Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 2:31:49 AM EDT
I see some people place them right next to their license plate to ensure that the LEO that pulls them over does not miss it.

I have a shitload of those stickers (those bastards seem to have a "yearly" fundraising campaign every month), but I have not used them.  To me it seems like trying to buy my way out of a ticket.

Do you use them?  And do you think it's wrong to use them for the aforementioned reason?

ETA: Hey!  Post 556.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I see some people place them right next to their license plate to ensure that the LEO that pulls them over does not miss it.

I have a shitload of those stickers (those bastards seem to have a "yearly" fundraising campaign every month), but I have not used them.  To me it seems like trying to buy my way out of a ticket.

Do you use them?  And do you think it's wrong to use them for the aforementioned reason?

I think it's retarded. It's not going to get you out of anything around here, yet I saw a car just a few weeks ago with at least half a dozen of them on the back glass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't fear the police, nor do I pay extortion. I sure as Hell don't call fellow Citizens during family dinner hours and beg for money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:24:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldnt desecrate my vehicles with those stickers
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Stickers on your car is trashy
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I feel an obligation to write rather than warn on those vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#6]
They have no bearing on whether you get a ticket, so they are just taking up useful bumper space.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope.  I don't believe that they would get you out of a ticket.  Not being an asshole is better insurance against a ticket.

Of course, I don't have a phone, so it is kind of hard for them to call me during dinner!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Cop: Do you kow why I pulled you over?
Tony Soprano: How about I buy you and you and your wife dinner tonight - You can tell her about it.
Cop: License and registration please sir.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#9]
No

In fact this is the only sticker on my truck

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh, you mean "brown-nose stickers"?

I used to see them everywhere in Florida... usually on Buicks driven by Q-Tips.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cop: Do you kow why I pulled you over?
Tony Soprano: How about I buy you and you and your wife dinner tonight - You can tell her about it.

ok,I admit it--I hadn't heard that one before

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.

But I do have a "Bad Cop - No Donut" sticker on my take home car.

ETA: Giving to the FOP dosen't do jack shit for your local cops.  FOP (by whom I mean the leadership) dosen't have a clue what rank and file cops think.  99% of them are political hacks.  When I get a solicitation call from FOP, I hang up.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:56:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Take a good look at what percentage of the collections go to admistration and what really helps the community.  I bet you will stop this.  Why not give to NRA ILA?  It is a better cause.  FOP generally leans anti-gun, regardless of what their members think.

If you drive like an asshole, or don't have insurance, expect to pay a fine sooner, or later.  It all catches up with you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:02:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take a good look at what percentage of the collections go to admistration and what really helps the community.  I bet you will stop this.  Why not give to NRA ILA?  It is a better cause.  FOP generally leans anti-gun, regardless of what their members think.

If you drive like an asshole, or don't have insurance, expect to pay a fine sooner, or later.  It all catches up with you.

+1  Next time those people call, ask them what percentage of the money actually goes to your local law enforcement.  Our sheriff's dept holds an annual fundraising barbque and I support that instead.  Besides, it's more fun to drink a few beers and bullshit with and get to know your local guys.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#16]
My brother and his friend worked at FOP for 2-3 months.  Its a total sham.

Hell, when they call cops, they get cused out by them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
FOP?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FOP?

Fraternal Order of Police.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Nope, calling attention to yourself with one of those will never lead to anything good.
Either from LEOs or dirtbags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:29:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FOP?

Fraternal Order of Police.

Sheep

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#21]
It's generally crap.  The great majority of the funds go to the fundraising operation, not to the police.  Just ask them .  During my cop days, we knew that anyone with these stickers was just out to beat a ticket, and made sure we wrote them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:31:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Depends on the sticker there are the "fundraising" ones they give to anyone. Then there are the small "Active Member" ones.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already give to NRA-ILA and NRA-PVF.  I chose to support the FOP when the national FOP president publicly stated the FOP's support of the second amendment.  Never supported them before that because the Indianapolis lodge president is a flaming anti-second amendment guy.

And, no, I don't worry about tickets.  I drive like an old man.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Have FOP plates on all cars owned by my parents.
My father has been LE for 30+ years and counting.
Don't know if it has gotten me out of a ticket as I have never been pulled over.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
They give out FOP stickers for paying your taxes?

Oh, that's right, why would I donate to the police, who have had ruled in their favor that they have no duty to protect me?

I'd donate to Blackwater before the FOP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#29]
There is a difference in the stickers.

The FOP Supporter stickers are from giving donations.

The FOP license plates or the metal/plastic badges are only on cars owned by cops or family members of cops with the small metal/plastic badges.

Just trying to clear up any confusion.

ETA: Both of my cars have FOP license plates from the state. I had to show I was LEO and present a form from my state FOP lodge to get them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#30]

I think people are confusing the FOP stickers/etc with the PBA (LEO + family only) things.

FOP usually won't get you out of anything.  It's like saying you paid a bribe, but the guy writing you didn't see any of the bribe money. ;)

PBA means you or someone in your direct family that likes you (they only get X of these per year, not as many as they want) more than the others is LEO, not someone paying a bribe. ;)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Concerning the F.O.P. there are three "lodges" that will solicit you for donations.  The national lodge, the state lodge and the local lodge.  

The national as well as the  state lodges are soliciting for donations simply for their administration and political lobbying.

The local lodges solicit funds for their own administration (building upkeep, etc...) but they also do it for local charity programs (such as "Shop with a Cop, etc...) and other events that they run throughout the year.

When solicitied for a donation, ask whether it is being requested for the National, State or local lodge.  Out of the three, a donation to the local lodge is the only one that will benefit locally.

As for the stickers...they are given out to anyone and don't really mean much.  I give warnings to people because of their manners and attitude, not because they have a sticker.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I just put a light bar on my P.O.V.  

If they try to pull me over, I hit the lights and speed away.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:25:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just put a light bar on my P.O.V.  

If they try to pull me over, I hit the lights and speed away.

Then do you slam on the brakes, let them pass and then chase them?

I'll occasionally back them up on a call or traffic stop.  They're generally greatful when I explain that I'm from the INTERNET!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#35]
my dad had those on his suv lol.  my mom took it off thou
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top