Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 3:46:20 PM EDT
How many of you guys live where you live because that is where all your family is?

Today was the first day i told me realtives i was planning on moving to the deep south.  They all thought i was crazy and wrong for even thinking it since i would be leaving my parents and all my realitives and moving 1000 miles away.  No one in my whole extended family has ever just got up and moved half way accross the country.  So how many of you live where you do just because of family?  I got my mind made up.  I know i am going.  Damn grandparents and everyone else don't think CCW and full auto are worth moving for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
yup
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Right there is your problem.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Another yep.

But, I tried. The wife and I moved from NY to Florida, wifed missed her family and mine, so we moved back to NY. Looks like I'm a lifer.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope.  Been away since 1999.  (Ohio for four years, Alaska for one, OK for the past one and a half).

Mom is in PRK, Dad is in Konnektikut.  Go figure my parents live in 2 of the worst state's one could live in (for gun laws anyways).

No way I'll settle down in KA or KT.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:51:12 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll always feel bad leaving them but it will feel worse to put off your dreams and future to satisfy them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I do.  Live close to family and some of the best hunting, fishing, and skiing in the country.  Sometimes quality of life is worth more than a fatter paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Texas because of my family.

Not a one of them live there!!!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#9]
RuskEnt,

Move to where you will be happy.  Don't live your life for other people.  It doesn't mean you have to cut ties with them, but life is too short.  My parents still live in Canada and the rest of my siblings are either in the South or NYC.  I could see myself moving South.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in the midwest to stay near family.

If it weren't for them I'd probably try someplace different just for the heck of it. I'd probably go out west somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay in the North!  The South is full!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in Alaska, because I have no family and no Ex Wives here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I lived in NJ for almost my entire live but 2 yrs ago I have had enough of the draconian gun laws so I moved to a free state, PA

just realized you live in the same state I did so I know how you feel.  If firearms are a big part of your life as they are mine it was well worth the move.  The laws are so much more free where I am now at first it felt like I was breaking the law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I live where I do because I didn't look anywhere else.  I have a good job and a nice house and I live within 50 miles of both my parents and in-laws (best in-laws one could ask for I really like them).  I have told them both that When I finish my BA (night school) if I can find a job somewhere else I will go.  It didn't go over so well but my wife and I don't want to feel tied to a location and economic level because the parents want to stop in on a whim.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I live in the same state I grew up in.

However, my current place is being sold and I am heading south.  I plan to wind up where some other family members are, grandma and several aunts and uncles and other relatives.

Overall I have learned that you do what you want to do.  If you stay for family you can often wind up angry because of the choice you made to stay.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I live in Florida because my parents moved us down here when I was like 9. As I became more interested in Firearms and the reality of the laws surrounding my hobbyI decided to stay. Now I am trying to convince my wife to move back to Tallahassee, I hate S. Florida, too crowded
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You can tell that to the libs...  Another gunlover is always welcome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope!!!

I grew up in Minnesota and North Dakota and discovered that I despise the COLD and SNOW in the winter and the HUMIDITY and MOSQUITOES in the summer!!

Most of my family still lives up there.

I moved to AZ as soon as I could find a job here and I absolutely love it here!
I was 21 when I moved and I've been here for the last 30 years.

I'll never move back to that miserable fricking weather area again!!!

I love my family and always will - but why the hell they live in that God forsaken part of the country I'll never understand.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
My family and GF are there.

I want to move though.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Nope!!!

I grew up in Minnesota and North Dakota and discovered that I despise the COLD and SNOW in the winter and the HUMIDITY and MOSQUITOES in the summer!!

Most of my family still lives up there.

I moved to AZ as soon as I could find a job here and I absolutely love it here!
I was 21 when I moved and I've been here for the last 30 years.

I'll never move back to that miserable fricking weather area again!!!

I love my family and always will - but why the hell they live in that God forsaken part of the country I'll never understand.....

North Dakota rules!

Now you have to deal with various poisonous critters.
The worst we have are ticks, skeeters, black widows, rattle snakes.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes. However, the person in my family I was most attached to, my grandmother, passed away a week before Christmas, this leaves my kids, of which ofcourse, go with me wherever I go, my Mother, Father Uncle and few cousins, My Father, I don't really know too well, we're not close at all, my Uncle I can take or leave, my cousins I am not close with, my mother, we're "so so", she's in her 50s but acts like she is in her 90s, she won't lift a finger to see us or her grandkids, but she always expects us to drop what we're doing to go there, which I wouldn't mind if she would occasionally come over here where I have a MUCH LARGER home and room to move around. She, on the other hand,  lives in a mobile home and when we go over there with my kids and stuff, it's impossible to walk around in her place without tripping over someone. She likes to be a shut in, goes no where, does nothing, says she can't leave the mobile home as she lived there with my Grandmother and says she can't leave the place where my grandmother died, of which I don't understand and the notion seems like a weird excuse. She used to be very ourdoorsy and went everywhere. All the relatives I was close with are now dead.

I'm somewhat split up the middle about moving, leaning more to moving. I've always wanted to go to Montana where there are rivers galore to fish in, I love fishing. And tons of DEER! California deer hunting has lost it's luster to me, I invision many good times living in Montana. Clean air, good people, elbow room, ya know? As far as hard winters, hell, I live in the mountains now where it snows, I just figure MORE SNOW there, ok, I can deal with that. 4 weel drive, maybe a plow in the front and a lawn mower like snow blower for the drive way. Hey, tools! Would be nice to be able to get Mom to go with, but it's not necessary. Of course, I've got a military obligation here too, but it's a national guard / state military thing, so, it's not like I couldn't move and transfer there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#22]
When it became time to find a new path in life I joined the service and never looked back. After living in other parts of the States, I came to realize Ohio sucks and I never want to move back. Sure, I miss my family at times but I realized it as my time to move on.  Im happy to come home for a week or two once a year. I know alot of guys who get all wrapped around an axle about being away from their families. Me, I don't. We all have our own lives. I say if you want to move away and start a new life, go for it. Theres always phones and the internet to keep in touch with.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I live here;I was born here.My family is here,my kids are here. Its a good place to raise a family. Roots mean a lot to me. I have been many other places and there is no place like home.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Mostly.  If I were making the decision just for me, I would live in the Southwest.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Mom, Dad 3 miles away

Edit-punc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can tell that to the libs...  Another gunlover is always welcome.

They can move to  Virginia then!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I live in Indiana because it's where I want to live. It works out best for my career, my family and my Second Amendment rights. I chose to move here, and I choose to retire here and stay here.

On the downside, it's a pretty good distance from the rest of our families.

On the upside, it's a pretty good distance from the rest of our families.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, I live in NM because of relatives.....................  Because none of them live here.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't.  My family lives in southern CT which has the some of the highest real estate prices in the country.  Unfortunantly the high cost of living isn't compensated for at the unskilled laborer jobs I will have to work at until finishing school.  So I packed up, said my byes and headed to cincinnati where the pays the same, but the cost of living is a whole lot cheaper
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Make the move.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
yep bout 60 miles away from the folks
aside from no CCW and property taxes high enough to discourage me buying a house
Ne is Ehhh ok.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:30:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I live in my state because the rest of my relatives are dont.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:25:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, my Uncle Sam.

But, I'm getting ready to move when he ain't looking!

B_S
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes, and because I love it here.  If I for any reason needed to live far away from my family, I'd move to Houston.  Same state, not like anyone I know would go that far to bother me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:50:02 PM EDT
[#37]
The ONLY reason I live in Wisconsin is because this is where my wife's family lives.  We left New Hampshire in 1992 to come here and I still don't like it.  I really hope to get back to NH some day soon, but I will probably die in this damn state.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in the state of FLorida because it's the best state to live in ON MANY LEVELS that have nothing to do with guns.  

Oh, and most of my family lives here too, but that's besides the point.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I live in Louisiana because I was born/raised here and both the wife and I have good jobs here.  My family is here too, but I like it here.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#41]
No.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You'll always feel bad leaving them but it will feel worse to put off your dreams and future to satisfy them.

Very true.  I miss not having family close, but I haven't lived near family in over 20 years.  I'm in Tennessee and they're all in Virginia.  I grew up there, but there's not anything there for me except family.  They're not too thrilled about the possiblity that I may move to Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Well do you consider In laws family?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:20:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
How many of you guys live where you live because that is where all your family is?

Today was the first day i told me realtives i was planning on moving to the deep south.  They all thought i was crazy and wrong for even thinking it since i would be leaving my parents and all my realitives and moving 1000 miles away.  No one in my whole extended family has ever just got up and moved half way accross the country.  So how many of you live where you do just because of family?  I got my mind made up.  I know i am going.  Damn grandparents and everyone else don't think CCW and full auto are worth moving for.

I left Belleville for TX
My dad left Tinton Falls for FL
only my wife's family and my mom still live in NJ

I moved because of work mostly
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:37:42 AM EDT
[#46]
My current employer was the only one to make an offer when I graduated from college.
It just happens that I'm about halfway between my parents and the rest of our family (Southern MD and Philly, respectively), and located about ~5mi from an I95 exit.  

Somebody please make the family stop holding events totally unrelated to me at my place.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Yep mostly because of the wife.   If it was up to me, We'd pack up and move out of the politically shithole state Illinois is.   the wife says we have to much invested here, so I stay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top