Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 4:07:28 AM EDT
And I am not talking women or sheep as is the case with some of our members who cant get dates!

Do you guys have a gunsmith or do you mount your own glass?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Never thought about letting someone else do it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not hard to properly mount an optic.
If you don't have specialized tools (levelers, boresighters), it just takes a little longer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:10:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Mount my own.  I don't understand why someone would pay to have something so simple done.  I know one particular person doesn't even know how to do it.  For years he paid someone, then he tried it himself and broke the base on a 10/22, the secondtime I looked at what he did, and was able to wiggle the scope off.  It helps when the rings line up on the rail.  This guy calls him self a survivalists.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And I am not talking women or sheep as is the case with some of our members who cant get dates!

duuuhhhhh, We have an "OPTICS" forum don't ya know??

And IF your asking about mounting a scope to a rifle, most of us don't need a gunsmith for that.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:14:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I do it myself.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I honestly have a difficult time imagining letting someone else put a scope on for me. My attitude is that this should be one of the aptitude tests given to determine if someone should even be allowed to own a rifle. Can't put the scope on yourself? No weapon for you and oh, by the way...here's your sign...LOL
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess the reason I am asking is because I have always put my own glass on my guns.  But I have a TRG that I got for Christmas and some a Loopy MK4scope that I dont want to mess up.  I had no problems putting my Nikon on my 10/22.  But this is a little more intimidating.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:46:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mount my own glass. It isn't that hard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#10]
My own...  and if I am at the shop and someone needs it done, I do theirs too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't that what a hobbie  ( did I say hobbie?) is all about?

Being able to do your own workmanship and critiqueing  to satisfy

the sole!  he
jb
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I mounted a $1400 Nightforce to my AR-50 myself.

I got tips from people on how to perfectly align the crosshairs,
and how to lap the rings.  There are other tips/tricks to it,
especially when it comes to expensive glass.

Cheap glass (20mm air rifle scope on a crossman) just gets screwed down tight.

For the nightforce, I invested in a torque wrench, (inch pounds) and checked
it against a certified calibrated wrench, just to ensure everything was tight
enough, but not so tight as to void the warantee.  

For the best advice, look for it on biggerhammer.net

EDIT:  Nobody will be as careful mounting your expensive scope as you will be.
Just make sure you have the ability to do it right.
You can be really careful and do it wrong.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#13]
You can pay someone to mount your optics??

Granted, I have a bitch of a time getting the crosshairs level but I get it done well enough.

Besides, I figure having the crosshairs at a 45 degree angle to the ground is just built in wind AND bullet drop compensation all in one!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
when i bought my savage bolt action rifle, and scope,  and rings.  they installed and boresighted it for free!

when i bough the mount for my m1a and rings, and scope.  i mounted it myself.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

But when I worked at a gunshop, I did mounts for customers at no charge... If they bought the gun, scope and rings at the store.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You can pay someone to mount your optics??

Granted, I have a bitch of a time getting the crosshairs level but I get it done well enough.

Besides, I figure having the crosshairs at a 45 degree angle to the ground is just built in wind AND bullet drop compensation all in one!

I use the homeboy grip on my rifles so I have to pay extra to have my scopes rotated 90 degrees.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:23:49 AM EDT
[#17]
To date, I've mounted both of my scopes.  BUT, we're talking about mounting a scope to a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver with factory designed, built in mounts on a single piece frame and a 1.5 x 6 x 40 scope on an AR using a one piece A.R.M.S. mount and weaver mounts.  It doesn't take a master craftsman with specialized tools to do these kinds of mountings, just some care and common sense.
Things get much more complicated when one needs to drill the top of a receiver or barrel with two absolutely dead-on, perfectly aligned holes, tapped, and mounting mounts with differing elevations relative to the tube.  I'd never tackle that myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Canted 'smith mounted optics are why I learned to do my own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll have admit I've got 3 black rifles, .....................556,.308 & .50BMG and wouldn't trust myself to put a scope on them and around here can't find anyone who is interested in even selling me scopes.

Damn, a Nightforce on an AR50....I can't imagine getting that thing lined up properly and all that.  Impressive.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:49:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I'll have admit I've got 3 black rifles, .....................556,.308 & .50BMG and wouldn't trust myself to put a scope on them and around here can't find anyone who is interested in even selling me scopes.

Damn, a Nightforce on an AR50....I can't imagine getting that thing lined up properly and all that.  Impressive.

I only mentioned it because my money doesn't grow on trees, yet I trust my own abilities
enough to risk an expensive scope.  That scope/rifle combo cost more than the first
few cars I owned put together.  

I'm just a bit scared of someone who does it (sells/installs scopes)  for a living.
While they are more experienced, I'm afraid they will take a shortcut.
I see that behavior with mechanics, and contractors.  
A real gunsmith is hard to come by.  But the joker at a local gun store
might do more  harm than good.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm looking for a REAL gunsmith in the north ATL, Cumming area.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I guess the reason I am asking is because I have always put my own glass on my guns.  But I have a TRG that I got for Christmas and some a Loopy MK4scope that I dont want to mess up.  I had no problems putting my Nikon on my 10/22.  But this is a little more intimidating.

You can eyeball bearded clams all day with a straight face, but cant mount an expensive scope? ........

If you are putting the glass in good rings on good bases, you'll be fine. Cowboy-up!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Mount my own

I can do at least as good if not better than most guys around here and no 6-week turn time. Plus it lets me play with different mount scope combos.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top