Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/23/2013 7:47:00 PM EDT
I was 12 and in 7th grade on 9/11/01. Anyone else a kid at that time?

Today I listened to a 2 hour recording of the ATC radios and 9/11 felt more real again. At 12 years old Zoolander and Oceans Eleven felt more real than the news that was unfolding on the opposite coast.

Anyone now in their 20's still trying to figure it all out? Did you ever feel detached from it, yet still aware of it?
Does it ever make you mad?
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Vividly.

I was a Sr in high school 17 years old.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vividly.
View Quote

Was a freshman in high school
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was 21. I remember it quite well...hell, like it was yesterday.

Speed
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sitting in drivers ed. Freshman in HS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I was stationed in Germany when it happened. Because of the time difference, it was afternoon for me when it happened. Someone told me that they heard the initial reports off of AFN. I was sure they were screwing with me until I walked into the hangar and heard it for myself. We were put on Threatcon Delta shortly after and started running armed guards throughout the Kaserne.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I was in the chow hall after a seven mile run in Cav country. Saw the second plane hit and knew my life had changed forever. The place cleared out in a matter of seconds.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Topping out beam for the new building.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in 5th grade, had just gone to PE and we all got called back to the classrooms. We watched coverage for only a few minutes on the tvs in the classrooms. None of us knew anything else until we got home.

Got home, first thing I saw was the people jumping out of the towers, then footage cut to the collapses and I lost it. I cried for an hour or so just thinking about all the families.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Was there (FDNY since 95)

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:54:29 PM EDT
[#12]
VERY WELL.

I was in #1 fuel tank in an F-15 when it happened.

Threat con Delta sucks.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
i hate that fucking day

my dad saw the plane hit the pentagon

eerie is having absolutely no noise and seeing flights of F16's doing CAP over you.

fucking horrible day.  if it wasnt so important to remember the absolutely horrifying nature of that day.. id wipe it out of my memory.   then the fake patriotism afterwords.  just infuriates me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at Palisades nuclear plant in Michigan doing a forced outage. It got pretty crazy for few days. They cut a road through the woods and parked a missile battery and a radar truck on a bluff next to the plant in less than two days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Vividly.

View Quote

I came to post this.

I remember like it was yesterday. My school principal had the foresight to know something big was going on, so he let a lot of us watch live TV coverage. Saw the second plane hit live. Then I knew something very dark was unfolding. Saw the buildings collapse later. Saw people jumping out of buildings because it was better than burning alive. Dear God, the humanity...

When Bin Laden got took out, I was on the road. My wife called me and told me the breaking news. I put the XM on CNN to listen to the coverage. Seeing the crowds build outside the White House and hearing them chant "USA! USA!" just made the memories of 9/11 come back even more.

I have not forgotten and I will never forget.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife woke me up and told me a plane hit the WTC.  I thought it was a Cessna or something until I saw the news.  Then I knew we'd be playing Cowboys vs. Muslims soon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a gorgeous day with clear blue skies and low humidity. I had just got my daughter on the school bus and was outside at my next door neighbors talking to him when his wife came out and told us a plane had crashed into the WTC.
I went inside my house and put on the TV. When I saw a second plane crash, I knew it was going to be bad news.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Like it was yesterday.

I was on a tower crew, we were in Lodi, Ohio working on a tower site. Howard Stern was on the trucks radio when the first plane hit. When he said the second plane hit we knew something bad was up. We packed up and headed to the truck stop at the junction of I-71 and I-76. We got in the building and saw the first building fall.

I will never forget that as long as I am alive.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, I woke from a call from my dad just after the 2nd plane hit.
He said "Turn on the TV, there is some trouble in NYC".
I worked 2nd at the time so I was able to sit and watch this unfold for the rest of the day.
I heard things that AM live on TV that no one has heard ever again (but that is another thread).
I went to work with my head spinning , and my coworkers were in more than a few cases like ,, & and had no clue.
Now every year I am just .
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I was a 16yr old High School Sophomore sitting in my second period Eastern Civilization class when the Freshmen U.S. History teacher ran in the room and told us to turn on CNN

That day and the events there after had a lot to do with what I do for a living
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#21]
I was sitting on my couch eating a strawberry Pop Tart and watched the second plane hit. I had just been promoted to LEO sergeant three weeks earlier and went to work and watched the rest unfold on TV there.

I lived in an approach path to DFW airport and the total lack of air travel for the week or whatever it was was totally weird.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Never will forget.  My mom called that morning to say some plane crashed in New York, saw they second plane go through.  I knew right then we were fucked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#23]
I was 21.  Went for an early morning motorcycle ride and came back to my roommate watching CNN, about 3 minutes later the 2nd tower got hit.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes.

Just the day before, I finished a three day trip....flying back and forth between LGA and BOS.

Woke up the next morning to that crazy shit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I was 9 years old, I think it was 4th grade. My class was going to the computer lab. On one of the big TVs suspended from the wall, the computer lab teachers were watching the news. For some reason, I vividly remember the next few seconds; On the TV was footage of black smoke pouring out of one of the towers, then a cut to stock footage of a plane taxiing on a runway. One of the teachers turned around, saw us coming in and quickly turned the TV off. One of my classmates asked, "What happened?" and the teacher just said "Uh.. a plane crashed into a building." in a 'no-big-deal' kind of tone. We didn't hear anything about it for the rest of the day until we were released at the end of the day. My teacher told our class, "Something terrible happened in the world today. Talk to your parents about it when you get home."
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I came to post this.

I remember like it was yesterday. My school principal had the foresight to know something big was going on, so he let a lot of us watch live TV coverage. Saw the second plane hit live. Then I knew something very dark was unfolding. Saw the buildings collapse later. Saw people jumping out of buildings because it was better than burning alive. Dear God, the humanity...

When Bin Laden got took out, I was on the road. My wife called me and told me the breaking news. I put the XM on CNN to listen to the coverage. Seeing the crowds build outside the White House and hearing them chant "USA! USA!" just made the memories of 9/11 come back even more.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vividly.

I came to post this.

This is about where I was at. Same situation, our principal walked into every classroom and asked us to turn on the news. I believe he said, "There has been an attack on our country, we will all be tuning in to the news, If you feel uncomfortable watching you are welcome to go home. I sat in the same classroom all day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#27]
I was twenty nine, sitting in a hotel room with my wife. We were in Chicago for a friends wedding, because we were there for the wedding my father declined taking a trip to New York for work. The company he worked for had a office in World Trade Center complex, and he worked out of the Twin Towers often. He lost over twenty coworkers that day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I was in 8th grade

I was shitting myself as my father is a pilot for AA

I didnt find out it was his day off until 9/12

fuck
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Learning about the Revolutionary War during my history class in the 2nd grade.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Was there (FDNY since 95)  
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I was in college. Computer lit class. On the way to school on the radio I was listening on Mancows morning madhouse. He was saying that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. I wasn't really sure what the WTC was. Thought it was just a prank. But then when I got to class I found out it was real. First thing I said was "Are we at war yet?"

Then this guy that was recently immigrated from Bosnia said "This is not good.....not good.."

Nope, it wasn't good.

I got home and there was a message from my sister on my answering machine begging me to drive to Canada. She thought there would be  a draft. Then I called my parents and told them if there was a draft I would gladly join.

Then I went to get gas and waited in line for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Just happened to stop by my parents house, just after 1st strike.
Watched the 2nd plane hit, and i will never forget my mom saying..."We are at war".
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Vividly.
View Quote

I also remember the F/A-18s thundering overhead at about 0100... very unnerving, considering the circumstances
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Like it was yesterday, I can still see the exact moment in my mind I heard it..
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep. 8th grade, began watching the attack during math. During spanish, the principal came over the speakers and informed us something bad happened, and to return to normal activities. Teacher's words were, "Fuck what he said, this is important."

School ended up letting out early, and I hate to say it, but I spent the rest of the afternoon at the skate park with my friends. Reality of what happened didn't set in for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes.  I was in the Pentagon.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I was a freshman in college. I remember it like it was yesterday. Very vividly.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yep. 8th grade, began watching the attack during math. During spanish, the principal came over the speakers and informed us something bad happened, and to return to normal activities. Teacher's words were, "Fuck what he said, this is important."

School ended up letting out early, and I hate to say it, but I spent the rest of the afternoon at the skate park with my friends. Reality of what happened didn't set in for a few days.
View Quote

Good, you didn't let the terrorist win.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes. Woke up and my next door neighbor said we had been attacked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:18:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I was on an Off Day.  I got to see the second plane hit and all.

What bothers me more than anything is that while we have had the plotters in custody for several years now, they have spent so little time in court.  They should have seen justice before Dubya's reelection.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:20:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Freshman in HS in NoVA.  Most of us in school had .mil parents.  Was in math class.  An announcement was made over the pa system and we watched the coverage the rest of the day.  I signed up at the local vol fire dept a few weeks later and got my 1001/2 the next year.  Im typing this post from work(FD) right now.  Will never forget that day because I'm old enough to remember pre 9/11 days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Vividly.

View Quote
same

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I was 18 and at work. My bosses wife came out and told us a plane crashed into one of the trade center tower. We went in to catch the news. I saw the second plane hit the tower live.

I remember it like it was yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#45]
7th grade Spanish class, taught by a teacher from Britain.

Vice Principal interrupted the class, took the teacher out of the room for a few minutes. At the end of the period, they announced on the loudspeaker what had happened.

The content of that message I don't remember, but I do remember sitting on the bus at the end of the day, waiting to pull out of the parking lot. The bus driver had AM radio on, did not care that kids were present (unlike the rest of the day where they hid it).

I remember staring at an American flag sticker that was pasted on the front of the bus above the driver listening to the radio the entire ride home.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#46]
I was in 6th grade and remember it like yesterday. I remember hearing it said that everyone remembers what they were doing when they heard about Pearl Harbor. 9/11 is no different.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I watched Air Force One fly overhead from Offutt In Omaha while picking up my kids after school.  Remember it like it was yesterday.

Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#48]
In flight school in Kingsville TX. Left class and watched the footage from my TV in the barracks.

Very angry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I guess I was 15. I remember it very vividly. Immediately knew who was behind it too. I remember quite a bit about the instant I heard about it. Spent the next month watching TV too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 8:24:33 PM EDT
[#50]
I was getting ready for a Staff Duty Runner shift at 75th HHC at Ft. Benning, GA.  We were in the lull between cycles so a lot of us Privates were doing chow hall KP, Staff Duty, and random other things that Privates get told to do.  I had my coffee and had just turned on the TV and shit hit the fan.  It got full bore crazy real fast.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top