Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2015 8:11:51 PM EDT
I was getting a haircut, and the nice lady cutting my hair was talking about healthy foods.

She told me about coconut oil so next grocery run I bought a small jar.

Surprisingly it doesn't taste like coconut.

Now I've read online about this oil, and it does sound like it is healthier.  It does not go through the processing that other oils, like vegetable and peanut go through.  I have to say I was very surprised what it takes to make cooking oil.  It doesn't sound very healthy.

So does anyone use it?  Do you like it?

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it for Indian and Thai recipes.  It does taste like coconut, but not strongly to my tongue.

Some like it due to the medium chain triglycerides, others hate it due to it being entirely saturated fat.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm by no means well educated about food products.  I'm getting older and I feel the need to eat better and cook with healthier ingredients, if possible.

I've read various opinions on coconut oils health benefits or risks and I wasn't entirely sure what to believe.

The internet is big and scary with much conflicting info.

ETA:  The store brand, "organic" oil I bought doesn't taste like coconut.  It's a very heavy oil with no real taste.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm conflicted on it honestly. Sometimes I use it for cooking other times I don't.

It makes a great personal lubricant

It also does a great job protecting cast iron. Under 75 degrees it's a solid so it forms a nice protective shell over the pans. When you get them up to cool it naturally melts and gets you some oil in the pan to cook with

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I love coconut oil.

If you buy the good stuff it doesn't taste like coconut at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I made popcorn with it once, it kinda tasted like coconut

not bad, but it was noticeable.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was visiting with some clients in Texas once and one of them made me up a thermos of bullet coffee with butter and coconut oil.  Fuck me that stuff was disgusting.  I had to grin and bear a few gulps to make her happy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I do.  I use a more refined type thats healthier called mct.

C oil is great for frying eggs.  I put raw oil in my morning smoothies and sometimes in coffee
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was visiting with some clients in Texas once and one of them made me up a thermos of bullet coffee with butter and coconut oil.  Fuck me that stuff was disgusting.  I had to grin and bear a few gulps to make her happy.
View Quote
You're supposed to drink it right after its blended , not after sitting in a thermos.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I use it.  Some things like Paleo Muffins (uses coconut flour too) call for them.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Is it a healthy alternative to tradition cooking oils like veg or peanut?

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it a healthy alternative to tradition cooking oils like veg or peanut?

View Quote

I'm not sure.  I only cook with canola or olive outside of Coconut.
They are saying online that it has health benefits
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:09:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Non gmo butter

Love it all

Combine a lot of it
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
We use coconut oil regularly. I still prefer butter and olive oil, but coconut oil has great uses.

It makes scrambled eggs pretty tasty IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always see the big jars of coconut oil in Costco.  I have not tried it but I've looked at it a few times.  I'll have to get some and give it a try.  Is the stuff Costco sells good?
View Quote

If I remember correctly, Costco is where she got her Coconut oil.  She said it was good quality.

She also told me about "pulling".  Google that  

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We use coconut oil regularly. I still prefer butter and olive oil, but coconut oil has great uses.

It makes scrambled eggs pretty tasty IMHO.
View Quote

I like olive oil too, but I'm not sure how fried chicken or pork chops would taste fried in it.

It might be good, I've never tried it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:31:23 PM EDT
[#18]
my wife uses it on everything, skin, hair, food, my hair. our golden retriever loves it on all the food she makes
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 8:45:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I use it for popcorn regularly. I like the neutral flavor.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If I remember correctly, Costco is where she got her Coconut oil.  She said it was good quality.

View Quote

Interesting. #1 GF and I use it for " pushing".
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Already use it for cooking, baking, baby wipes, pulling... might as well just say screw it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Already use it for cooking, baking, baby wipes, pulling... might as well just say screw it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top