Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2015 1:11:10 PM EDT
poll inbound.

The thread on demographic changes got me thinking about this.

I work as a consultant and I usually work for big companies in populated areas. The one thing that came as a surprise to me is how many people home school or send their kids to public school -- it seems like it's all of them. My thought is that if you were born after the mid 1970s and went through public school that your experience was different from what your parents a generation before experienced.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
inb4poll

Don't have kids, went through public school system.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, we are FSA.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
My kids go to public school. We chose our house based on the school district.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Technically public school, but it's a charter school so it's run more like a private school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
My daughter is 3, she attends a private, Christian preK and we plan to send her there through high school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Public school for my kids.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope, private catholic. Best $500 a month I've spent in my life, period.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]
All of my kids are in public schools.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't and won't, have kids but if I did, I would not put them in public school.  I would home school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically public school, but it's a charter school so it's run more like a private school.
View Quote

Ours is a Preparatory Academy. It's technically a charter school, but it is not funded by the schoold district. Private funds only. So I think it's a private school. But whatever. It's better than a traditional public school, and we live in one of the best public school disctricts in MN.

Which is why I'm so broke.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. 2nd grade, 5th grade, 8th grader already accepted to the charter high school. Better education than the public schools, better pricing than the private schools.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Mix of home schooled and public schools (for sports, for those so inclined)
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#13]
School is for Suckers!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Our daughter is in private school. (Montessori) Our local public schools suck. The school we have her in is awesome... the only bad thing is you get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Public school in my county is total shit.
private school is the only option.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Public schools in my area rival the best private schools in the country.  Well, we get a C in diversity.......

ACT scores average 27 though  
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Pre-k now but no decent private schools local and we choose where we live in part to the smaller town~class sizes so unless any charters start up in the next year, public.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Home school co-op
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Public school for my kids.

When they started, we couldn't afford private.  By the time we could, our son was a senior in HS and our daughter was a freshman.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Public in the best part of the district, it's a magnet school you have to apply to and score well on an entrance test.   All the kids want to be there.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Our kid is going to private school through elementary, and then switching to public.

My parents did the same with me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
There were a few minor factors plus a major one that pushed us towards home schooling.

One of which was us being reprimanded for taking our kids out of school for a few days during testing.  Here's some of what they were doing:

<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03911_zps1b0fc199.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03911_zps1b0fc199.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03919_zpsa976270b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03919_zpsa976270b.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03939.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03939.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03928.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03928.jpg</a><a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03971.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03971.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03913.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03913.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s136.photobucket.com/user/bailey123_album/media/DSC03961.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q176/bailey123_album/DSC03961.jpg</a>
View Quote

Why did you blur out their faces in the last pic?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Public school because it is good, close and we pay for it.  That is not FSA.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
My boy's 6yo and first grade is coming up. Im seriously considering private school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Our daughter is in private school. (Montessori) Our local public schools suck. The school we have her in is awesome... the only bad thing is you get what you pay for!
View Quote

Same for my son.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Home school with an arts co-op for music and choir, a large local group for reading club and field trips. Great flexibility and the ability to incorporate education into all aspects of life, from book knowledge to practical life skills to outdoor activities. Still get the "normal" socialization through co-op, local group, and church, and my kids are less socially awkward than my public school niece of the same age group.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#29]
My kid goes to private school.  Hopefully it's the best 30K per year I ever spend.  But who knows?  I told my wife we should spend the money on machine guns, hookers and blow and just put the kid in public school but she wasn't impressed.  Must be my public school education
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My kid goes to private school.  Hopefully it's the best 30K per year I ever spend.  But who knows?  I told my wife we should spend the money on machine guns, hookers and blow and just put the kid in public school but she wasn't impressed.  Must be my public school education
View Quote

Lol fuck that. I have yet to meet anyone so vastly superior because they went to a private school vs a *good* public one
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#31]
My son isn't old enough for school yet.  Why does your poll discriminate against me?  

Reported.  

We're still trying to decide what we will do when he is old enough for school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Public school, and our school district is quite good.  They don't hold the brighter kids back to the pace of the slowest, they put them in G&T classes to keep them challenged.  High school has curricular concentrations for those who know what they want to do (STEM, Bio-STEM, Media Arts, etc.) and gen ed for those that don't yet.  Community college is two blocks away, so they have CC instructors come teach the AP classes.  Same material and credit as the college courses, and their credit transfers to every major university in the state.  We're very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My son isn't old enough for school yet.  Why does your poll discriminate against me?  

Reported.
View Quote

My son isn't old enough either but he is going to attend private school when he is of age.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Home school co-op
View Quote

This yo's.

Diss'N
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Right now my son goes to the on-base school (is that FSA?, or sort of private?

I retire in as few as 3 years from now. School ratings will have a major influence on where I buy a house. If I can't pull off a highly rated public district then I'll go the private school route even if I have to pull down two jobs.

I was a public schooling kid. I had a great elementary school and did great there. Good school and I was close to a straight A student. 4-6 was spent being bussed to a inner city school. Apathetic teachers and just the environment sucked (used needles on the playground kinda place). That was three years of education wasted and it really embittered me, as much as a ~10 year old can be, towards school in general.

Never really got back into it after that, enough to play sports in HS was about it. I asked my parents to send me to a private school but they couldn't afford it. Needless to say I recognize the damage a shitty school can do and don't want my kid to repeat that sort of scenario.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Public, however I was looking to move south a few months ago and that would have involved paying for a private school.  Ended up being a deal breaker on the job offer, they couldn't come up enough for me to justify the 15k a year in private school fees.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Grew up in new orleans so I went to private school.

I now teach at a public middle school. My kids go to Catholic School.

If that makes me a hypocrite so be it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Homeschooled up to 6th and 5th grades. Our public school is pretty decent. Teachers tend to be good to excellent.

Biggest issue I'm seeing is state mandates which the teachers also hate.

They're not infected with the statist/libtardedness. The boys talk about gunshows, airsoft, shooting competitions, etc. Teachers don't mind. Some contribute to the conversations. History teach is very libertarian.

All in all, it was the right call, at the time. Although, the girl is not getting as much benefit. Girls are just mean, nasty, hateful, cliquish little beasts.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:00:38 PM EDT
[#39]
home school.  WOW 10 % of arfcom homeschools....awesome.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#40]
We have great public school system.

Students can still take their skeet guns to school and show the teachers in the parking lot.

My son was a freshman and broke the school bully's nose.  Bully was a junior.

Vice principle told me "while the staff and I can't condone fighting, we understand".

Two of his teachers patted him on the back and told him "good job" the next he came into class.

Daughter who graduated got the highest GPA in her pre pharm college course.

She got excepted early into Pharmacy program and now has a 3.8 gpa.

Son is 15 now and teachers are encouraging him to get into engineering.

Anyone who says "all public schools are bad" is just as stupid as the person who says "all homeschooling is bad".
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
home school.  WOW 10 % of arfcom homeschools....awesome.
View Quote

Actually more than that if you figure there are respondents who don't have kids.

This is what I found working day jobs -- I was really surprised at how common this is. When the night crew shows up and those that don't have internet access at work, the stats might change.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#42]
My daughter is out of school and in fact out of college now.
The first four years she did go to public school but the schools in the area were deluged with the children of illegal aliens and her learning was regressing.
Sent her to private school and she later went to college and got her masters and makes more money than me.
Which I think is great.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#43]
8 kids, all home schooled and only 2 left to graduate.  We've been at this 28 years now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#44]
All of them went to public schools, have not turned out to bad so far.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Our kids went to private Christian schools as much as we could afford for as long as they could.

Government run High Schools after that that were not in our neighborhood so we had to get an exemption for them.    

The answer to your question OP is where do wealthy people send their children?

Where do teachers send their kids if they have a choice?

Everyone around here looks seriously at the home school option because .gov schools just suck.

*Married to a career educator.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Public school in my county is total shit.
private school is the only option.
View Quote

Same here. I think of it as making an investment in my children's future.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:46:01 PM EDT
[#47]
We chose our public school district carefully. It's quite good.

My own experiences with private schools soured me on the whole concept, constantly underfunded, limited breadth of curriculum, unqualified staff and a lot of students who couldn't make it in public school for one reason or another.

Of course some of that can be eliminated if you're willing to pay enough money.

The only really good option in private school IMO is a Church-subsidized Catholic school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:47:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Ayup.  Public school for high achievement and academic preparation (major tax revenue district in other words).  They are going to a private all-girls Catholic high school that is very well regarded by most of the top universities.  I've had this mapped out since they were born.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#49]
We have two daughters, and the oldest one starts kindergarten in the fall. Haven't found an affordable private option, so we plan on public. Luckily, the school is a mile from our house and brand new. Neighbors seem to like it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#50]
public school, in the best school district in the state...  (as long as you're talking about districts with more than 6000 students, lol)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top