi reduces bleeding in the area while performing the work....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:22:12 AM EDT

RELATED STORY: We had a loser in the ER that was playing a "quarters" type game with his loser friends.....they had Nubain and didn't know what it was for, but when it was his turn to shoot up whatever was available, he didn't back down.
He should have, he was on methadone and it cleared it from his system mucho pronto and put him into violent DT's. Grown man, what a loser.

Nubain or Narcan? Narcan is a narcotic antagonist (basically stops/reverses the effects of narcotics), nubain is used for pain control.

2% Lido with Epi is a dental anesthetic as noted; the epi acts as a vasoconstrictor to reduce bleeding. Hence the reason it is not used in the extremeties.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:44:49 AM EDT
2% Lido with epi is a local injectable anesthetic. The 2% formulation is very common in dentistry, and for performing minor superficial surgical procedures. The epi concentration is 2% lido is 1 to 100,000, NOT 1:1,000 or 1:10,000 as a previous poster mentioned. It is just enough epi to cause a very nice vasoconstriction, and reduce bleeding from the procedure site. It should never be used in fingers, toes, ears, nose, or penis, as was correctly stated by another poster.

most likely it was stolen by someone who had no idea what the hell they were stealing. And FWIW the retail cost of a vial is 75 cents for the 50ml size, so they are not going to get rich in the black market.

It is not a controlled substance in the sense of a narcotic or other drug of abuse, however, it is usually only available to someone who has an account with a medical, dental, or veterinary supply company, and that does require proper license and registration to set up.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:16:39 AM EDT
A few years ago a dentist friend of mine found a guy dumpster diving for these. He wanted them for packaging for crack rocks.
Several dental offices have been broken into here recently. Odd things have been stolen, like lidocaine and latex gloves. Mainly things that are cheap, but it seems most of the meds are taken. There is generally not too much in a dental office that will give you a thrill.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 4:56:55 AM EDT by Backstop]

Originally Posted By twonami:

Originally Posted By tesnevo:

yep, it took me a few seconds to come up with that

Ahem...as indicated by my "Nevermind" - I let it slide.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:00:30 AM EDT
Epi is a vasoconstrictor, and Lido w/Epi works well for suturing scalp lacerations.

I just wanted to show that I can form sentences with words that contain more than 10 letters.
Top Top