Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Monday, June 5, 2000
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If there is any evidence of god's existence, it's the presence of dogs, the most noble of creatures.

Too bad people turned out to be such assholes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I can understand why some people are afraid of dogs.  Mine is a vicious attack dog.  Here's her on patrol:

[img]http://www.calabrats.com/dog/Shilohclosseup.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If there is any evidence of god's existence, it's the presence of dogs, the most noble of creatures.

View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Leave it to the so called "University" of Texas to have a study about "dog phobia".  What a bunch of liberal whiney sissies.

SGB, did you have this stored or did you really have to do some [:K] research this morning.[;)]

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Huh, so far only 8% indicate they have a problem with dogs.

I wonder if you also asked what people did for a living, how many of that 8% would be "Law-Enforcement"????..... [:D]

(I guess this this is NOT going as planned eh SGB?? [;D])
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Interesting.  I know many people who are absolutely terrified of Dogs. [red]Same people wouldn't back down in a firefight[/red], but want absolutely nothing to do with dogs. Large, small, does not matter.
View Quote

Are these people by any chance cops?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I wonder if you also asked what people did for a living, how many of that 8% would be "Law-Enforcement"????..... [:D]
View Quote

I would guess postal employees or meter readers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I would guess postal employees or meter readers.
View Quote

Huh!! You're right, those people prolly see more mean dogs than 'bout anyone on the planet, 'cept mebee a Chinese butcher!! [:D]

Just curious, would you happen to know the latest statistics as to how many postal employees or meter readers had to kill dogs out of fear of death, or bodily injury??? [;D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:06:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I chose the not afraid of dogs statement. & while I'm not afraid of dogs there are many I don't trust, & keep my distance if I fell things could get ugly. Like pitbulls,& rot's. I would go out of my way to avoid them, not from fear, but rather a mistrust. Say what you want about my statement, but I don't hang out in bars, & other seedy types of places for the same reason. I will live longer, & better if I choose to be in safer environments.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#14]
It's all about attitude and your level of fear.

I don't care how vicious a dog looks or act's, any size dog. I am ALPHA over ANY dog.

I MAY take a bite or two in the process of determining that I am the alpha, but I will prevail.

I will not have to shoot the dog either.

He/she will end up with the utmost respect for me through determining that I am the alpha. Because of that respect the same dog will die to protect me.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
20 yrs in the small pkg del business so I guess the answer is uh no. [:)] Would have sure had to choose a different line of work if I was. Maybe LEO. That way ...BAM! [peep]

Nomex encapsulated. Fire away.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#16]
i just watched a show one TLC called "Dangerous Dogs". it said that there are 900 dog attacks a day. on the average 17 of the people die.

i am not afraid of dogs. i have been biten a couple times, once was pretty bad. however, if a dog comes at me snarling and growling trying to bite me then he will not make it home that night.

I don't care how vicious a dog looks or act's, any size dog. I am ALPHA over ANY dog.

I MAY take a bite or two in the process of determining that I am the alpha, but I will prevail.

He/she will end up with the utmost respect for me through determining that I am the alpha. Because of that respect the same dog will die to protect me.
View Quote

does that include an attack dog that has been ordered to attack you? how about a wolf? what about a 282 pound english mastiff(worlds largest dog). how about a rabid dog?

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have found that attitude works pretty well for me, too.

On a similar note, one thing I find rather curious is that lots of dog trainers seem to think that dog training is all about establishing the alpha position of the person over the dog. Personally, I have owned lots of dogs, and I know lots of other people who have owned them. I know a pretty fair number of dogs that are fairly aggressive and will definitely keep intruders off the property (like my 120-pound year-old puppy, for example) but I can't recall seeing too many that were confused about who was the alpha in the dog and dog-owner relationship. That just seems silly from the dogs I have known.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:32:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
does that include an attack dog that has been ordered to attack you?
View Quote

You mean, that dead dog now laying on the sidewalk?

how about a wolf?
View Quote

There aren't many in my neighborhood and, from what I hear, they aren't as big as my pup.

what about a 282 pound english mastiff(worlds largest dog).
View Quote

Seeing as how they are known as "living rugs" and don't generally show aggression unless you seriously invade their territory . . .

How about a rabid dog?
View Quote

I can't recall the last time I even heard of one of those, but I would probably be more scared of the series of rabies shots that would come after I killed the rabid dog.

But maybe if it was a rabid, wolf-mastiff crossbreed trained as an attack dog . . .

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]
i worked at a vet clinic and almost got bit a few times.  i'm not scared of them..i do know there are a few breeds to watch out for.

the police dogs that came in [b]were all[/b] sketchy, i would never turn my back on one.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#20]
How could anyone be scared of these faces:
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0ZQDLAnUfCWgrSBPFjsh!w8ZKNaUrtWJK0G9p46eP2s16aQxQqqNpo744*QlLsMPEADuO27yPwhHKrpcPojhn2ie06Q0EN2fIO5XBAMXCzXFjskBaYhBTP4MJ8cEjWBIpP70TeLbDudqInvKLkgJehA/Puppies%20sitting%20for%20treats%204.JPG[/img]

Actually people are scared to death of our girls if they don't know them because they are large and have very deep barks.  Don't mind too much as the Jehova's Witnesses are running down the driveway throwing their magazine back at us.  All you need is a biscuit to shut them up though, the little treat whores.

BTW, I love all dogs, but there are a few that I've seen I give a wide berth to.  Like humans they are not totally predictable, though you never want to show fear.  Just be reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean, that dead dog now laying on the sidewalk?

how about a wolf?

There aren't many in my neighborhood and, from what I hear, they aren't as big as my pup.

Seeing as how they are known as "living rugs" and don't generally show aggression unless you seriously invade their territory . . .

How about a rabid dog?

I can't recall the last time I even heard of one of those, but I would probably be more scared of the series of rabies shots that would come after I killed the rabid dog.
View Quote

he said he would not have to shoot the dog, and the jist of his statement was that the dog would still be alive afterwards. while some of my examples are probably far fetched, the statement was "any dog".

what about a group of dogs? they are pack hunters, and there have been many cases of multiple dogs involved in an attack on a person.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
i worked at a vet clinic and almost got bit a few times.  i'm not scared of them..i do know there are a few breeds to watch out for.

the police dogs that came in [b]were all[/b] sketchy, i would never turn my back on one.  

View Quote

Oh, you said "police DOGS". Hmmmm, wonder why.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I was attacked from behind by a dalmation as a kid.  Kind of an ambush attack really.

Have hated dogs ever since.  If I don't know em, I would just as soon shoot 'em. I'm really not afraid of much else, just f'in hate dogs, especially dalmations.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#25]
A couple of years ago my dog, 'BONES', got a bit too aggressive with the kids.
I posted here about it and was told some interesting things, which I immediately put into action, namely, I grabbed the dog by the ears and screamed into his face at the top of my lungs:
"YOUFUCKINGDOGDON'TYOUEVERFUCKINGDOSOMETHINGLIKETHATAGAINORI'LLFUCKINGRIPYOURHEADOFFDOYOUFUCKINGUNDERSTANDWHATI'M FUCKINGSAYINGTOYOUYOUSTUPIDFUCKINGDOG?!!!
[;D]
I made sure he understood who was the 'Alpha Male'.
We worked on a few more things after that.
Now, he rolls over and readily exposes his neck/throat area whenever that action is deemed necessary by him.  I reassert myself at that point by grabbing him by the throat and telling him "Who's your Daddy, boy?".  [:D]
No more problems!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

What part of "ANY dog" did you not understand? An attack dog will not be so vicious towards you if you are more vicious towards him first. I will rip an attacking dog apart before I let him/her mortally would me. The first place I'm going to grab is the dog's mouth and then just rip jaw's apart with all my might. I would stop attacking him/her as soon as him/her stopped attacking me. Dog's normally stop attacking when they discover their jaw is broken.

how about a wolf?
View Quote

As far as I'm concerned a wolf is just a wild German Shepherd. Yes a wolf too. [rolleyes]

View Quote

Now that's a dog that if it had an attacking me and I WAS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE, AND HAD NO POSSIBILITY OF ESCAPE......I would shoot that dog first and ask questions later. I don't think anybody would razz me a 155 lb man for shooting a 282 lb attacking dog IF I WAS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE.

how about a rabid dog?
View Quote

I'm 38 year old and have never seen a rabid dog. But, yes I would shoot a rabid dog no matter where he/she was IF he/she was threatening me or mine. Otherwise I would avoid and evade.

The point of this is NOT so much what I'd do, It's more what I would not do.

First of all I would never enter a property invited or uninvited without backup.

Secondly, as you can see from my answers to your questions I would only shoot the 282 lb. dog IF he/she were threatening me, and I had no escape at all. The rabid dog/cat/possum/racoon.skunk etc. needs to die regardless. All other dog's you asked about I would simply stop them from attacking me without killing them.

Third, I would NEVER enter a property unless I was ABSOLUTELY sure I was....

1. at the right home

2. had permission from the property owner to be on the property

3. sure the owner had all pets secured.

So this whole senario would neverrarely/one in a million happen to me.

Besides what in the name of all that's good does your scenario have to do with a JBT killing peoples pet's?

Let me say it this way, I DO NOT FEAR DOG'S. DOG'S FEAR ME. Killing a dog would be the last resort, gaining it's respect would be first priority.

You need to understand something about me, I cook Grizzly Bear meat over an open fire and eat Porcupines with my bare hands, I would enjoy breaking the jaw of a Doberman or a Rottie who attacked me. I would be alpha for sure then. [;D][LOL]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

(I guess this this is NOT going as planned eh SGB?? [;D])
View Quote

Lib:

As a former police officer I don't have any problems with dogs.

As a matter of fact. I used to get called on to handle most of the visious dog complaints in the city. Which using a little common sense and caution, usually turned out to be a dog just having some fun.

ED
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top