Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:03 AM EDT
yes
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:15:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Who gives a shit?

www.democraticunderground.com/discuss

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:16:48 AM EDT
Yeah, it does matter. There's a little thing called the referral URL that tracks what page you were at when you clicked a link to the other page.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:17:33 AM EDT
GET BOTH!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:17:45 AM EDT
yes
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:40:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/20/2006 6:41:48 AM EDT by ByteTheBullet]
What do you think? This is from the bottom of geekswithguns.com.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:43:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zack3g:
Yeah, it does matter. There's a little thing called the referral URL that tracks what page you were at when you clicked a link to the other page.

And if you knew what even a mediocre programmer could do with that information, you'd keep certain hot links cold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
of course it matters! when we hit a poll, and hotlink to it, do you think the people hosting the poll will leave it up when they see that 1,000 hits came from an arfcom thread titled "fire mission".

don't you think we'd have more problems with DU trolls if their admins saw the sheer amounts of hits coming from here?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
Yes it matters. There have been some "Fire Mission" polls completely invalidated in the past, due to an administrator discovering that a large number of votes came from gun sites. Referral URL's are useful and often reported on. Heck, I do it on my own websites.

There's a solution, though. Get Linkification, an extension to Firefox (like you needed another good reason to use Firefox). It makes a cold link hot while supressing the referer URL. In otherwords, from the web server's perspective, you typed the address in your address bar. It's teh best of both worlds - convenience and anonomity. Get it here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=190&application=firefox

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:21:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
Yes it matters. There have been some "Fire Mission" polls completely invalidated in the past, due to an administrator discovering that a large number of votes came from gun sites. Referral URL's are useful and often reported on. Heck, I do it on my own websites.

There's a solution, though. Get Linkification, an extension to Firefox (like you needed another good reason to use Firefox). It makes a cold link hot while supressing the referer URL. In otherwords, from the web server's perspective, you typed the address in your address bar. It's teh best of both worlds - convenience and anonomity. Get it here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=190&application=firefox

now that is cool, gotta test this out
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:26:55 AM EDT
Other than "Fire Missions", what are the downsides?

I have heard this before, but didn't understand it

Logic says that if someone posts something on the web, they want people to see it. It doesn't matter where, or how they get there to see it, as long as they do see it.

curious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:40:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:47:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
What do you think? This is from the bottom of geekswithguns.com.

tinypic.com/m97xjl.jpg

ByteTheBullet (-:

I thought geeks knew how to spell.
Top Top