Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:20 PM EDT
When I was a senior in high school, one of my good buddies smoked too much weed while being on anti-depressants and Accutane and decided to run away from home for a few days. He eventually (temporarily) regained his sanity and came home to his parents. Well, that only lasted a few days before he finally just didn't show up for school one day and left all of us (his close friends) small, perpetual motion knick-knack toys in our mail box.

We later found out he moved to Colorado (I'm not originally from here) to join some cult called something like The Brothers of Atlantis (I forget the exact name). I spoke to him briefly since (this was a few years ago), and he told me how they grow soy beans and whatnot but wouldn't tell me much else because the leader was "being chased by the government."

I think I saw some homeless guy who looked just like him in Boulder, but I was never sure if it was actually him or not.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Two days later, all burned up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep my uncle was in the moonies in the 70s.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
please define "cult",  because by my definition more than half the population belongs to one or another.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Sort of.  My sister lived in an ashram in the Berkshire mountians of western Massachusetts for most of her 20's.  Not really an exploitive cult but still kind of weird.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
N.M.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:10:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sort of.  My sister lived in an ashram in the Berkshire mountians of western Massachusetts for most of her 20's.  Not really an exploitive cult but still kind of weird.

What happens there?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

please define "cult",  because by my definition more than half the population belongs to one or another.

Denial of reality, delusional belief in a leader that can do no wrong, unwilling to consider opposing beliefs, demonization of those that disagree with them, etc.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Kinda, A kid in one of my Classes who was also a friend of a friend... Ended up shaving his head, selling all of his shit, and moving to Arizona or Nevada or some shit like that... Was already batshit crazy though... made his girlfriend get a passport so they could be ready to go to New Zealand when the impending Nuclear Holocaust happened.... I asked him how he was going to get there, and wtf he would need a passport if there was a Nuclear war
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

We later found out he moved to Colorado (I'm not originally from here) to join some cult called something like The Brothers of Atlantis (I forget the exact name). I spoke to him briefly since (this was a few years ago), and he told me how they grow soy beans and whatnot but wouldn't tell me much else because the leader was "being chased by the government."

Wow, did you see The Simpsons episode where the Simpsons and much of Springfield joins a cult?  It sounds liek your friend's cult.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, a friend of mine voted for Ron Paul.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens there?

Yoga, meditating, lectures, vegetarian living.  I think she was on the residential staff, and the place was like a spiritual resort/retreat for people who paid to stay there for a week or two. I think she was a cook or something. You volunteer to work and live there but you don't get paid.  In return you get to live around other spiritually-oriented people and not have to worry about having a real job, family, bills, etc.

Never really talked to her about it because I was never interested about it.  She's a nurse now and married, in her 40's.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, did you see The Simpsons episode where the Simpsons and much of Springfield joins a cult?  It sounds liek your friend's cult.

I'm sure it was more than just soybeans, but that is all that really stuck in my mind because that was during my bodybuilding days. I remember warning him soy is a phytoestrogen and would lower his testosterone levels.

I think that was what I was most concerned with.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I know lots of Christians. That aside does being a Subguns.com B.C.R. count?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:19 PM EDT
[#14]
In before someone says "I know lots of Christians."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I dabbled in Scientology for about 3 months some 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Denial of reality, delusional belief in a leader that can do no wrong, unwilling to consider opposing beliefs, demonization of those that disagree with them, etc.

Then sadly I must decline to comment as per the CoC.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I've always wondered how cults get started. How does somebody get a bunch of followers? Do you put an ad in the paper, "Cult leader seeks easily manipulated worshippers to obey his every whim, no fat chicks"?

'cause I could totally do the whole cult leader thing. You know, have a bunch of guys in camo with illegal machine guns guarding my compound in the woods, having sex with a bunch of hot chicks who feed me peeled grapes, spouting gibberish about the end of the world. I could totally do that shit. And then I'd change my name and run off to another state to live off the money all my followers gave me when it all starts to go south on me.

Preferably before the feds find a convenient excuse to burn my shack down while I'm inside.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#18]
does amway count. one of my old co workers joined some team of destiny crap thinking he was gonna get rich and ended up loosing his ass instead. the kinda shit that would come out of his mouth about how great it was you'd think he was in a cult
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Every religion/theistic discipline begins the same way - whether they become an organized religion or a cult is up for debate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

In before 'Obama voter'
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Amway count?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

In before 'Obama voter'

Obama Voters
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh...you mean Democrats.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:26:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Does ARFCOM count?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#25]
yes i did ,nikes and purple shroud club, tough on her family
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep and I call them Aggies.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
My brother only buys Colts, does that count?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Go take a look around the Glock forums.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:54:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dabbled in Scientology for about 3 months some 20 years ago.

Don't bullshit them Mr Cruise.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a majority of the worlds population in one form or another.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#31]
The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I almost did. Luckily I've read the bible cover to cover, so I bailed when it got too weird.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:04:33 PM EDT
[#33]
My mother's side of the family except for one uncle and aunt. They all voted for Obama.

My friend's mom also is in some kind of cult, they worship rocks or something... She also voted for Obama as well as her mother and father...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Amway count?

Yes.

And...me, too.  Weirdest couple of months in my life until I started questioning why they wanted me to keep tossing my money into "tools" and attending conventions.

Ed
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is why "one man's cult is another man's religion"

You can use your definition to make any religion a cult.   Then its ok to persecute members of that religion.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've always wondered how cults get started. How does somebody get a bunch of followers? Do you put an ad in the paper, "Cult leader seeks easily manipulated worshippers to obey his every whim, no fat chicks"?

'cause I could totally do the whole cult leader thing. You know, have a bunch of guys in camo with illegal machine guns guarding my compound in the woods, having sex with a bunch of hot chicks who feed me peeled grapes, spouting gibberish about the end of the world. I could totally do that shit. And then I'd change my name and run off to another state to live off the money all my followers gave me when it all starts to go south on me.

Preferably before the feds find a convenient excuse to burn my shack down while I'm inside.

There are books online on how to start a cult. They teach you persuasion techniques and other stuff. It will really help you understand Obama's campaign.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#37]

A cult is simply defined as what the BIG congregation calls the little congregation.

....that being said, I bought an iPhone last month, does that count?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...  The night time is the right time...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Hell, I met the largest commune organizer in the U.S. here in Tally. I met him through his son who happens to be a very conservative guy. His father is a die hard big time Anarcho-Bolo.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I know when some AA members talk about AA it seems an awful lot like a cult.  Sure they are off the sauce finally, but damn.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Hell, I met the largest commune organizer in the U.S. here in Tally. I met him through his son who happens to be a very conservative guy. His father is a die hard big time Anarcho-Bolo.

WTF is an Anarcho-Bolo?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I know when some AA members talk about AA it seems an awful lot like a cult.  Sure they are off the sauce finally, but damn.

AA could be considered cultish.  You substitute all beliefs and end up relying on AA.  You substitute a coping mechanism, albeit identifing your problem.  AA was heavily religious until our atavistic culture banished God from the 12 step program.  It is, and always has been non-denominational, but always HAD Christian elements.  Now the biggest part God takes in AA, is that the meetings sometimes are in church basements.  

AA was founded by a follower of Swedenborg.  Not sure if that particular religion is a cult or not, but it seems all normal on the surface, then they start into the esoteric stuff like breathing through your scrotum.  Lots of angels and demon shit too.  Everything that happens to you has religious/esoteric meaning, down to getting a hole in your socks.  Everything gets pondered ad nauseum to identify the spiritual meaning.  Not a religion for people who don't care for volumnous reading.

One can only speculate if Narcanon was a result of realizing the quasi-religious and cult-connected origins of AA.

Then on the other hand, half of America still considers Catholicism a cult.  I just can't see it that way until the Pope tells me so.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:43:01 PM EDT
[#43]
I know someone that spent 20+ years in Scientologies Sea Org.  SHe told me all about it oncew...pretty crazy shit.  Shes normal now but she said it took a while to adjust.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh...you mean Democrats.

+1 Yes!

That was funny
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Glock forum's that way====>
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I know a guy that tried to start one.  Hasn't been too successful so far.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"When they say the sun sucks, go, yeah, fuck the sun, I fuckin hate it too, long live the fuckin beast."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
My cousin was a Moonie. He married a Japanese chick in one of those mass weddings they used to have. She didn't even speak English. He's still married to the girl, but no longer a Moonie.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#49]
I did join Team.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#50]
My friend had a girlfriend once where he might as well have been in a cult
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top