Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:48:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 10:49:24 AM EDT by fight4yourrights]
Bought one today. For me, it's not worth the $4, not that the money is even the issue.

It's almost like a bad gun show - lot's of crap I don't care about, hard to find what I am looking for.......

In addition, you have no idea if stuff is in stock, I'm not an FFL so I can't order the guns easily anyway.....

Years ago, I would have loved spending hours dreaming about stuff in SGN, now, who's got the time?

Everything I'm interested in I can find faster and easier on the Web.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:50:28 AM EDT
When I can get it free, yup. I like to page through it when there is a copy around, otherwise, I don't bother with it.

It is strangely compelling, like looking through the auto trader or "Auto & RV" magazine. I don't know why I always pick them up, but its good info for keeping up with the market in "Stuff."
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:52:37 AM EDT
It is very cool when you first get into shooting and collecting, but once your tastes become refined and more specific, it does tend to turn into a gunshow on paper filled with the usual junk.

I flip through every now and then though, just like I go to the occasional gun show. You are right though, the Internet is far superior.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:57:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fight4yourrights:
Bought one today. For me, it's not worth the $4, not that the money is even the issue.

It's almost like a bad gun show - lot's of crap I don't care about, hard to find what I am looking for.......

In addition, you have no idea if stuff is in stock, I'm not an FFL so I can't order the guns easily anyway.....

Years ago, I would have loved spending hours dreaming about stuff in SGN, now, who's got the time?

Everything I'm interested in I can find faster and easier on the Web.

Take a look at "Gun List."

Fewer ads from CAI, SOG, etc. and more listings from people who actually have things for sale.

Also listed by manufacturer such as FN, HK, Springfield, etc.

Seen a few rare items at good prices from time to time.

I think you will like it a LOT more.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:14:27 AM EDT
Most of the time its the same ads, different date... But a good time too look thru.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:21:59 AM EDT
I can't wait to get mine in the mail. I get put some trunks on and climb in the hot tub and read away. I just upped my subscription to 3 years. You could say I like it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:39 AM EDT
SGN seems to get thinner all the time. I think it is getting passed up by Gun List.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:34:55 AM EDT
Must be a daily reading item. Front to back then back to front.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:35:49 AM EDT
I like SG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:37:04 AM EDT
SGN, before the days of the Internet, was the shit. You could find all kinds of stuff. But over the years, it's dwindled in content until it's now hardly worth the paper it's printed on. I get my gun stuff off of the Net. I don't need SGN anymore...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:45:13 AM EDT
It's okay on occasion. When my brother buys one I get it when he's finished.

<­BR>________________________________

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:49:15 AM EDT
I think it's changed alot from as little as 2~3 years ago. The adds used to actually offer things, and we would all be checking each issue to see who had killer deals on whatever. Now the adds are mostly generic company adds that are little more than catalog reference's. There's rarely even layout/format change in the adds themselve's.
Maybe its the times we're in, maybe its the internet, maybe its just the way the market is now, but SGN just doesn't seam as much "fun" as it "used" to be.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:56:40 AM EDT
Not worth the $4 bucks anymore.

Not just because of the internet ,but it just doesn't seem to have
as many different odd things ,and occasional good deals.

Once in a while some really old Jeep parts ,or half track parts from
Israel ,or 4 Deuces would come up for sale.

I'm not sure if it's just because the good deals on these things are all
gone ,or if the collectors have jacked up the prices when they show up
on SGN.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
i peek through it from time to time. i always check the cdnn ads. when i first started buyin guns, i bought it religeously.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:05:14 PM EDT
I buy one once every 2 or 3 months.
Top Top