Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2017 6:50:07 AM EST
As the title says. This could be just casual selling or business - I happen to be an FFL. Anyone else adding their own quick Google of the buyer to see if there's any public social media posts that indicate they might be the next Bernie supporter who decides the shoot up Congress? Think about it. These crazies are only going to get crazier. They always want to enhance background checks - perhaps we perhaps we should oblige them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:13:31 AM EST
with money transfer business there is a SAR "suspicious activity report" that can be filed when a customer displays "suspicious" characteristics. I have never heard of any report like that for FFL dealers but that may be an option? I don't sell much if any but I wouldn't,as an individual, sell to someone that I deemed "suspicious"but IDK if you have the same latitude?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:27:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By kab85:
As the title says. This could be just casual selling or business - I happen to be an FFL. Anyone else adding their own quick Google of the buyer to see if there's any public social media posts that indicate they might be the next Bernie supporter who decides the shoot up Congress? Think about it. These crazies are only going to get crazier. They always want to enhance background checks - perhaps we perhaps we should oblige them.
View Quote

minority report

thought crimes

The natutral rights that the Constitution enumerates, especially the 2nd, are clear shall not be infringed.

I've been in tune with this community a long time, it's funny the number of gun industry/ FFL people I've run into over the years that could give two fucks about rights, it's all business.

So to answer your question, NO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:47:47 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mike_Miller:

minority report

thought crimes

The natutral rights that the Constitution enumerates, especially the 2nd, are clear shall not be infringed.

I've been in tune with this community a long time, it's funny the number of gun industry/ FFL people I've run into over the years that could give two fucks about rights, it's all business.

View Quote
His business, his rules. If someone came in with a "Hunt Republicans" or Antifa shirt, I'd refuse a sale too. First, it's CYA if their intent is violent. Second, fuck those guys in particular. The 4473, NFA and GCA are all unconstitutional but they must be followed, or should an FFL not abide by those laws? OP has the right to sell to whom he pleases, unless he's a Christian baker.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:49:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By trvln:
with money transfer business there is a SAR "suspicious activity report" that can be filed when a customer displays "suspicious" characteristics. I have never heard of any report like that for FFL dealers but that may be an option? I don't sell much if any but I wouldn't,as an individual, sell to someone that I deemed "suspicious"but IDK if you have the same latitude?
View Quote

During your initial interview with the ATF it's made very clear that if a customer gives you a bad vibe you do not have to do the sale/transfer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 7:53:00 AM EST
Sell guns?
I don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:15:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By JVD:
Sell guns?
View Quote
This!

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:22:26 AM EST
View Quote

When a customer gets a delay (or a deny) I sometimes check my state's courts reporting website to see if they have any felony convictions. I do this only out of nosiness and idle curiosity. I've also done this with pawn customers facing default just to see if there's obvious reason they won't be picking up their gun (that recent domestic assault charge, for example).

Sometimes I look at facebook before foreclosing on a pawn loan to see there's something going on in the customer's life that would explain their failure to return for their pledge. I only do that with previously solid/long-term customers with good redemption records, though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:27:27 AM EST
I really don't care who they are as long as they're legally able to purchase and possess a firearm from me.

Yeah bro, I want my enemies to have freedom too. It's not something many people embrace.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:28:25 AM EST

minority report

thought crimes

View Quote
He also has the freedom to say no. His business, his rules. Funny how that works in a free country. He is not bound by law to sell guns to anyone. We may have the Right, but he doesn't have the mandate to sell to whomever happens to be asking.

Check yourself before going all hung-ho on a very active board that you happen to be 'in tune with.'
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:28:40 AM EST
Originally Posted By Frog_Legs:
This!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Frog_Legs:
Originally Posted By JVD:
Sell guns?
This!

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:31:01 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 8:32:37 AM EST by Caeser2001]
I only keep guns I shoot. I'd rather trade or even sell at a minor loss something that collects dust for something. I've been at the point where I haven't sold anything in a while. I have what I need. I just need duplicates of what I have.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:40:08 AM EST
OP hates freedom.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:46:10 AM EST
you have a right to buy a gun in this country.. I have the right to not sell a gun to you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:54:04 AM EST
I have sold some stuff, but only on gun boards. None of the buyers have been new accounts, they are all long-time members.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:10:02 AM EST
Personal Rule:
"Guns acquired are guns kept."

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:11:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By Wiz-of-Awd:
Personal Rule:

A.W.D.
View Quote
Do you intend to own them all?

They're just things. Buy, sell, whatever. They made a bunch of them. They'll probably make more.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:13:05 AM EST
There is no sell

Only buy!

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:14:03 AM EST
I've only ever sold to family or close friends.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:14:48 AM EST
Obviously as a dealer the question is more based in my daily experience, but I'm glad casual sellers are responding too.

Inb4 "he's atf"
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:15:39 AM EST
Thanks to all the potheads who voted in a clean sweep of Dems, private sales in CO require an extra tax and standing around at the local FFL waiting for the background check.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:18:09 AM EST
If I don't like a gun I sell it. As long as the sale is done within the proscribed laws to do so, it is a non issue for me. I will do a bill of sale for the transaction however to document that I no longer possess the gun or to prove ownership if I am buying.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:06:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By Systrexx:
OP hates freedom.
View Quote
This.  Just like assholes on backpage that want a DL, CCW, and bill of sale, when none of them are actually required.  If I want that, I buy at the store and also get a lifetime warranty.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:08:51 AM EST
Originally Posted By wildearp:
This.  Just like assholes on backpage that want a DL, CCW, and bill of sale, when none of them are actually required.  If I want that, I buy at the store and also get a lifetime warranty.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Originally Posted By Systrexx:
OP hates freedom.
Hey "asshole", I am an FFL. So come get your warranty. :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:11:45 AM EST
I only buy guns, I don't sell guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:47 AM EST
If your business is to deny sales to anyone that has a dissenting opinion and belongs to a far side of a political spectrum, I think you're going to find out soon that you're simply discriminating and/or losing most of your business.

There is also this thing called Facebook privacy settings, so are you going to now demand access like an employer or something?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:13:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 10:15:59 AM EST by BigMat]

minority report

thought crimes

View Quote
Says the sites strongest First Ammendment supporter 

"KEK LOL BYE" 

-As to the OP, I hadn't considered it, but I don't sell nearly enough guns to have considered it.  Not an FFL and I haven't in a year or so?  If I had a reasonable suspicion to believe a person planned to commit a felony I wouldn't but I believe that's my legal responsibility.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:15:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 11:08:08 AM EST by Wiz-of-Awd]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

They're just things. Buy, sell, whatever. They made a bunch of them. They'll probably make more.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Originally Posted By Wiz-of-Awd:
Personal Rule:

A.W.D.

I acquire what I research, want and have an attachment to (family guns, etc.)
I intend to retain ownership of those "things" that I have acquired.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:22:23 AM EST
Yes, I sell guns.  If I didn't I'd need a bloody warehouse to store them in.  Just in the last few years I've probably sold 30 or so.  And still have a 50 gun safe stuffed to the gills.  I sold a gun a couple of weeks ago and I bought a used gun yesterday.  

When I got my C&R license within the first couple of years I'd bought 100 plus surplus rifles.  In the years since that I've weaned the collection down to 1 each of the ones I really liked. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:32:16 AM EST
I sell what I don't use or don't need. Haven't had current event influence my purchasing decisions in a long time. These days are no different. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:36:02 AM EST

minority report

thought crimes

View Quote
Poorly reasoned.
Your right to own a gun is not connected to any responsibility on
anyone else's part to furnish you one.

Any seller who is not cautious is a fool.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:05:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By TacticalHeater:
If your business is to deny sales to anyone that has a dissenting opinion and belongs to a far side of a political spectrum, I think you're going to find out soon that you're simply discriminating and/or losing most of your business.

There is also this thing called Facebook privacy settings, so are you going to now demand access like an employer or something?
View Quote
How many leaps of logic did you need to jump that gap?

The guy that shot up the congressional ballgame had a very public post threatening. A quick search would have seen it. No demanding access.

If you're dumb or crazy enough to post that publicly and then hand someone your license for a purchase of a gun, you have it coming.

My business is to sell to people who are responsible law abiding folks. Not people who are one shake away from falling out of the nut tree. Far left, far right, whatever - if your public persona reads like a manifesto, it's not gonna be my sale that aids it. This is my third business; I don't need your one potentially crazy ass sale tbh.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:26:46 AM EST
If I sell, I reserve the right to refuse a sale if I don't like your shoes, or whatever reason I deem good enough.

If I know you're a lefty, I will not sell to you period. I'm not arming people calling for the elimination of my rights, and possibly the elimination of my life.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:43:17 AM EST
I used to reach across the aisle and get lefties into shooting. This is a marked change for me overall.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:09:32 PM EST
I used to reach across the aisle and get lefties into shooting. This is a marked change for me overall.
View Quote
Why? Owning a gun doesn't turn a person into a conservative.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 12:20:58 PM EST
Yeah I sometimes sell guns I don't want anymore. If I don't use it then it gets sold. I could care less about the stupid anti-gun left. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:34:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 1:35:10 PM EST by AcidGambit]
As I have gotten older and my safe has become crowded, I have sold off things I never shoot... Nothing seriously collectable.

I will only sell on here, ftf locally only to people I know or someone I trust knows.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:48:20 PM EST
View Quote

Every single time I have sold or bought something from someone local, I always do a Facebook search of them to check them out before I agree to meet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:50:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By Jfor:
Every single time I have sold or bought something from someone local, I always do a Facebook search of them to check them out before I agree to meet.
View Quote
I couldn't even tell you the names of the people I've done FTF deals with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:51:00 PM EST
I keep every gun I buy. Never gotten rid of one of them. Plan to keep it that way too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:55:32 PM EST
They have to pass my background check.
"Are you a felon?"
"Did you bring the cash?"
Proceed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 1:56:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 1:57:10 PM EST by DaveP1]
I am also a FFL, but I did not get it to sell guns and I won't do transfers, unless it is family or a long time friend, if I buy a gun, it is for me and I keep it, all of them will go to my kids when I am gone.

Of course we have no one in my family or friends that are anti gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:56:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Extorris:

I couldn't even tell you the names of the people I've done FTF deals with.
View Quote
I can't tell you now, but I always ask for their name so i know what to call them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:16:11 PM EST
I just usually go by first impressions either on the phone or in person as to whether I go through with a FTF or not.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:19:51 PM EST

minority report

thought crimes

View All Quotes

minority report

thought crimes

Am I the government when I sell a gun?

I of course look a person up and down (so to speak) before agreeing to sell them a gun. I don't care at all what their rights are--if they look like a tweaker or they won't shut up about how Bernie is their messiah, then screw them. They can buy a gun elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:38:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

He also has the freedom to say no. His business, his rules. Funny how that works in a free country. He is not bound by law to sell guns to anyone. We may have the Right, but he doesn't have the mandate to sell to whomever happens to be asking.

Check yourself before going all hung-ho on a very active board that you happen to be 'in tune with.'
View Quote
Your flawed logic is also used by out of control government to restrict natural rights.

But muh business my rules.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:42:26 PM EST

Your flawed logic is also used by out of control government to restrict natural rights.

But muh business my rules.
View Quote
Elaborate.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:47:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By Londo:
Poorly reasoned.
Your right to own a gun is not connected to any responsibility on
anyone else's part to furnish you one.

Any seller who is not cautious is a fool.
View Quote
Restricting someone's natural rights solely based on assumptions about their political alignment is fundamentally wrong.

If one cannot see that then they are no better than the anti-2A gungrabbers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:48:09 PM EST

Restricting someone's natural rights solely based on assumptions about their political alignment is fundamentally wrong.

If one cannot see that then they are no better than the anti-2A gungrabbers.
View Quote
A business owner declining to sell is not a restriction of natural rights.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:51:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By 103:

Am I the government when I sell a gun?

I of course look a person up and down (so to speak) before agreeing to sell them a gun. I don't care at all what their rights are--if they look like a tweaker or they won't shut up about how Bernie is their messiah, then screw them. They can buy a gun elsewhere.
View Quote
Then you are no different than the opposition.

I only agree you have natural rights if you agree with me, ffs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 5:52:09 PM EST

Then you are no different than the opposition.

I only agree you have natural rights if you agree with me, ffs.
View Quote
You are severely misguided in your thinking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top