Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 6:53:11 AM EDT
(the thread about goodwill stores got me thinking about this)

I have a teenage daughter, who, being a teen likes to have trendy nice clothes.
She doesn't ask for much but in Lexington KY there is a store that buys in-style
fashionable clothes that people want to get rid of for whatever reason.
We have been there a couple of times recently..you can get trendy blue jeans for teens for like 8-12 bucks, shirts for like 5 or more...etc.

Its not just for teens but for adults and they only BUY the brand names like Tommy,
Nautica, A&F, etc...so its good stuff. They are careful to look it over close and then
they buy it outright...not a consignment store. I have bought nice Tommy Polo shirts
for $7 that cost 50 in retail stores.

This place seems to buy tons of stuff but is very picky and seems to always be crowded
when I go in there.

Do you have something like this where you live and do you frequent it???
What are the deals you get there?

Seems like a good business but the one somebody started in our little town went under.

Essayons
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:56:37 AM EDT

Yes, but it's going out of business at the end of the month. Funny thing is, it's actually a hardware store.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:00:41 AM EDT
I believe that there is a national chain caled 'Second Act' or something similar that sells 2nd hand fashionable clothes. You can trade in your good stuff and get other good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:01:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 7:02:50 AM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
nope but we have plenty of stores like: ROSS, MARSHALL'S that sell brand new name brands at close out prices

I also find a lot of nice clothing by famous designers at MACY's at closeout prices especially during year end close out or out of season sales, I bought a $100 wool Italian sweater on clearance for $16.00

I prefer to buy brand new clothing on sale, I wouldnt buy second hand clothing
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:02:10 AM EDT
Yep.

I'm good friends with the ladies who run it.

The family business we started recently operates on a similar theory - a discount/thrift store, basically.

We make money, folks get good stuff cheap.

So far, so good.

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:03:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CbtEngr1:

She doesn't ask for much but in Lexington KY there is a store that buys in-style
We have been there a couple of times recently..you can get trendy blue jeans for teens for like 8-12 bucks, shirts for like 5 or more...etc.

Its not just for teens but for adults and they only BUY the brand names like Tommy,
Nautica, A&F, etc...so its good stuff. They are careful to look it over close and then
they buy it outright...not a consignment store. I have bought nice Tommy Polo shirts

This place seems to buy tons of stuff but is very picky and seems to always be crowded
when I go in there.

Seems like a good business but the one somebody started in our little town went under.

Essayons

Yep, there is a store here called Planet Echange. I found a new Armani polo shirt for $17 and like-new Versace polo shirt for $18.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:05:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Yep.

I'm good friends with the ladies who run it.

The family business we started recently operates on a similar theory - a discount/thrift store, basically.

We make money, folks get good stuff cheap.

So far, so good.

Is the store near Nashville? I'm always on the lookout for good, cheap clothes.
I'm not too proud to wear seconds, after it's been washed, of course.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:05:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeetleBailey:
Yes, but it's going out of business at the end of the month. Funny thing is, it's actually a hardware store.

Funny, my favorite local gun shop is in the back of a hardware store.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:07:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 7:09:47 AM EDT by BaNo]
We have a few of those trendy ones, then regular T(thrift)Stores like Savers.
I actually buy most of my shirts there. (I dont buy used socks or underwear thats gross, and I exclusively wear Eddie Bauer jeans because they dont wear out like Levis)
Sometimes you can find bdu's and field jackets there, but I suspect the local surplus store hits them up and buys all bdu's once a week, because they never last long.
I got a old style usgi poncho last summer, not those crappy new nylon ones, the real deal rubberised material.

ETA: shirts and bdu's come from Savers not the trendy place.
Also bought 2 8bit nes consoles for ~$4 one was just the console and 4 games, the other was the complete console/cables/controller in the original box.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By xxTAPxx:

when I go in there.

Essayons

Yep, there is a store here called Planet Echange. I found a new Armani polo shirt for $17 and like-new Versace polo shirt for $18.

hey I have seen the Planet exchange when visiting family in Brentwood. Didn't get to stop but wondered if it was a good place to buy.

Essayons
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:48 AM EDT
Yeah, we've got one here in Richmond too, although I can't remember the name right now. I'll look next time I get a haircut, it's in the same shopping center as my barber.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:10:53 AM EDT

Nautica, A&F, etc...so its good stuff.

I don't spend money on clothes to advertise for the manufacturer... All those brands suck ass, becuase you are a walking billboard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:55:21 AM EDT

when I go in there.

Essayons

In Glenview IL there is a store that has a lot of high-end stuff and they do consignment-Tommy, Gucci, et al.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:59:12 AM EDT

when I go in there.

Essayons

Are you talking about Platos?

I always find Value City to be great on finding cheap clothes. I bought a name brand pair of suit pants for 1.00, brand new
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:35:42 AM EDT
Nah, but I hit Marshalls for clothes (seconds or out of seasons, in the office it doesnt matter if your dress shirt was last season's cut or not).

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:28:54 AM EDT
mantis,
Yes its PLATO's closet...neat place.

I thoroughly disagree that the name brands are not better.

I used to think that, buy cheap socks, t-shirts, etc.

Then I received a couple of Tommy shirts for Christmas one year..
and at least in that brand there is a difference. Of course like any
manufacturer, you have to watch what you buy within a brand. The Hilfiger
stuff I really prefer over all others..the socks especially. there is a difference. My wife
even steals my socks because they are more comfortable (padded and softer).
Whether its worth it to you or not is not for me to say. They are softer, better
padded, etc. The shirts I have bought (very very very few at retail) have all
been extremely well made and more comfortable than the cheaper stuff I bought
at JC Penneys or sears. Same for slacks and shorts..they feel better..because they
are better made.

I have a few other brands of stuff but when its cheaper than buying at walmart (of course its used and cheaper) and more comfortable..I have no problem wearing it.

If you don't like advertising for others in clothes, I would be curious if you have the dealer
advertising removed from your car when you buy it. I do, ruins part of the looks of the car so
I make em remove them unless they want to give me advertising money. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:40:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 9:46:41 AM EDT by Mantis_51]

mantis,
Yes its PLATO's closet...neat place.

I thoroughly disagree that the name brands are not better.

I used to think that, buy cheap socks, t-shirts, etc.

Then I received a couple of Tommy shirts for Christmas one year..
and at least in that brand there is a difference. Of course like any
manufacturer, you have to watch what you buy within a brand. The Hilfiger
stuff I really prefer over all others..the socks especially. there is a difference. My wife
even steals my socks because they are more comfortable (padded and softer).
Whether its worth it to you or not is not for me to say. They are softer, better
padded, etc. The shirts I have bought (very very very few at retail) have all
been extremely well made and more comfortable than the cheaper stuff I bought
at JC Penneys or sears. Same for slacks and shorts..they feel better..because they
are better made.

I have a few other brands of stuff but when its cheaper than buying at walmart (of course its used and cheaper) and more comfortable..I have no problem wearing it.

If you don't like advertising for others in clothes, I would be curious if you have the dealer
advertising removed from your car when you buy it. I do, ruins part of the looks of the car so
I make em remove them unless they want to give me advertising money. Just a thought.

When I said cheaper I really meant inexpensive, I like name brand clothing. I wasn't implying that cheaper is better quality in non-name-brands than in name brands, but I meant that cheaper as in how much you pay for it is always great, when it is the same item that you can get at more expensive stores.

Ever been to a Value City? I have got Rebok (sp?), Nike, Adids, and many more name brands there, it is a great place to get "inexpensive" clothing. You can get just about anything there, my wife is expecting and we have looked in the baby clothing section and I have seen stuff there for 5 bucks that you can get at Ellder Bearman(sp?) Macys, Lazuras for like 30 and it is the identical stuff. You will have to check it out sometime.

I have seen the Platos ads on tv and have been by a couple of them, including the one in Lexington, didn't go in, I had tickets for a Legends game and had to go, but there is a few Value City stores around where I live, close to the KY, OH, WV tri-state area that stock some of the best name brands.

ETA: I didn't know if you were addressing the second part of your post to me or theliberating1
I just had to clear up what I was really talking about.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:02:50 AM EDT
no mantis, not you, I was addressing others who said wearing namebrands was advertising.
Don't think I have ever seen a value city..
they have TJ MAXX in lexington which is liquidators for a lot of the department store stuff. Have gotten a few things there but usually they have outdated or odds ones or twos of some things....like colors no man would wear. Women usually do ok there but I have never been impressed with the mens section.

Essayons
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:25:29 AM EDT
That's cool.

I just checked Value City's website and they only have 4 locations

Ashland, KY
Covington, KY
Louisville, KY

Been to Marshalls at Hamburge Place, wasn't too impressed, I have seen TJ Maxx, but have never been.

I think in Lexington they have a Value City Furinture, next to Toys R Us and Best Buy, but that is just for furinture, no clothes.
Top Top