Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 3:50:13 PM EDT
when I was in my teens I had a friend who's house got flooded while on vacation. it was just a small pinhole leak but the week they were away it damaged their house severely.

After that I have always turned off the water when going out of town for 2 or more days.

Wife says I'm paranoid and crazy.

So do you turn it off?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Paranoia?  Nah.

Good planning?  Sure.

Do I do it?  No.  I'm out of town all the time on business but I don't turn my water off.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#2]
You still get charged for it either way.... so whats the point?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have well water.

The point is if say a pipe cracks, my whole house will not flood.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

How do you figure that?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My Dad installed an ice maker on his frige about a week before going to Vegas for a couple of weeks. No problems. It developed the tiny pin hole. Do yu know how much water can come out of that over 14 days or so ?

All of my supply lines are braided stainles or formed copper. I still shut off the water
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You bet I do. One flick of the switch and I'm not worrying about a flooded basement.

I've seen how much water can come out of a broken pipe, not pretty and there is just no good reason not to take a second and make it safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top