Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/12/2005 7:12:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 7:13:14 AM EST by arowneragain]
(Gun nuts, that is...)

This morning on the way to work, I decided to stop and clean out the bed of the truck. I had a bucket of berass that has been in the bed for a while....mostly .38 and .45, but some .40 and 9mm, too. Anyway, there were several hundred steel 'wolf' cases mixed in with it....and it had gotten rained in, so it was nice and rusty. I decided to throw it away.

The owner of the car wash where I stopped was doing his saturday-morning maintenance. I carried the bucket of brass (probably 2500-3500 pieces) to the dumpster as he was emptying the trash cans.

Anyway, it was one of those chest-high dumpsters. I think the guy wanted the bucket.....he emptied it out, and was shocked at the brass. I came back with anothert load of odds/ends/garbage from the bed of the truck. He asked me if I shot much. 'Yeah, some'.

Anyway...a few minutes later, I'm spraying the bed of the truck out (coupla hundred empty cases rolling around in there weren't helping the paint....) and the guy comes by to talk.

First, he asked if I was a cop. I explained that I wasn't....some people hunt, fish, golf, drink, gamble, and so on, but shooting was my main hobby.

Anyway, he tells me about his pistol he shoots some (some sort of .22) and asked me a few questions, then went on about his business.

Nice enough guy....but it made me think:

We're not like 'them'.

He suggested I must be a good shot.

Me?

I hit what I'm aiming at.....but I'm no IDPA whiz or highpower king.

But it occurred to me....how much trigger time do I have, compared to the average soccer mom, or even the average 'I'm tough because I was born in the country' redneck?

I probably shot more pistol ammo this morning, before breakfast, than most people shoot in a year.

And I'm not a high-volume shooter by this site's standards.

Sure, I burn enough ammo in a year to pay for my next three planned firearms purchases......but I'm a lightweight by the 'gun culture' standard.

If the muslims/russians/martians/zombies ever invade......guys, it's gonna be interesting.

The average citizen is NOT PREPARED for anything worse than a flat tire.

Just my $0.02.....

Discuss.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:14:39 AM EST
On that note, is the AR15.com membership indicative of gun owners in general in this country or is it: more extreme, less extreme.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:15:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By clean_cut:
On that note, is the AR15.com membership indicative of gun owners in general in this country or is it: more extreme, less extreme.

stop hijacking my thread.

I'm not 'extreme'.

It's not my fault if the soccer moms can't shoot.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:17:25 AM EST
Yes we are just like them...we just shoot more.

My mother has 200+ egg cups.

No one is like her.

Same/same

SGtar15
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:18:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 7:18:59 AM EST by clean_cut]

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

It's not my fault if the soccer moms can't shoot.

They use their SUVs to maim and kill, and they have a license for it too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:20:56 AM EST

Good post. Good observation.

When the SHTF and society fractures, lots of folks are going to be in for a HUGELY rude awakening.

But then again, so will I, only slightly less hugely rude.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:24:41 AM EST
Like everyone else here Im known as the resident "gun freak" at work,.. The other day while conversing about the atlanta shootings on lunch break someone said, " maybe Mike(me) isnt such a crazy bastard for having a pistol with him 99% of the time".. Good point but they'll forget and become sheep as soon as the conversation is over, So yes they are different.,
Oh yeah STOP THROWING AWAY .45 Brass! send it to me
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:31:45 AM EST
The average gun owner has a box of ammo - 20~50 rounds, per gun
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:34:13 AM EST
I'm just a dime a dozen - run of the mill 6ft blonde that hunts and carries an AR for a living. Nothin unique at all!

Patty aka "Girl Next Door"
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:39:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By underdog75:
Like everyone else here Im known as the resident "gun freak" at work,.. The other day while conversing about the atlanta shootings on lunch break someone said, " maybe Mike(me) isnt such a crazy bastard for having a pistol with him 99% of the time".. Good point but they'll forget and become sheep as soon as the conversation is over, So yes they are different.,

Exactly.

After 9/11, everyone was in full-out survival mode.....for a week.

As for the .45 brass....well, I don't normally throw it away. This was just really messy.

Anyway.....How many Atlanta carjackings will it take before people realize we live in a nasty, evil world, where not everything is pretty and freindly aand people are out there that will hurt you, and.......

<--preaching to choir again.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:39:44 AM EST
another Red Dawn fantasy thread.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:43:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
I'm just a dime a dozen - run of the mill 6ft blonde that hunts and carries an AR for a living. Nothin unique at all!

Patty aka "Girl Next Door"

You?

Dime a dozen?

<---checking for change in his pocket...

<---rushing off to the 'five and dime' store to get me one......

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:43:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By evilyoda:
another Red Dawn fantasy thread.

Heck no!

I hate snow after a day or two.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:44:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:48:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By underdog75:

Exactly.

After 9/11, everyone was in full-out survival mode.....for a week.

As for the .45 brass....well, I don't normally throw it away. This was just really messy.

Anyway.....How many Atlanta carjackings will it take before people realize we live in a nasty, evil world, where not everything is pretty and freindly aand people are out there that will hurt you, and.......

<--preaching to choir again.

I am always being told by my friends that I am paranoid because I carry and handgun on me and have a loaded shotgun behind the seat of my truck. My handgun goes everywhere I go (unless it is to a bar or other places that serves drinks)

I have a backpack of survival goodies that might come in handy (knives, water filter spare compass, ect) A lot of people think I am a loon for having what I have. Compaired to most arfcommers I am a lightweight at best. However, I always want to be prepaired for the worst and I constantly hope for the best. Being a "gun nut" is a hobbie that may end up saving your life.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:49:15 AM EST
we are different in a way. we want to be prepared and that means that when theres a blackout i have candles and batteries. i can do the basics to stabilize a injury with stuff that is around. if there is a crisis that requires me to have a weapon, i have one and know how to use it too.

i will probably be afraid if the situation ever came to that but i will deal with my fear and know that i am ready and able. thats the heck of a lot more than i can say say for most people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:52:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
The average gun owner has a box of ammo - 20~50 rounds, per gun

There's some truth to this. A friend of the family (he and my dad are good friends and his stepson was my childhood best friend) is a "gun person." He has an AR among a few other firearms. When he goes shooting, he'll bring one box of ammunition. When he buys ammunition, he'll purchase a box or two. Occasionally he'll go halfsies on a case, but that is pretty rare.

When I showed him my vault and its contents, he nearly had a stroke. Funny thing is, probably 50-75% of the people on this board have more firearms than I do (11). As far as ammunition goes, I'm sure I have more than 75% of the people here, but that still leaves alot of people with more.

I gotta tell you, I think there is a pretty sizable pool of pent-up rage in this country over terrorism. Should something ever happen around here, I think a majority of sheeple would either be killed off immediately, roll over and play dead, give up, or run for their lives with no thought ever, EVER, of making a stand. That's pathetic, but atleast it's no secret, hence we will not be surprised when it goes down. Once you cut away the fat, that rage I mentioned earlier, once unleashed, will wind up cutting a wide swath of death and destruction upon its target.

Make absolutely no mistake about it; in ten-to-twenty years or so this place will be a powder keg like the United States has never seen. Ever.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 7:55:52 AM EST
Good post. I guess the majority of us here ARE different. I wan't really that much into it before I started here, just a little browsing as a guest at first, I rarely had more than a box or two of ammo for each of my hunting rifles and my .45, then I got the itch. I signed up here in October, then would up being a paying member in January, this morning I shot nearly 400 rounds, not counting the .22. It's bad here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:11:28 AM EST

Based on my experience, a flat tire is beyond most people's ability to deal.

I had four flat tires in one day - ugh. Good thing I just had my snow tires swapped off and still had them in the jeep.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:19:36 AM EST
And look at how many of them say that they are just going to come to your house if things get bad. I tell them that they are the kind of people that I'm worrying about.

We are indeed different from most of the country and even more of the world.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:21:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By RyJones:

I had four flat tires in one day - ugh. Good thing I just had my snow tires swapped off and still had them in the jeep.

4? WOW
that's some bad luck
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:23:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 8:24:46 AM EST by Daytona955i]

+1

Judging by my personal experience alone, I helped 9 people change tires on the roads last year. NINE. I saw that they had no idea what they were doing, so I asked if they needed help.

I did get one girls phone number...

Anyway.

I do agree with you arowneragain, people at my college (private university, middle of the road in terms of politics), a lot of them are SHOCKED that I own an AR. Among many other firearms... They always ask if I hunt. I explain to them that I like to bow hunt, etc, sometimes I hunt with a rifle, but I just like to shoot, either have fun, or compete. Some get it, some don't. It's amazing how many people I am going to take shooting again this spring (so far 15 have expressed interest). I took a huge group of people last spring, and last fall, and now even more people want to go.

I think it's because they never had the opportunity, never joined any clubs or anything, no one in their family had guns, so they never went shooting.

A few of the same people I took shooting last year are coming out again, with their own guns.

I firmly believe that given a chance, 85% of the never-shot-a-gun-before population will jump at the opportunity.

The rest of them are the loud mouth soccer mom types that hate guns.

It's odd how firearms are on tv and in the movies so much, but people never go out there and actually shoot them. They just watch. If they ever get some motivation, like "hey I'm going shooting, would you like to come?" They'll just about shit themselves with happiness.

At least that's my experience.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:25:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Flak_Jacket:

4? WOW
that's some bad luck

If I ever offer you the chance to go offroading, RUN AWAY
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:26:34 AM EST
I just spent a bit over $600 on ammo last night, and I still don't feel like I have any ammo.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:31:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:32:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I just spent a bit over $600 on ammo last night, and I still don't feel like I have any ammo.

I feel your pain.

<---has GOT to add some support posts to his closet shelves.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:34:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

+1

Judging by my personal experience alone, I helped 9 people change tires on the roads last year. NINE. I saw that they had no idea what they were doing, so I asked if they needed help.

I did get one girls phone number...

Anyway.

I do agree with you arowneragain, people at my college (private university, middle of the road in terms of politics), a lot of them are SHOCKED that I own an AR. Among many other firearms... They always ask if I hunt. I explain to them that I like to bow hunt, etc, sometimes I hunt with a rifle, but I just like to shoot, either have fun, or compete. Some get it, some don't. It's amazing how many people I am going to take shooting again this spring (so far 15 have expressed interest). I took a huge group of people last spring, and last fall, and now even more people want to go.

I think it's because they never had the opportunity, never joined any clubs or anything, no one in their family had guns, so they never went shooting.

A few of the same people I took shooting last year are coming out again, with their own guns.

I firmly believe that given a chance, 85% of the never-shot-a-gun-before population will jump at the opportunity.

The rest of them are the loud mouth soccer mom types that hate guns.

It's odd how firearms are on tv and in the movies so much, but people never go out there and actually shoot them. They just watch. If they ever get some motivation, like "hey I'm going shooting, would you like to come?" They'll just about shit themselves with happiness.

At least that's my experience.

After letting non-shooters or the non ar/ak types shoot my AR have have yet to have someone no like it. It gives them nothing but huge grins.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 8:34:49 AM EST
I ran into a client of mine yesterday at a resturant and he introduced me to his friends as "The Lady with the Machine Gun" They all hooted and brayed while shaking my hand and one asked me if I had an AK47 and I said no, I actually have an AR15 and that it's a semi automatic and not truly a machine gun. They all hooted and brayed some more "Oh that's a machine gun, blah blah blah." I just shook their hands and walked away. Men

Patty
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:07:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
How many of you guys have had somebody you know, a fellow worker or a relative, tell you when the SHTF, they're coming to your house? I have, more than once. They're not prepared, but they know I am, so they want to take advantage of my hospitality. What's more, they don't want to be prepared. My standard answer to that is, bring your own food and water, and I'll think about it. Otherwise, you're on your own. I'm not running a damn soup kitchen here. Which reminds me, I need to go rotate my cans.

Yep.

Unless they got some good shit to barter with, I'm not running a charity or welfare station. They can go to the refugee camps.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:17:39 AM EST
hmm... in montana we think of people who don't own guns as different. most don't shoot as much as me, or have as many guns, but i have only met a handful of people in my life who actually think i am weird because of my guns.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:19:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:

How many of you guys have had somebody you know, a fellow worker or a relative, tell you when the SHTF, they're coming to your house? I have, more than once. They're not prepared, but they know I am, so they want to take advantage of my hospitality. What's more, they don't want to be prepared. My standard answer to that is, bring your own food and water, and I'll think about it. Otherwise, you're on your own. I'm not running a damn soup kitchen here. Which reminds me, I need to go rotate my cans.

Yep.

Unless they got some good shit to barter with, I'm not running a charity or welfare station. They can go to the refugee camps.

I have enough for me, mine, and the neighbors. Nobody else is gonna come to me....too far out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:25:24 AM EST
I had a blow out in Nov in salt lake city, man did it suck. Had a dead flashlight and it was pitch dark out. Still got it done in about 6 minutes. Not record time but pretty dam good for going by feel and not loosing anything.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:25:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:29:08 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 9:44:37 AM EST by thelastgunslinger]

Originally Posted By olyarms:
I had a blow out in Nov in salt lake city, man did it suck. Had a dead flashlight and it was pitch dark out. Still got it done in about 6 minutes. Not record time but pretty dam good for going by feel and not loosing anything.

Is it just me, or was that a total non-sequitor?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:42:35 AM EST

Is it just me, or was at a total non-sequitor?

'bout 2 months ago, I was killing time before school, was at the convenience store, a girl came in w/ a flat tire, looking to borrow a jack.

I changed her tire for her, while a whole gossip of college-aged women stood around offering useful advice like 'you look cold...can I get you some earmuffs?' and 'oh gosh, I've gotta call XXXX and tell 'em we had a flat, they'll never beleive it. '.

I changed the tire and left as fast as I could, freshly reminded why the world is going to collapse.....
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:49:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 9:49:47 AM EST by thelastgunslinger]

Is it just me, or was at a total non-sequitor?

'bout 2 months ago, I was killing time before school, was at the convenience store, a girl came in w/ a flat tire, looking to borrow a jack.

I changed her tire for her, while a whole gossip of college-aged women stood around offering useful advice like 'you look cold...can I get you some earmuffs?' and 'oh gosh, I've gotta call XXXX and tell 'em we had a flat, they'll never beleive it. '.

I changed the tire and left as fast as I could, freshly reminded why the world is going to collapse.....

Ahhhhhhh, gotcha. It amazes me the number of people who have never changed a tire (wheel really). I guess I have had bad luck, but I have changed out to my spare wheel many times. And the first time I got a flat, as a teenager, I didn't even stop to think that I should call someone to change it for me. There was a wheel, jack, and lug wrench in my trunk and I just went to work.

Now I talk to people, "men" even, who have no idea how to put their spare wheel on, and I am so disappointed that I don't know what to say.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:05:48 AM EST
I dont feel like I shoot enough, but then again, everyone I go shooting with says I shoot alot.

I feel bad when I have at least less than 500 rounds of ammo on hand. I just dont feel like shooting as much as I should and burn up all my damn ammo.

I shoot ALOT of varmints for the people around here. I dont think I shoot that many of em, but no one gets the varmint vapor vestry like I do...

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:15:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:The average citizen is NOT PREPARED for anything worse than a flat tire.

Just my $0.02.....

Discuss.

Shoot, the average citizen doesn't even know HOW to change a flat tire! My mom hit a nail that killed the tire, I happened to be w/her. I TRIED to change the tire FOR HER, (she's my MOM!) but she didn't want me to, because all that was THERE was a "donut" tire. Apparently, she had BAD luck w/those in the past. So she called dad, who called AAA, then showed up RIGHT before THEY did. ALL THEY did was what _I_ wanted to do, change the flat w/the donut!

DAD can do both (shoot and change a flat) but w/AAA why bother (he's over 60, anyway)... still.... I'd've had it already changed and we'd have been 1/2 way home by the time AAA got there. (About 10-15 minutes)

And I'm not SO MUCH a "gun nut" as I am a "gun rights nut" but I still usually shoot at LEAST 100 minimum to 300 rounds/month, unless I'm REALLY REALLY busy, or not feeling well. I do NOT think people are odd who have 20,000+ rounds for their firearms, but that they are "practical" ... if they do not "rotate" the ammo - THEN I DO think they are weird Also I think they are a bit "odd" if they have less than 5000 rounds.

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
I ran into a client of mine yesterday at a resturant and he introduced me to his friends as "The Lady with the Machine Gun" They all hooted and brayed while shaking my hand and one asked me if I had an AK47 and I said no, I actually have an AR15 and that it's a semi automatic and not truly a machine gun. They all hooted and brayed some more "Oh that's a machine gun, blah blah blah." I just shook their hands and walked away. Men

Patty

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:23:15 AM EST
Seperate the yellow brass away from any steel casings. Last I sold was .28 cents a pound.

I had a tad over 200 lbs.

Danny
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:26:27 AM EST

If you do not know the answer then you are not one of us.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:34:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:

Bob

I never did well with the clique mentality. I prefer to keep my individuality and independence of thought, thank you. But, if that is your thing to feel like you belong, then who am I to criticize.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:41:39 AM EST

This is why I quit talking about it with people. You don't want to tell them no way can they show up empty handed because they will know they are not welcome and will still want to come...maybe with a plan not in your favor.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:46:47 AM EST

Bob

I never did well with the clique mentality. I prefer to keep my individuality and independence of thought, thank you. But, if that is your thing to feel like you belong, then who am I to criticize.

So then, go away, Rachel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:48:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Good post. Good observation.

When the SHTF and society fractures, lots of folks are going to be in for a HUGELY rude awakening.

But then again, so will I, only slightly less hugely rude.

Im afraid the "gun nuts" are going to be in for the worst of the rude awakenings.. Who do you think the first target would be?

Atleast most would have a fighting chance i guess, but its hard to shoot back when they give your house a drive-by at 30,000 feet.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:48:22 AM EST
I'm just glad I found this site For allot of reasons, but, mostly I know I'm not alone in the world. The answer is yes...We are different. Unlike the general populous (ie..sheeple) we don't expect the .gov to cradle to grave us and have'nt lost the warrior spirit that has made this country the envy of the world. The femininizing of the American male and the fear of political correctness(being branded a racist, biggot, homophobe ect...) being shoved down everyones throat. Every time you turn around someone is bashing your way of life or making it against the law to do said things, like gun laws, restrictions on fishing/hunting, smoking, drinking, net-ban, Confererate Battle Flags and Monuments, All Northern European/American traditions, Christmas , God, Oh the list goes on and so could I.
I own a bar, and believe me there are allot of people that don't have a f#cking clue. They like to talk shit but that''s about it. I go shooting at least 3 times a week now ( I miss the days I could shoot every day ) I train with the same intensity I did as a young Marine Rifleman and I live for the smell of burnt powder
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:50:08 AM EST

So true, lol.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:53:37 AM EST

Can't you just STAY gone ??

You just never know when to quit with this stupid 'psychoanalyzing' bullshit of yours, do you...

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:08:39 AM EST

Bob

Translated : I act like a retard on a regular basis here, and most likely in person as well. For this reason, I probably have few or no friends that want me around or can tolerate me for more than short periods of time. I have managed to convince myself I'm just "more specialer" than everybody else to make me feel better about being a weirdo stalker outcast.

Jeffrey Dahmer had "individuality and independance of thought"........ I'll bet he thought he was cool too.

Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:11:39 AM EST
I don't know about being extreme , but I do know
that when I see the typical news story of the guy
they caught with an " arsenal " in his home .

I cant help but think what they would say if
it were my home on the screen

___________________ ETA _________________

Of course this would have been before My tragic
boating mishap
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:14:45 AM EST
It would be interesting to see a demographic of ARFcom users.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 11:22:54 AM EST
I think my sig line covers this.

And true I'm a bit hardcore since I've spent a few $1000 on high volume casting equipment to make up my subgun ammo in bulk.

( not everyone keeps a spare half ton pile of lead ingots in case they want to do a casting marathon...)

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top