Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/7/2001 4:36:48 AM EDT
I'm soon to be a proud owner of a LEGP M4gery. I would also like to me able to shoot longer distances with greater accuracy. I was thinking about getting a complete upper with a 24" barrel but they are quite expensive. I saw that I could get a bull barrel with sights and handguards for around $200. Which leads me to the follwing questions. 1) How hard is it to change a barrel (time)? 2) How much better is a 24" bull type barrel then a 20"? 3) Do you switch uppers or just barrels?
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:44:27 AM EDT
Switch uppers. You won't save any money the other way. You will need the tools & the time will be a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:46:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2001 4:47:23 AM EDT by critter_FR]
I switch uppers. You can get uppers without carriers and bolts for almost as little as you're paying for the barrel and hand guard. For instance, I recently found a 16" HBar upper for $175. Just use the carrier and bolt you have now. Legal disclamer: It is wise to check head spacing on the new upper with the old bolt. [:)]
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:50:04 AM EDT
I agree. Switch uppers. I recently removed the barrel on my AR so that I could switch barrel nuts. The job wasn't really that difficult, but it is not one that I would want to do regularly. You might even consider selling your LEGP upper and using that money to get the bull barrel upper of your choice. I would personally keep the LEGP upper to plink with and be rough on, and get a bull barrel upper for distance shooting. I don't like to shoot a bunch of rapid fire through my bull barrel uppers. But that's just me. I can't see spending a bunch of money on a really nice upper and then treat it like garbage.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 4:53:05 AM EDT
Thanks guys, I didn't think of that. I assume it is easy to switch bolts? So, which is better a 20" bull barrel or a 24" in terms of accuracy and fun factor. Since I already have a 16" heavy barrel I'm looking for this barrel to be capable of making shots I could not make with the regualr 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 6:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/7/2001 6:09:11 AM EDT by ques86]
You probably won't see a great deal of accuracy difference between a 20 and a 24, but since you already have an upper for plinking and mobility and weight is not such a high criteria, I would go ahead and go with the 24. It may give you a little increase in accuracy and velocity as well. I'd also look into a fluted barrel as it will keep weight down and dissipate heat faster. ques
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 1:47:46 PM EDT
I do switch, I also have a complete set of Headspace Gauges from Bushmaster (they are fairly expensive). I use the standard initial check of lowering bolt in receiver and with light pressure pushing to closed position. Anyway, but I believe that most parts purchased are Mil-Spec so will interchange with each other. The USMC Tech Manual says it is dangerous for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 6/7/2001 3:02:20 PM EDT
I switch uppers, you have to after you run through 3 mags on Full Auto. Switch uppers, shoot all day long. There is always a cool barrel/upper laying around somewhere...
Top Top