Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2015 9:31:32 PM EST
A few days ago at work someone postulated that a person's love or hate for a given vehicle manufacturer lies solely with their first experience with that manufacturer and all other experiences are ignored.

For instance, my first ride was a worn out, beat up ford van that had seen use as a service/delivery vehicle for my dad's business. It was a colossal piece of fuck and was about as reliable as a Taurus revolver, only trying to kill me twice in the year or so that I had it (blown brake lines and disintegrating wheel bearings) and managing to leave me stranded many more.

To this day I fucking despise ford and you couldn't pay me to own one of their piece of shit vehicles.

My next vehicle was a chevy pickup which gave me very few issues. To this day I've been a loyal GM owner and although all of my GM vehicles have given me few problems I did have a Colorado as a company vehicle one time and that thing was a steaming heap of shit. Even still, I have no issue with GM products.

To prove or disprove this theory, I pose the following question:

Was your hate for your least favorite manufacturer learned early on or was it slowly grown over time? What about your favorite maker?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:35:36 PM EST
GM and Dodge everyone else could stop making vehicles
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:36:02 PM EST
Government Motors.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:38:03 PM EST
Love Nissan and Toyota, hate Dodge/Chrysler/Heep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:17 PM EST
Dodge. Toyota can suck swinging nuts
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:39:26 PM EST
I prefer GM vehicles as my dad is a retired GM millwright and I have had very good luck with GM trucks / SUV's

I really dislike Ford as I have owned 2 Ford trucks in my youth that were not very good trucks ( 1967 Ford and a 1975 Ford )

Just my preference ... no science or smoke and mirrors behind it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:42:12 PM EST
No favorite.
Least favorite? Volvo.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:43:44 PM EST

my favorite is GM

least favorite is Dodge
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:47:56 PM EST
for me i would say hyundai. the name it self just seems like a Chinese knock off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:51:07 PM EST
Love Honda
Hate, Mercedes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:52:46 PM EST
Least favorite is Dodge/Chysler/Jeep by far. GM gets an honorable mention.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:16 PM EST
I have been driving Jeeps for 30 years, so I guess Chrysler is my favorite, but I acknowledge they suck a little.

I absolutely cannot stand working on anything designed in Germany. I will not sell my daughter's VW when it is time for her to get a new car. I will introduce it to my 11-87.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:53:18 PM EST
BMW good... Chrysler sucks...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:54:03 PM EST
Had a 1994 Camry that ran forever so,.,,

Like: Toyota
Dislike: Ford

I currently drive a Subaru so time will tell.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:55:14 PM EST
Favorite: Nash

Least favorite: BMW
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:58:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 10:00:40 PM EST by DK-Prof]
GM, Ford, Dodge. Fuck all foreign brands <CoC edit>
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:59:39 PM EST
Like: GM, Toyota, Ford

Dislike: Fiat, any dodge that doesn't have a Cummins.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:08:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 10:11:06 PM EST by wintermute]
Toyota.
Owned 3 over the years, including my first truck and current vehicle.

Chrysler/Jeep. Wife had a Jeep Cherokee and piddly shit was always wrong with it: heater fan, power window motors, side mirrors falling off. Years later she had a Liberty with the same mess- door latches falling out inside the door panel, power windows falling down. They ran fine they just always had something to fix for an hour every weekend.

ETA I like Mazda too. Had 2 at the same time for a few years and never had to touch them. Change the oil, keep tires on 'em, gtg.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:09:45 PM EST
I HATE Chrysler, the way they turn, the way they shift, total junk.

all of my vehicles have been GM, I love W bodys and have had a few N bodys and can repair most issues with my eyes closed but I will never own a gm post bailout.

my next vehicle will probably be a honda or toyota.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:10:20 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sel366:
Government Motors.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:10:54 PM EST
Tie between honda, toyota and subaru for love.

Hate fiat/chrysler/dodge or whatever that abortion of a company is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:11:28 PM EST
I like Dodge and just bought a new Ram and it's my third Dodge(PU,Challenger and now my new PU).Before Dodge it was Fords(Bronco and two PU's) and a GM (Old's Ciera )and a 1984 Nissan PU and never had a major problem with any of them.

Had a Huyndai and while I had no problems with it also it just felt like a POS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:11:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By katrina24:
GM and Dodge everyone else cshould stop making vehicles
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:13:19 PM EST
I dont really have a favorite. Most hated is Dodge/Mopar/Chrysler. Whatever you call it they still make shit vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:13:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 10:15:08 PM EST by 101VooDoo]
Toyota

Volkswagen

I buy cars to drive, not to work on.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:14:54 PM EST
Like Toyota, Nissan

Fuck VW with a rusty crescent wrench.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:18:59 PM EST
Favorites are anything American badged.
Most hated are Korean.
Good but something I'll never purchase are Jap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:19:34 PM EST
Favorite would be bmw.

Least would be Chevy. Had one mediocre and one crummy experience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:20:23 PM EST
After 15 years as a journeymen body man I will take Toyota everyday of the week, but I grew up with all GM and would be my 1st choice in the American arena.
Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep product, They have some of the best looking vehicles but my God what turds.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:23:58 PM EST
I don't really hate any brand. I have never cared for GM and Dodge/Chrysler vehicles. Always seemed kinda cheap and unimaginative to me. I have owned several brands, I would say out of all of them VW was my overall favorite so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:42:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By DetrhoytMAK:
View Quote

Dodge is owned by Fiat=Foreign brand +the heavy duty trucks are made in mexico.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:44:03 PM EST
Have owned Ford, Chevy, and Toyota's all were great vehicles. I'm not a Chrysler fan.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:47:54 PM EST
I don't particularly have a favorite. I think all manufacturers make some really cool stuff from time to time, and there are certain segments where the competition is so tight that every car in that market is essentially the same, bringing the "best" car for someone down to something as simple as color, seats and cluster layout. Any day of the week I could find a car that I would love to own by any major manufacturer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:49:04 PM EST
Despise government motors, love Toyota. Had two dirty filthy Chevy's, one decent Pontiac, many good Toyos.

Oddly, the Tundra I own is made in Texas (yee hah)!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:51:32 PM EST
I kike Ford Trucks and Toyota Cars. Can't stand Dodge. Had two. Never again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:53:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By KTMRIDER:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KTMRIDER:
Originally Posted By DetrhoytMAK:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:55:48 PM EST
My first car was a shitbox Fiat Cinquecento, second was a 94 civic fo-do. Third was an Audi TT quattro, then another civic, then a datsun. Been driving Honda cars since.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:58:29 PM EST
Love: Toyota, Nissan

Hate: Post 1988 Chrysler Corp., Chevy
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:00:27 PM EST
I have lots of favorites, and one primary least favorite (chrysler).
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/19/2015 11:04:46 PM EST by Gas__Operated]
I grew up in a 1997 Volvo 850 wagon. We never had problems and my parents drive it to this day, past 200k I think now. I say Volvo is my favorite.

Least favorite.... Government motors probably, just never had enough personal experience with GM vehicles to make a solid opinion.

ETA- I learned to drive in a chevy cobalt. Junk.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:03:50 PM EST
My favorite is/was Pontiac.

Favorite current production would be Dodge.

I grew to hate several brands during my time as an independent repair tech. I'd have a hard time picking just one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:07:18 PM EST

like ford, dodge, and Nissan, will\ never again Honda Volkswagen, and Mitsubishi, still on the fence with KIA
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:08:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Gas__Operated:
I grew up in a 1997 Volvo 850 wagon. We never had problems and my parents drive it to this day, past 200k I think now. I say Volvo is my favorite.

Least favorite.... Government motors probably, just never had enough personal experience with GM vehicles to make a solid opinion.

ETA- I learned to drive in a chevy cobalt. Junk.
View Quote

A true throw away car if there was ever one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:10:14 PM EST
I guess I don't really look at it in those terms.

In my early driving years, I spend plenty of time fighting with an old Ford pickup trying to get it to start. Sometimes I won, and sometimes, I found myself laying across the bench waiting for a tow truck. But I acknowledge that it was an old and well abused truck, and some of the problems were due to design flaws Ford corrected in the following generation(s).

My perception changes with sample sizes. I've been around a few GM vehicles that ran with remarkable reliability, and I've been around others that must have left the factory with leprosy. With their truck market stuff in particular, I've found that the engines are very hard to kill, the transmissions do okay if you keep them cool, but every electrical thing related to the interior will fail. Repeatedly.

The manufacturer I have the least respect for is Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. I don't think I've ever seen a good vehicle they've built. And I say this as a guy that owned what is supposed to be one of the best products they've ever built, the XJ with the 4.0L I6. That was the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

At the other end of the spectrum is Honda. My '09 Civic has been flawless for 5 years now. Everyone I've known personally who has had Hondas got good service from them. I have close friends that bought a severely abused 1990s Accord that was wrecked and spray painted by a previous owner. They've been driving it hard for almost 4 years now, just adding oil and fuel. The only repair was a CV joint. And while I have a lot of trust and respect for Hondas, I have a hard time really loving them. My Civic can be fun to toss around I guess, but driving it isn't always a smile inspiring experience.

And that leads me to Mazda. I've driven two. One was a rental base model 3, the other is my 20 year old Miata. I expected my Miata to be fun, and it is. It's easily the most fun I've had on public roads. I didn't expect the 3 to be anything special. It had many qualities I didn't like, but driving it was the most fun I've had in a FWD car.

I also have had very favorable experiences with Subaru. Unless I need a truck, Honda, Mazda, and Subaru will probably be my go-to brands.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:12:47 PM EST
Chrysler products are some of the wort vehicles on the road. Ask any mechanic or autobody repairman and they will tell you the same.
Also followed by Volkswagen (Hitlers Revenge) and Mercedes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:13:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:
I don't particularly have a favorite. I think all manufacturers make some really cool stuff from time to time, and there are certain segments where the competition is so tight that every car in that market is essentially the same, bringing the "best" car for someone down to something as simple as color, seats and cluster layout. Any day of the week I could find a car that I would love to own by any major manufacturer.
View Quote

There some truth here, but there are a few I'd be hesitant to trust.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:20:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
Originally Posted By DarkCharisma:

Trust and enjoy are two different things. Folks who view cars as appliances wouldn't share my thoughts on this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:25:50 PM EST

I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years, but somehow I've never owned a Ford. I dunno why, I don't hate them or anything.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:27:46 PM EST
Fav: Toyota
Least Fav: Dodge
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:29:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By PNWRN:

I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years, but somehow I've never owned a Ford. I dunno why, I don't hate them or anything.

View Quote

I have, I never had any major mechanical issues but the interior literally fell apart in one of them. A mid 90's Explorer was perhaps one of the most underpowered vehicles I have ever driven. It would barely make it up a mountain. I liked the Ford trucks and Broncos I owned though.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top