Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2003 12:43:18 PM EDT
I am losing my trust in doctors as I get older. Some are out to milk insurance for all it's worth. And worse, some are incompetent.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife says the same thing. And she IS a doctor....[shock]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you trust doctors?
View Quote

Only trauma surgeons.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I don't trust anyone until I've known them a while and have some idea how they'll act when no one is looking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes i do, the ones that earn my trust.

I was in Med School here in Dallas. Its a hard road to travel and is as physically challenging and mentally challenging thing I ever did at the age of 34. I went back to school.

I dont know what you do for a living but when you think of the pressure that Dr. have when people lives are at stake..........Yes doctors make mistakes and they can be fatal. then they get sued for anything.........

I dont know, clean cut, I was gonna rant on this thread but all I can really do is say shop doctors like you shop for anything.. there are good doctors and bad doctors.......

If you could only walk in a Doctors shoes you may change your mind

I couldnt afford the tuition for my 2nd year of med school so I dropped.......Just shop around for a good doctor that YOU get along with that will tell YOU the truth even if it means he doesnt know
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
no

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The only two doctors I fully trust are my Orthopedist, and my Dentist. They're both shooters, and extremely good at their respective disciplines.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
George Carlin: By the process of elimination, somewhere out there is the worst DOCTOR!..........and someone has an appointment to see him tomorrow!

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Some.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Physicians are like any other group of people - some are good at their profession, some are not.  Fortunately, my brother is a physician, so he can help me judge those whose services I may need.

DrMark (PhD)
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]
 Do a search on Dr. Joel Wallach. He put out a video called "Dead Doctor's don't Lie!"
 He was a vet before he became a doctor and a shill, and has some interesting things to say about his profession.
 One thing was, if Jackie Kennedy Onnasis can be killed by an overdose of chemo and they claim she was killed by cancer, what the hell chance do you and I have?

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#12]
no
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely not!

Here's one example I have of many:  Twenty-seven months ago my wife had a stroke.  She couldn't even remember her own name or even read.  Her neurologist said he didn't know how to proceed since it could be either due to a blood clot or bleeding.  You use opposite drugs in each of those two cases, and using the wrong one would make her problem worse and could even kill her.  So, he suggested an MRI.  It was over 4 weeks before he got around to looking at the MRI.  That was something that should have been looked at minutes after it was done.  It's possible she could now care for herself now rather than having to live the rest of her life in a nursing home.  During those four weeks, I talked to her GP about it.  He refused to do anything, because he "didn't want to get involved."   I talked to another neurologist that worked with her, and he gave me the same answer.  I called two other neurology groups in the area, and they gave me the same answer.  It was only after I spent $2k out of my pocket on a lawyer to call and threaten him that he ordered a copy of the MRI.  Then he said it was inconclusive and sent me a bill for $500 for his 5 minutes to look at it.  This guy is a friend of the family's son.  I can't imagine how badly he treats his other patients.z
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#14]
No, they're crooks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
No.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]
What choice do you have?  Act like my uncle who has classic presentation of Parkinson's Disease but goes to some freak who gives him herbal remedies that don't do shit?

E-95
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I trust they will make the best decision they can with the information they have at that time, under any given circumstance.
They are not mind readers or miracle workers and I have yet to meet one with a crystal ball that really works.
As far as trust goes, I stopped trusting may patients a long time ago. They lie to me and themselves, ask me to lie to their insurance, to the Govt, to their family. They will try to cheat at any given oppertunity and expect that I will help them cheat. They steal, and expect I will help them steal too. They dont take responsibility for the problems they cause themselves. They are lazy. A whole lot of them are addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters and child abusers or just plain stupid (which is actually their only redeeming character.)
I'd say the playing field is pretty fair.
Lebrew  
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
NO
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Regular physicians: sometimes.
Shrinks: F*** NO!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
NO!!!

Some may be honest but why take a chance with your life unless you have to???

Even the guy that gets a 60 on the exam still passes and gets his license to practice!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
clean_cut, if you want a good doc in the houston area, go the the Suburban Physicans center on I-10 @ Dairy Ashford.  Open 24-7, no appointment, great service with EXCELLENT doctors and the best overall medical service from reception to cashier.

The hitch?  They do NOT TAKE INSURANCE!!!  Yes, pay as you go.  But that is why it is far better than any other clinic I have used.

So the problem is insurance, not the doctors.  Managed healthcare is managed mediocre medicine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Doctors are in the business to make money, if they cure you, they dont make any money, nuff said.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#23]
In a word, NO!
I did 10 years EMS.
Way too many M.D.'s that dont have a clue.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#24]
In general, no. For the most part, all most doctors want to do is run countless tests, prescribe pills, and collect insurance money. Screw 'em. I don't go to the doctor unless I'm bleeding heavily.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I trust they will make the best decision they can with the information they have at that time, under any given circumstance.
They are not mind readers or miracle workers and I have yet to meet one with a crystal ball that really works.
As far as trust goes, I stopped trusting may patients a long time ago. They lie to me and themselves, ask me to lie to their insurance, to the Govt, to their family. They will try to cheat at any given oppertunity and expect that I will help them cheat. They steal, and expect I will help them steal too. They dont take responsibility for the problems they cause themselves. They are lazy. A whole lot of them are addicts, alcoholics, wife beaters and child abusers or just plain stupid (which is actually their only redeeming character.)
I'd say the playing field is pretty fair.
Lebrew  
View Quote

Amen.  One of my favorites:  Patients who smoke but complain that they cannot afford antibiotics for their bronchitis.

clean_cut:
And worse, some are incompetent.
View Quote

True.  But can be said about any profession.

clean_cut:
Some are out to milk insurance for all it's worth.
View Quote

More like squeezing quarters out of a stone!  The turn-around time for Medicare is up to three months.  Private insurance companies do whatever is possible to shortchange or simply not pay.  This is the reason even relatively small clinics need huge billing departments.  You have to chase down every penny.  The average income of a doctor today compared to 15-20 yrs ago is a joke.

If you don't trust/like your doctor, poll your friends and family to find a good one.  They're out there.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:20:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't trust them anymore than I trust my local mechanics.  It's hard to put that much faith/trust into someone I don't know.  I'm just not like that.  I ask a ton of questions when I'm at the doctor's office just to be sure he can really justify what he's going to have done to me.  Even if it's just perscibing something for the flu, I'll ask questions till I'm comfortable he knows what he's doing.  There's nothing wrong w/ subjecting them to the Socratic method.  Make those rich bastards work for their money.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-also, from personal experience, NEVER, NEVER, tell the ER staff the [u]truth[/u] about the reasons you are there, just what they need to know to give treatment. [pissed]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
-also, from personal experience, NEVER, NEVER, tell the ER staff the [u]truth[/u] about the reasons you are there, just what they need to know to give treatment. [pissed]
View Quote

They didn't [u]need[/u] to know the intestinal tears were from gerbil claws?  [}:)]

Just kidding -- but you post does beg the question...

MarkPhD
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Make those rich bastards work for their money.
View Quote

BWAH HA HA HA HA! Believe me, I'm not rich and I work twice as hard as most of you jacklegs anyway. The coffee break's over, jump back on your garbage truck and finish the route.

You anti doctor people are pretty much full of shit. Yes! you two can cure yourself by following this simple method as outlined in this month's Reader's Digest. That's rich.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#30]

Absolutely.  Hell yeah.

He's my younger brother.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#31]
maybe civilian Doc's but military ones?  HELL NO!
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

They didn't [u]need[/u] to know the intestinal tears were from gerbil claws?  [}:)]

Just kidding -- but you post does beg the question...

MarkPhD
View Quote

All of the follow up visits from the various county authorities. [:(!]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top