Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:32:56 PM EDT
i wear a pair of belleville boots almost daily for the comfort factor and during winter i wear one of those USMC brown bear parka deals alot.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been carrying a P-38 for over 30 years.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Belleville steel toed jungle boots when I mow the yard or use the weed whacker.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I still wear my Dog Tags and most of my camping/hunting cloths are military surplus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope..Other than My BDUs I cut off for shorts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The Lightning or the little can opener?

If  it's the can opener you're gonna be shocked to hear that they switched over to these new fangled rations that come in  plastic bags a couple of years back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#6]
No. Not since I left the Army.

ETA I dont remember any steel toe boots in the military.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A pair of BDU pants  when working around the house, I've had them for 24 years.  
Think I'll maybe wash em this year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Belleville steel toed jungle boots
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
When  the surplus store is cheaper than MCSS, why the hell not (assuming servicable condition)???
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If  it's the can opener you're gonna be shocked to hear that they switched over to these new fangled rations that come in  plastic bags a couple of years back.

Quiet you.

I've got a P38 can opener too. In my wallet. For about 7 years now. I've yet to use it, but you never know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quiet you.

I've got a P38 can opener too. In my wallet. For about 7 years now. I've yet to use it, but you never know.

The P38 is good at opening plastic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:55:23 PM EDT
[#12]
The USMC gave my employer several thousand pairs of DRMO'd Winter Boots. They are too hot to wear all but a couple months of the year. But if I'm working midnights in Jan/Feb I wear them. Thats the only piece of actual milsurp gear I can think of that I regularly wear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
OD green jungle boots, for the past 15 years. i also rotate wearing my BDU pants, black, khaki and green.  cant stand anything else!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I tape level IIIa body ceramic body armor plates to my back every day as part of my mall security job.

I have a bunch of Mil-Surp camping gear that I have since upgraded from, but I still hang onto it because I have a lot of friends that need to borrow stuff to go camping with me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
No. Not since I left the Army.

ETA I dont remember any steel toe boots in the military.

USAF issue. I always preferred the non-steel toes, but they do come in handy for yard work and moving day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I still wear the last set of underwear I bought when I was in, it's going on two and a half years now....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Just an 18yr-old G-Shock I bought right out of Boot Camp.

Wore some nice leather combat boots thru 2 re-soles.

That's it.

Have a goot set of deuce gear for SHTF, though
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#19]
dunno if this counts but i carry my grand dad's zippo with me.
he carried it all through korea 1950-1953

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:21:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I pump gas in a Ghillie Suit, whaddaboudit?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:22:22 PM EDT
[#21]
My workboot rotation has a set of jump boots in it.  Thanks, who ever sold those to me.  They're actually decent with a set of thin gel insoles.

Also carry a set of woodland BDU pants for surprise tar jobs.  Tar blends into the pants.  Brilliant!

+1 on the P38 for lunchtime tuna.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Running in cold weather - BDU pants

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#24]
wear combat boots everyday.
right now im wearing my belleville  desert  boots, and just purchased a pair of USMC Bates desert boots.
the bates are identical to the bellevilles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
i got discharged from the marines, while in bootcamp (back problem), i still wear the socks, and i use the towels they gave me. just because i can. but no i dont goto the surplus stores except for things like camping shovels or similar things.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
dunno if this counts but i carry my grand dad's zippo with me.
he carried it all through korea 1950-1953

When I'm having a particular difficult stretch of time, I carry my grandfather's gold U.S. pin that I think would go on the either the collar or the shoulder loops of a uniform. US Army, WWII.

Makes me remember how small my problems are compared to what he had to do when he was my age.

Hell when he was 20 years old he was in the Normandy invansion, Omaha beach. My problems consist of school, women, and various music (recording, producing, performing) issues that come up.

I know that if he can do what he did, I shouldn't have any issues.

Damn. RIP Grandpa

sorry for the hijack
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#27]
T-Shirts, Army Brown.

I love those things.  They don't seem to stain or wear out.  I wear them frequently under my scrub top at the hospital.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quiet you.

The P38 is good at opening plastic.

+1 on the P38 for 20+ years
they work on small and large cans and they are easy to keep clean

I use leather mil boots for hiking\working
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
NO

+1,000,000

I don't even wear BDU pants for HP matches.  Most of those I see there wearing BDUs and, worse yet, blousing their boots, never served a day.

I only wear a .mil boonie hat for rifle shooting because it is flexible enough not to get in the way when prone.  Even that is not camo, it is plain khaki (or "coyote brown" in the new HSLD lingo )
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#30]
The Bellevill boots are terrific.  faaaarrr better than the all leather / hard rubber sole boots i got issued a couple years ago in bct.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#32]
P-38 can opener on key ring.
German/Swiss/Austrian <??> E-tool stays stashed in car trunk.
leather Mauser stripper clip pouch usually left in car as a change purse (laundrymat, car wash & snack machine money)
seabag/duffle bag for clothes on laundry day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Never served, but love surplus stuff.  Desert and Woodland BDU's for casual wear, Magnum desert boots for office and shop at work, nice green USMC t-shirts.  The stuff is fun to shop for, cheap to buy, extremely functional and durable, and if anybody ever asks; it honors our military people.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#34]
The people who like to are the people who haven't had to.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#35]
I have acouple of pairs of boots I wear riding
have all my dads old OD green stuff (it sure as hell won't fit him anymore)
wear the pants sometimes i donot wear any jackets or blouse as all his tags are still attached
beside it would look weird for me (30 years old) to be wearing 30 year old  E-9 stripes anyway
I was wondering as a couple people said they wear green,blue  and kakhi stuff
if its not camo is it really a BDU or just cargo pants?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I bought a pair of french (I know, I know) camouflage bdus...They SUCK!

So do their piss tubes, but you don't hear anyone complaining about those.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope ..

The closet thing I have to military gear
is USGI mags , NATO ammo and surplus
50 cal ammo cans

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I'm military surplus.  They gave me a 60 day early out due to budget cuts back in the 80's.  

I also still use the P38 that was on my dog tags and I have my alice pack in the back of the jeep to hold some "just in case" gear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#40]
I still wear the same watch I took to Afghanistan

other than that, no
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I still wear my BDU belt with the original basic issue buckle from 1985. I can’t fit into my BDU’s any more........they all shrunk.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Found a French (I know...) OD surplus jacket at Fleet Farm for like 9 bucks. The thing is in brand new condition, makes an awesome spring/fall light jacket. I have to admit, the quality is really quite good. It looks just "civilian" enough (it's a sort of brownish OD, not camo) to be wearable in public.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Never served, but love surplus stuff.  Desert and Woodland BDU's for casual wear, Magnum desert boots for office and shop at work, nice green USMC t-shirts.  The stuff is fun to shop for, cheap to buy, extremely functional and durable, and if anybody ever asks; it honors our military people.

now how is wearing military surplus stuff "honors our military"? if you want to honor the military, join up and then wear the stuff like it's suppose to be worn, instead of looking like a refugee from a army-navy surplus store, or some kinda of wannabe that walks around in a gunshow,

IMO people wearing pieces of military uniforms look like assclowns, and hardly honors anything.

and I never wore any military item after I retired........the only thing I saved was my DCU, boonie hat, and tan boots I was issued on our return back to the states after DESERT STORM,  my blues, and dog tags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Mainly cold weather gear when I'm out working in the yard, I finally wore most of the other stuff out, we ran a family apple orchard and used a lot of surplus stuff for work clothes.  I go on a surplus binge every few years to replace or upgrade old stuff.

Years back, Dad had a auction to get rid of stuff around the orchard, it was a consignment auction so a number of neighbors put stuff in the auction.  One guy had a box of old army stuff, so of course I bid on it and get it at $1.  Everybody thought I was nuts.  It was all WWII era stuff, the only intact items were a belt and canteen w/cover and a training gas mask with carry bag.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#45]
I still have my P-38  and one of my dogtags on my key ring

I bought a a Riggers Belt from Eagle Industries a couple of years ago I wear daily
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
German army gore tex rainsuit, I think that's the only real surplus I have. I bought a pair of french (I know, I know) camouflage bdus that I thought would work for hunting (they were cheap and are only going to get all dirty and bloody anyway).They SUCK! the jacket as a faggy cravet like cross piece and the pants have only one rear pocket and the material is sort of shiny.

Never used them.

Depending on the camo pattern and if they are presentable, i might buy them from you.

Could you email me a pic?

Thanks,
Crue
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you use or wear any sort of military surplus gear on a daily basis?

Fuck yeah i do, and it has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to be in anybodys fucking army or being a poser. (If your so pathetic to live your life the way you think other people would want you to live it,
your opinon means nothing to me anyway)

It has eveything to do with 1)Value 2)quality 3)usefulness

Just to name a "few" of the things i use,

German rain suit, $50, the closest thing Wal-Mart had was $200 fucking dollars.  

Gaiters, 3 pairs for $5, i hunt and fish, alot.

Shirts and/or BDU tops 3 for $10

Pants and/or BDU bottoms $.99 and up

Rain proof shoulder bags, $1

Rain proof back packs, $3

Rain proof, stuff sacks, $.50 each.

Boots, $20

BDU belt $3.99

P38 $.15

Grease, 144 bottles, $9.99

Ammo cans 2/$5.00

skeeter nets 5/$1.00

and on and on and on.

Price, quality, and usefulness, you CAN NOT!!!!! beat Mil Surp.

Oh yeah, bought two Danish Parkas, hellova nice parka, for $15 each.
Sold one on ebay for $68 and kept the other for myself

So, fuck yeah i love mil surp, i dont like it, i love it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Yup, all the time and for mostly economical/practical reasons - has nothing to do with cool factor (which, I should add, is zero to 99% of the people).

I have BDU's (German and Brit) for working around the house/garage.

I have gear belts (for work)

I have ammo cans I use daily (for tools and stuff at work)

Gadgets and stuff of all kinds.

Never been a soldier, probably never will be, but I make peaceful & practical use out of their former tools. Sue me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:02:31 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a army nomex fire-lined balaclave that I wear under my fire helmet for Crash Rescue call-outs.

Other than that I have a shitload of USGI 30 rnd mags and a few items I got for hunting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top