Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2004 8:07:30 AM EDT
I used to work from home, except on days when I had meetings or I had to do an installation for a client. 85% of the time though, I was at the kitchen table planning out my installs.

Now I am on a Residency, and I have to drive to the customer's site every day. I'm going on my third year.

I miss working from home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you add a "not yet, but I plan to" choice?  It's one of my personal goals to be a full-time telecommuting software developer ASAP.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have worked from home full time as a software engineer for the past 2 years.

I HATE IT!

Incredibly isolating, I find I feel guilty if I don't work extreme long hours, I can't ever put the job away and "go home".  

It's the worst thing I ever did for my career and my health.

I'm moving back in 3 weeks so I can work onsite again.

Since I know there will be folks saying telecommuting is great and wow you sure are lucky, all I can say is try it yourself for a year.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I HATE IT!

Incredibly isolating, I find I feel guilty if I don't work extreme long hours, I can't ever put the job away and "go home".  

Since I know there will be folks saying telecommuting is great and wow you sure are lucky, all I can say is try it yourself for a year.

Can I have your telecommuting job?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
One of my three jobs, yes. the other two, no.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
small home business
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Every day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I clicked YES before I saw "Self Employed".
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:02:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have to show up full time at the office, but I used to do a lot of additional work from home via VPN (I'm IT).  But the company came out with a drug & alcohol policy which states that working on company stuff while being in possession of drugs or alcohol is grounds for termination.

I keep beer in my fridge.  Therefore my time at home is 100% mine now.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have to show up full time at the office, but I used to do a lot of additional work from home via VPN (I'm IT).  But the company came out with a drug & alcohol policy which states that working on company stuff while being in possession of drugs or alcohol is grounds for termination.

I keep beer in my fridge.  Therefore my time at home is 100% mine now.  

LOL  blammo I like the way you think  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I can work from home and do sometimes.  I like being in the office rather doing it fulltime.  Bob
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#13]
In Mid October I am going to start my own business - freelance web/graphic design.

Soooo -anyone needing that kind of work PLEASE let me know!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Wiggy, mind if I ask what is the nature of the business?  I'm curious.

livefreeordieNH, my boss called the corporate VP of HR to get clarification after I pointed out the ass-hattedness of the policy.  To illustrate my point, he asked her if she ever picks up a bottle of wine at the store on her way home from work (knowing that she does AND that she has a company vehicle).  She confirmed that she does and he pointed out that she's in direct violation of her own policy.  Made no difference.  Policy stands.

Many corporate policies exist for the sole purpose of selectively hanging employees.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
... Missing a category.

Performs some work from home, some on site
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#16]
My office is in my home. I'm always "at work".
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:56:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I HATE IT!

+1

I've worked from home for the past 3 years. At first it was nice and the "commute" was great, but like livefreeordieNH says, it is isolating. You do have freedoms such as running some errands and such, but you do wind up putting in a lot of hours and you are never really "away" from work - it's always in the next room.  I get calls at all hours to do things because people know that I'm "always" at work... I suppose it's partially my fault, but it does get old.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I HATE IT!

+1

I've worked from home for the past 3 years. At first it was nice and the "commute" was great, but like livefreeordieNH says, it is isolating. You do have freedoms such as running some errands and such, but you do wind up putting in a lot of hours and you are never really "away" from work - it's always in the next room.  I get calls at all hours to do things because people know that I'm "always" at work... I suppose it's partially my fault, but it does get old.

This sounds like me. Also three years now of working from home. Same issues. Looking for "regular" work right now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top