Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 10:37:58 PM EDT
I'm making chicken and rice for dinner tomorrow night but I don't want to just have plain white rice.  I want to make rice with a little more flavor.  I'm making teriyaki chicken (just incase that would make a difference on the rice....)

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
adding chicken soup instead of water always makes it a little more interesting
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a tough one.  White rice traditionally accompanies Japanese food.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]
teriyaki sauce can be home made for the chicken. Cook the chicken in the sauce [recipe to follow], and then pour sauce over the cooked rice [on a platter]. Put the chicken in the center of the rice and serve. Garnish with parsley.
MMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teriyaki Sauce {chicken or meat can be marinated overnight if you wish in the sauce and then cooked in it too]
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups water
5 cloves fresh garlic sliced or crushed
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 TBLSPN onion powder[no salt]
2 TBLSPNS corn starch.

Mix well. Pour over meat or chicken and cook as you wish.
If a small bird is used, you may want to pour over as much as you think necessary. It makes quite a batch!
It can also be boiled in a pan seperately until thickened. Makes wonderful sauce on everything!
I use it to soak steaks in and then grill them.
Have fun....SHHHH it is my secret recipe!!!!!!!!

PS- You can soak vegies and shiskabob in this too! I use it on pork, meat, chicken,and deer. MAKES GREAT beef jerky!! Hold the cornstarch if using it for only a marinade!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
You can always make a stir fried rice too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm going to stick with the teriyaki sauce this time around and just put it over the rice.  I bought the teriyaki marinade in the bottle because I didn't have any good recipes for it...but, I think I will have to try the recipe you left Joyce...It sounds great.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
^
l
l
l
l
l
l

your avatar works, lady

WOOHOO

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
^
l
l
l
l
l
l

your avatar works, lady

WOOHOO

I know.    I didn't even notice that the membership went through until afplayboy pointed it out.  The first think I changed was my avatar.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#8]
My mom passed this down to me.  We love it...It takes about 2 minutes to prepare and it's soooo good.

Chicken and Rice

Take a 9x13 glass dish and put a can of chicken broth in the bottom.  Dump a cup of rice (or whatever amount of rice is equivalent to 1 C broth) in with the broth.  Spread it out.  Place 3-5 frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts on top of the rice.  Season the chicken however you like, and make sure the seasonings are on the rice, too.  Cover with foil and bake in the oven on 375 for about an hour.  

*You can add more rice, just make sure you adjust the liquid content to match it.  

This may not sound like much, but it's yummy!

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My fried rice:
4 cups or so cold, cooked rice
2 eggs, beaten
green onions or regular onions to taste
1 t. minced garlic
parsely to taste
white pepper (guess what -- to taste)
optional: mushrooms, veggies, cooked pork, cooked chicken-- any leftovers...)

I have a cast iron wok that I heat to medium-high, but I'm sure this would work in a hot skillet -- add a small amount of oil and scramble the eggs, then remove from pan.  Add about 1 T. oil and onion and garlic, then add 4 cups rice.  Add green onion, garlic and other stuff.  Keep moving untill heated through.  Add egg and seasonings, stir fry till all is heated and serve.  The trick is to keep the pan or wok hot and keep the food moving so it doesn't burn.  Not something you can walk away from and leave cooking on the stove.

I compiled this recipe from both a cookbook and a friend from Taiwan so it's not real exact.  Fried rice is really pretty forgiving and flexible.... add shrimp, chicken, beef, or pork and make a meal.   It may take a couple of tries, but you'll get the hang of it.  If you want a lot of raw veggies, cook them in a little oil after the egg and before the rice, then go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top