Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/9/2002 10:49:28 AM EDT
Is any activity that is decided by a panel of judges, a sport? Most sports are determined by time or score. A score from a panel of judges is like a movie review. I had seen some crappy reviews on some great movies. Flame Away!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:54:22 AM EDT
Figure skating takes incredible athletic ability. Then again so does pro wrestling so I don't know if it is a sport. Some people consider hunting, fishing and auto racing a sport. I don't. If the I.O.C. says it's a sport then that's good enough for me because I can drive a car but I couldn't do a triple sow cow if my life depended on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:59:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:59:16 AM EDT
Panty shots!!! Woohoo!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:07:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By toaster: Panty shots!!! Woohoo!!!
View Quote
[:p] I don't deny that they have great talent.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:25:00 AM EDT
I get into this discussion on occasion with my wife. I don't consider Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Synchronized Swimming, etc. to be Olympic sports. Anything that cannot have an OBJECTIVE score attached to it is not a true sport in my opinion--How High or Long was the jump, how fast was the run, How far did he throw, how many points did you score vs. the other team? Anything that needs judges, and a scoring system based on observations (subjective observations) is not a sport. If someone scores a 10.0 this year because they do a triple nutcracker double backflip quadruple headbanger, and the guy that does it better next year only gets an 8.4, how is that fair? My wife's retort is generally that it is very hard to do, and the "competetors" are athletes. I agree, but it still falls short of what I consider to be a sport. I would not personally be able to do it, as I am not athletic enough, and I can respect the level of training and dedication that it takes to be the best at it. However, I don't consider training for the Navy Seals, Marine Force Recon, etc. to be a "Sport", and it takes the same or more dedication and training. My personal opinion is that they should have 3 Olympic Competetions--Winter, Summer and Artsy-Fartsy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:45:50 AM EDT
Yes it is. My wife competed for over 10 years.......it is MOST definitely a sport. Shit...if CURLING is a sport......don't get me started.... Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:01:31 PM EDT
SPORT = [1]Running, or running substitute + [2]Ball, or ball substitute this is a handy definition i got from a professor of mine in law school. he taught Sports Law and consulted with the IOC, amongst other things. so figure skating is not a sport b/c there is no ball substitute. NASCAR is a sport because the car is the ball and driving is the running. also, couldn't you theoretically push your car across the finish line? heh.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:05:30 PM EDT
figure skating also has subjective scoring like cheerleading competitions. this is a hallmark of the non-sport. simply because an activity requires athletic prowess to "compete" does not make it a sport. so the next time you hear somebody whine about how hard they train for their silly non-sport, tell 'em i said it's okay to flip them off. heh. BTW, the shooting sports qualify in spades. the bullet is the ball and the shooting is the running. just gotta get that ball in the x-ring, eh?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2002 12:13:43 PM EDT by CAMPYBOB]
when you can complete a triple axel followed by a quadruple toe loop...then call me with your opinion. untill such time, you don't have a clue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:22:43 PM EDT
I have to go with the opinion of No. I like the definition of a sport as being "any competition scored quantitatively". If judges deduct points on matters of form, style, etc, I think it would be considered more of a performing art. Yes it is hard blah blah blah. No I can not do a triple wachuchi flying somersault and land on one finger, but that still wouldn't be a sport. [;D]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:24:56 PM EDT
if this is directed at me, my comment about the whining... was the humor part of my post. [denoted by the "heh" afterward. heh. it simply doesn't fit objective sport criteria. doesn't mean it's not really hard to compete on Olympic or any level. doesn't mean it isn't an extreme exhibition of physical skill and prowess. just means it's not a "sport." the IOC, the Olympics, and the skating federations are big dollar industries. if they say it is a sport, should you believe them?
Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB: when you can complete a triple axel followed by a quadruple toe loop...then call me with your opinion. untill such time, you don't have a clue.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:30:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:31:14 PM EDT
Much more of a sort of "performing art" than sport, IMO. Tyler
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2002 12:42:57 PM EDT by Scott_Jimenez]
lessee, hmm... car racing - first one to drive car across finish line wins HeeHawBallScratch - first one to pierce his sac and have 1 to 2 "balls" drop on the shag carpet before the HeeHaw credits roll wins yep, HeeHawBallScratch is a sport. just gotta play by those rules. heh.
Originally Posted By Wolfpack: If driving a car is a "sport" then sitting down and watching "Hee Haw" and scratching my "Balls" is one too right? [:D]
View Quote
edited for the kiddies. heh.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:47:37 PM EDT
NO!!! It's a fucking waste of ice time! As a hockey player I hate figure skating. They chew up the ice with those fucking toe picks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:01:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By toaster: Panty shots!!! Woohoo!!!
View Quote
even better... Womenz panty shots! [:P]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:03:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:24:14 PM EDT
Let's not forget about Ballroom Dancing!! Didn't they try it out during the Summer Olympics as a "trial" sport?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:10:51 PM EDT
Litigation, the sport of Kings.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:22:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TylerDurden: Much more of a sort of "performing art" than sport, IMO. Tyler
View Quote
DITTO. What if we gave 6 points for a plain run up the middle touchdown, 8 points for a pick off run back, and 10 points for a fumble recoverery and a 90 yard run with a flying leap in to the endzone over a defender?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:04:23 AM EDT
so...curling is a "sport"...because the winner is determined by a "score" secured thru absolutely no athletic ability at all???? yet, figure skating, which requires great athletic abilities is not a sport??? not a sport because it is scored by people, instead of machines? folks, the height, rotations and landing of a jump can be scored by either a person or a machine. is ther a measure of subjectivity in the living, breathing judge? sure, there is. but if that takes the "sport" out of figure skating, i don't know what to tell you...
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:37:17 AM EDT
So all track and field and gymnastics are not sports? Ha! Yeah, those athletes are just wussies... Anybody got any cheesy poofs or Jolt cola left?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:47:30 AM EDT
all track and field sports ARE sports. the runner IS the BALL. first runner across the finish line wins. simple. discus, shotput, javelin, even curling.... fit an objective definition of sport.
Originally Posted By DScott: So all track and field and gymnastics are not sports? Ha! Yeah, those athletes are just wussies... Anybody got any cheesy poofs or Jolt cola left?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:54:57 AM EDT
just so we're all on the same page as to how figure skating is scored: [url]www.torino2006.it/eng/sport_p_artistico_regole.asp[/url] [an excerpt on scoring figure skating]: Evaluating In the scoring, judges take into consideration the difficulty of the performance, the variety of movements, the neatness in executing them, the area of the rink used for the performance, originality of the presentation and interpretation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:05:27 AM EDT
Point taken about track events... gymnastics remains as a problem here. What about skiing events such as free-style? Many of the horsey events, too. Why denigrate people who work very hard and develop tremendous skills as athletes? What do they say? Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, administrate. Those who can't administrate, criticize. Or something like that. Either way, it matters not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:13:09 AM EDT
nobody need be denigrated because their competition is not truly a sport. they still compete. they still train. they still get paid. the IOC and television networks still make millions. the world goes on. decide for yourself whether or not you think these activities are or are not sports. just actually come up with objective criteria to define and score the sport first. simply because someone trains hard at a difficult skill does not make it a sport. i suppose the point is lost here.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:16:00 AM EDT
And boxing? Aside from a knockout, same problem. Now if you want real "sport", try this thread: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=93096[/url] "Pro Wrestling on Wheels." Bwahaha!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:30:36 AM EDT
same problem? there is no problem. either it fits the objective criteria of a sport or it doesn't. simple. with boxing,it can be argued that the opponent is the ball, and that the object is to knock the ball out of play. i don't personally think it fits the criteria with this weak analysis.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:49:31 AM EDT
I'd argue your basic definition (i.e., running + ball = sport), and instead propose that in the real world, whoever makes the rules for that "sport" gets to define what is and isn't. My preference is for a common sense definition- if it involves some athletic ability or skill, it's a sport. Chess wouldn't count. Boxing, gymnastics, all the horsey events would. Of course, this IS the country where ketchup was defined as a vegetable. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:54:36 AM EDT
mr scott, i think you have hit the nail squarely on the head!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:00:20 AM EDT
Figure Skating is NOT a sport, it is an Olimpic Event. There is a difference. Figure Skating was made an Olimpic event to help unleash the repressed thought, feelings, and impulses collectivly known as the Lolita Complex. Why do you think they dress young nimble men and women in skin-tight and often scantily clad uniforms bending in all sorts of unatural positions while litterally the whole world watches? Duh! Can we say Jailbait on Ice?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:00:35 AM EDT
Anything that cannot have an OBJECTIVE score attached to it is not a true sport in my opinion
View Quote
How about boxing? Is that a sport? It has a panel of judges who score the match somewhat subjectively. Bowling and Golf have very objective scores- are they sports? Or are they just drinking games? Is competitive shooting a sport? Dictionary definition: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively." Yeah, I guess it is a sport.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:19:54 AM EDT
So maybe chess *is* a sport, after all... [:)]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:32:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott: So maybe chess *is* a sport, after all... [:)]
View Quote
". . .Queen's Rook takes King's Knight, [b]AND THE CROWD GOES WILD![/b]"
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:06:00 AM EDT
Maybe the question should be " Is F.S. a sport,a contest,or a performing art" At the heart of the matter is the fact that a judge will use his/her OPINION that one team is better than another. Do the judges have a set of guideline to score by?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:27:54 AM EDT
I’ve played hockey on ice that’s been skated on by figure skaters. It sure as hell isn’t chewed up. Ever heard of a Zamboni? Its totally a sport! If you don’t think so, try it? Its bloody tough. Its really to bad about all the gay men though. Maybe they could make a biathlon sport of figure skating. Figure skate then shoot your service rifle, figure skate then shoot,….
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:58:58 AM EDT
Figure skating is definately NOT a sport. It's nothing more than dancing while wearing ice skates. Any activity that is at least partially judged on the costumes worn instantly removes it from the "sports" catagory in my opinion. Yup, it takes athletic ability. Yup, it's not easy. And yeah, it is considered an Olympic event. Still not a sport. One of the great mysteries of the world to me is why such sappy event like figure skating is so damn popular in this country. Points for style, make up aplication, music selection and costumes immediately removes it from the sports catagory and places it in the foo foo flamer catagory. Just because somethings difficult or requires a degree of athletic ability does not qualify it as a sport. A contest, sure. A sport, never.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:12:44 PM EDT
Ernie Hemingway made the distinction. "It's not a sport unless it can kill you. Bullfighting, mountain climbing, auto racing; those are sports. Anything else is simply children's games played by adults."
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:18:21 PM EDT
Whether it's a 'sport' or not, I kind of like to watch SOME of it on the olympics because, hey, where else on prime-time TV are you likely to get a really good crotch shot off of a VERY healthy and attractive young woman wearing very, VERY little in the way of clothing? No doubt you've seen the pics of Katarina Witt that showed that East Germans don't understand the concept of the 'bikini shave' ? [:D] [:I] I can definitely appreciate the level of physical conditioning and developed balance skills that competition at the top level requires, too. But then, are the shooting sports "sports" in an Olympic-acceptable form? Whether they are or not, I'd rather watch them. CJ
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:29:46 PM EDT
I dunno if I consider figure skating a 'real' sport or not, it does take being an athelete to do. As for motorsports, I would bet a large figure against anyone that crawled in a car and wasn't in shape.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:42:31 PM EDT
Snowboarding is the event that bothers me. When I was young, slackers would ditch school and go boarding. In my mind it is the "sport of losers". It is fun recreation, but an Olympic event??? Give me a break. Boxing used to mean they fight until somebody is knocked out or quits. They only started scoring to make it more "civilized". I remember when fights would go 15 rounds. What about 'ice dancing"? - Definitely a performing art. Just because it is an art and not a sport does not make it invalid. If it is fun for you, go right ahead and do it. Just don't compare it to a real sport.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:56:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mejames: Snowboarding is the event that bothers me. When I was young, slackers would ditch school and go boarding. In my mind it is the "sport of losers". It is fun recreation, but an Olympic event??? Give me a break. .
View Quote
I would disagree with you there. It's no less a sport than skiing is. It's a race against the clock, like skiing, and requires at least as much athletic ability. Freestyle snowboarding has a 100 times more dimention than freestyle skiing as well. I think you're confusing your dislike of the average snowboarder for the fact that on an Olympic Games level it's no less an event than any other, and in many cases a better event. Don't get me wrong, it isn't at the level that Olympic hockey is, that's for sure, but compared to many other events it definately qualifies as a valid sport and event on the same or higher merits as other competitions. Just my opinion.......and oh....did I mention I've been snowboarding for 10 years now? To slam snowboarding as a sport in the context of this thread(figure skating), I have to say is pretty funny. By the way, I agree that a lot of people attracted to snowboarding on a recreational level are little punks that are more concerned with looking cool than the actual sport itself, but like I said, on an Olympic level it hangs with the best of the winter games athletes.
Top Top