[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No.
View Quote

Hit it out of the park, you did.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Take away all the drug rehab programs first.the druggies will die off and save us billions!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Let we finish the moat before you flip the switch.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#6]
For the absolute very few who truly cannot work, or for vets that are truly disabled in combat yes. Everyone else can suck it up like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, but very limited in scope and duration and must be repaid with interest. Repayment enforcement would be handled the same as back taxes
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Take away all the drug rehab programs first.the druggies will die off and save us billions!!!
View Quote

I like you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For the absolute very few who truly cannot work, or for vets that are truly disabled in combat yes. Everyone else can suck it up like the rest of us.
View Quote

I don't see taking care of vets as a government safety net, I see it as repayment for services rendered.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Only for the TRULY disabled.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't see taking care of vets as a government safety net, I see it as repayment for services rendered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the ones that get disability checks despite being able to hold down good jobs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to see someone design a safety net program that actually functions before we even have the debate about if we "should" implement it or not.

I can't think of a single government safety net program which wasn't fraught with unintended consequences.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#14]
The .gov should not provide subsidies to individuals, corporations or other countries.
By subsidies, I mean incentives, aid, benefits or other forms of payment for which no goods or services are received in return.

Veterans should be covered by a disability insurance plan into which they made payments while serving.
(Oh, just like my disability plan.)

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd like to see someone design a safety net program that actually functions before we even have the debate about if we "should" implement it or not.

View Quote

It's been done with a very high level of success, but by people that are into God and stuff, so it doesn't count.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What do you think?
View Quote

Federal or State?

From the Fed.gov, absolutely not.

States can do as they please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes, but very limited in scope and duration and must be repaid with interest. Repayment enforcement would be handled the same as back taxes
View Quote

I kinda go with this.  Didn't see a poll reply near to this, so I couldn't vote.  I'd like to see a SHTF safety net, for when, well, SHTF.  Got food, water, ammo, and other preps salted away, but there is always that "WHOA!  Didn't see THAT one coming! " kind of events.  That is about as much as I ever want the Goobermint taking care of me.

But just like any other loan, I have no problem with "You need some money to tide you over?  Fine, but Gotdamnit, I WANT IT BACK!!!"
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Going to be a lot of liars in this poll.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Net ..Yes
Foundation ...No
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
no. That's the job of private charities.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I have no problem with social programs if they are funded BY CHOICE.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Did I make it before people grossly misapply evolutionary theory?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]

When I read "a safety net ... from the government" I read that as a safety net to protect us from the government.  That I can support.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I think we have a moral obligation to a  limited few......children mostly.....some that are extremely mentally impaired however this FSA stuff is way out of line......
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even the ones that get disability checks despite being able to hold down good jobs?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of a different issue, but yeah the VA disability system is a wreck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Unfortunately any .gov program will be abused to buy votes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Federal government?  No.  State governments?  Sure, if they want.

It shouldn't be a Federal thing; Federalism was specifically designed to leave things relating to the health, safety, welfare, and morals of the people to the individual state governments.

Do I want government run healthcare?  No.  Do I want Federally-run healthcare?  Fuck no.  Can I bitch about Romneycare?  Well, no, since it follows the intent of the Constitution....I'm just glad I don't live there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]
No; none.

The .gov should not be in the charity business.  It is today, and look where we are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#31]
None of those answers reflects my belief.

People in need should look to their families.
If family is unable/unwilling/nonexistenet to help, people should look to their friends.
If friends are unable, etc., to help, people should look to religious and charitable groups.
If those groups are unable to help, people should look to their cities.
If the city is unable to help, people should look to their states.
And if the state can't help, then and only then should they look to the fed.gov.

It would be the tiniest, tiniest percentage of people who'd ever reach that last step.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep the benefits, but closely monitor what they're used for.  No spending them on cigs and beer or energy drinks at the local 7-11.  Good wholesome food only.  People shouldn't go hungry or homeless, but that's as far as my sympathy extends.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Private charity.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Federal or State?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you think?

Federal or State?

this

poll fail
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Private charities do a fantastic job of weeding out the lazy bums and providing help where it is really needed.
Food stamps or whatever BS program it is this week should only provide for bread, peanut butter, milk, and broccoli.  You won't starve...you won't be happy, but many people on the dole could stand to lose a few lbs anyway.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Keep the benefits, but closely monitor what they're used for.  No spending them on cigs and beer or energy drinks at the local 7-11.  Good wholesome food only.  People shouldn't go hungry or homeless, but that's as far as my sympathy extends.
View Quote

So spend even more money? Great plan.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope.  If you want a safety net, buy private unemployment insurance.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:43:18 PM EDT
[#39]
yes, help the helpless.....not the clueless
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Nope.  And I chose my words carefully after getting stuck behind an EBT Jenny for the second day in a row at the grocery.  Lady had two carts of snacks, junk, etc.  Two friggin carts.  By time all was said and done she had to pay $0.06 and couldn't understand why.  I had a carry basket full of fruit and an aneurysm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Federal or State or Local?

State or Local would be better for food, clothing and shelter.

Feds not so good.

Real Insurance is better than what government likes to call insurance...just a ponzi.

Maintaining your unrealistic lifestyle should not be a government service or goal.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better idea.  Remove benefits and allow people to go and pick up their govt approved food at local 'pick-up' areas.  The food would include things such as rice, beans, corn, cheap meat and some vegetables/fruits.  Absolutely zero soda, sugary snacks or general junk food.  If people don't like their govt approved diet they can find a job.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#43]
The only .gov safety net I even consider reasonable is fire services.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Nothing at all.

People can contribute to charity of they voluntarily prefer.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  

Americans are generous and there would be no shortage of care for the helpless, in fact, the standard of living and quality of life would be greatly increased.

It is the decent thing to do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#45]
10th Amendment.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I think there should be some benefits for veterans.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Extremely limited benefits for an extremely limited time.

Extreme social stigma should be attached to receiving ANY benefits, excluding ACTUAL disabilities.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think there should be some benefits for veterans.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
no. That's the job of private charities.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#50]
You can have regional downturns so I would permit a year of help.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top