Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:10 AM EDT
one of my work trucks was involved in a  3 car accident yesterday. We were in the front so its not our fault. Supposedly the guy in the middle got rear ended and got pushed into ours.

The bad thing is the hispanic guy in vehicle #3 does not have insurance. So vehicle #2 is screwed. This is the 2nd time a hispanic person has been involved in accident with one of our vehicles.no insurance last time also.

The cops just gave the guy a ticket. IMHO  they  shoud haul his ass to jail.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#1]
In  some states, insurance isn't mandatory, if you can establish some "other suitable assurance" of being able to pay for any liabilities arising out of an accident. For example, here in Texas:

Sec. 601.123.  Deposit of Cash or Cashier's Check With County Judge.

(a) A person may establish financial responsibility by making a
deposit with the county judge of the county in which the motor
vehicle is registered.

(b) The deposit must be made in cash or a cashier's check in
the amount of at least $55,000.

Unfortunately, that 55 grand earns you exactly zero interest while the County Judge is sitting on it. Also, it's YOUR money (not that of an insurance company) to lose in an accident.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the people in New Hampshire
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
one of my work trucks was involved in a  3 car accident yesterday. We were in the front so its not our fault. Supposedly the guy in the middle got rear ended and got pushed into ours.

The bad thing is the hispanic guy in vehicle #3 does not have insurance. So vehicle #2 is screwed. This is the 2nd time a hispanic person has been involved in accident with one of our vehicles.no insurance last time also.

The cops just gave the guy a ticket. IMHO  they  shoud haul his ass to jail.

Haul him to jail on what is basically a money issue???was he drunk...did he intentionally try to hurt someone...if not its just a financial issue...I don't support debtor prison like policies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Vehicle #1 is screwed too, as Vehicle #2 will not be held responsible - Vehicle #3 will be responsible for all damage.

This is why unisured motorists insurance is a necessity in Texas - I do not know if it is a cultural thing or what, but the odds of a hispanic having insurance are pretty low.

As to your question "Do you know anyone that drives without insurance?" No, but almost every body I now does not carry enough insurance.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
In my county 20 percent of all drivers do so without insurance.  This makes insurance much more expensive for those of us who can be troubled to buy it.  Most of the scofflaws are black here, not hispanic.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my old buddies back in VA drives his cars with no state tags, county sticker, state inspection, and insurance.

He also runs an illegal tree cutting business, no business liscense nor liability insurance.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats why we have no fault in Michigan. Its a pain in the ass when you are not at fault but it does help in this specific situation.  Your car will get fixed and your insurance will not be affected.

I agree on the no insurance thing but its impossible to really enforce.  You would end up with 500 people in jail a night for no insurance in a decent sized town.  It would overburden the system.

What they should do is tow the vehicle.  Its money for the wrecker people and money for the state when they get their car out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:26:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

As to your question "Do you know anyone that drives without insurance?" No, but almost every body I now does not carry enough insurance.

True that!

Travis
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#11]
our truck sustained no damage other than a scrathched bumper. hitting the bumper is like hitting a brick wall.

you are right,they should tow and impound and sell the cars and take the proceeds to compensate persons affected by uninsured persons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
our truck sustained no damage other than a scrathched bumper. hitting the bumper is like hitting a brick wall.

you are right,they should tow and impound and sell the cars and take the proceeds to compensate persons affected by uninsured persons.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you know anyone that drives without insurance?  

Yeah, everyone who has ever hit me in traffic...and I get to meet a new one every time I get hit in traffic...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your car will get fixed and your insurance will not be affected.

Any claim with your insurance will effect your rates, no matter whos fault it was.

They have a record of any claim or accident for drivers and/or their cars.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your car will get fixed and your insurance will not be affected.

Any claim with your insurance will effect your rates, no matter whos fault it was.

They have a record of any claim or accident for drivers and/or their cars.

Yes but your premiums will not go up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:49:40 AM EDT
[#16]
In the downtown/Pico Union Area of Los Angeles 87% of drivers are Mexican and uninsured. On a Friday or Saturday night the drunks outnumber the rest of us. No kidding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top