Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/1/2007 2:05:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:07:29 PM EST by Paveway_]
Inspired out of pure hate from the other thread.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:06:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:12:02 PM EST by Primos]
No.

eta: But they need to make up their minds.
Are they going to be pedestrians, or vehicles?
I hate that they demand the road, yet they ignore traffic rules, lights, use the crosswalk, etc.

Make up your minds. You can't be both.

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:07:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:07:34 PM EST by Melvinator2k0]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:07:26 PM EST
no. But it pisses me off when they expect you to yield to them when they won't even obey traffic laws.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:08:07 PM EST
I hate cyclists that:

-Insist on riding 3-4 abreast on busy public roads
-Ride in the middle of the lane
-Ignore stop signs and traffic signals

If they ride in a reasonable manner, and follow all the traffic laws (as opposed to just the ones they like), then I have no problem with them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:08:10 PM EST
I pay taxes to have bike trails all over the place - get off the fucking road.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:10:23 PM EST
I have been strictly using bicycle transportation for 3 years now. Get off my fuckin roads you assholes!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:10:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By Xyster7212:
I hate cyclists that:

+1 and that describes 99% of them around here.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:10:52 PM EST
Hey if they are able to maintain the posted speed limits without holding up traffic then I have no problem with them. Same goes for joggers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:12:22 PM EST
I saw a guy get hit on a bicycle last night in fact. Pretty funny stuff. He was riding on the sidewalk and rode out in front of a car leaving an apartment complex. His bike went under the car and he went up on the hood, then jumped off and started yelling and hitting the car, and the driver just drove off.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:12:41 PM EST

I hate cyclists that:

If they ride in a reasonable manner, and follow all the traffic laws (as opposed to just the ones they like), then I have no problem with them.

+1

Fair enuff...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:13:30 PM EST
There's a lot of people who hate those of us who exercise our 2nd amendment rights.
There's a lot of people who hate those of us who exercise our right to ride on the road.

I'm amazed to find so many of the latter on a site that supports the former.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:14:00 PM EST
They're quick to bitch and/or try to keep you from passing if it's a no passing zone, then they sail right through stop signs and turn without signaling.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:15:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:15:13 PM EST by Paveway_]

Originally Posted By valheru21:
There's a lot of people who hate those of us who exercise our 2nd amendment rights.
There's a lot of people who hate those of us who exercise our right to ride on the road.

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:15:31 PM EST
Wow! This is a first for me, having a thread inspire another thread.

I'm so proud.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:15:52 PM EST
Don't go 2 mph in front of me when on a busy road when I'm trying to get somewhere.

Car > bike.

I win.

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:16:38 PM EST
I have observed that riders of recumbent bicycles in the Greater Kansas City area are immune to traffic control devices. I see more recumbents blowing stop signs and traffic lights than anything. In fact, I can not recall the last time I saw a recumbent stop for a stop sign around here.

That said, I do not "hate" them or wish them any misfortune. I just wish they'd follow the same rules as the rest of us that use the road.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:17:00 PM EST
Yes and I am one. I hate the obviously liberal riders that think they can ignore the law.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:17:09 PM EST
This morning I saw one blow through a red light crossing 4 lanes of traffic without looking. Damn near caused a pile up because of it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:17:33 PM EST

I'm a cyclist and avoid busy roads at all costs and use bike trails

....And i despise elitist roadies with their flaming little color-coordinating outfits and better-than-you attitudes - F you guys

you should see the aggressive bike messengers downtown!

they are the asshats who give us bikers a bad name

[and for the record, i'm a mountainbiker]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:18:05 PM EST

Originally Posted By Paveway_:

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

Irrationality is generally rather simple. I often ride to work. I often have to deal with drivers who are less than courteous. I do not ride in the middle of the road, I ride on the bike path where able and I obey traffic regulations (to include making turns from the correct lane). I also ride somewhere around 25mph while commuting.

The kind of people who would get angry with me for exercising my right to be on the road are irrational.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:18:12 PM EST

Matt

I must be a little rusty on the constitution.

Which amendment to the constitution guarantees a right to ride your 10 speed on busy streets?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:18:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:21:04 PM EST by Noname]
No sympathy here when I see them greased...

Fuck a bunch of Batman suited dorks from the city blocking the roads while conveniently disobeying all traffic laws!

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:20:04 PM EST
i fear "hate" may be too inadequate of a word, but i guess it'll work for now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:20:07 PM EST

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

Irrationality is generally rather simple. I often ride to work. I often have to deal with drivers who are less than courteous. I do not ride in the middle of the road, I ride on the bike path where able and I obey traffic regulations (to include making turns from the correct lane). I also ride somewhere around 25mph while commuting.

The kind of people who would get angry with me for exercising my right to be on the road are irrational.
Matt

So I'm irrational. I still hate bikers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:20:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By benbob:

Matt

Which amendment to the constitution guarantees a right to ride your 10 speed on busy streets?

A law does not need to be an amendment to be supported.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:21:36 PM EST
You know what they call a cyclist that thinks he has the right of way?

DEAD!!!

And I am a cyclist - I also go to work early to avoid the traffic - in a town with 3000 people.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:22:11 PM EST
I think a lot of the hate comes from the perception that cycling is a "leisure" activity, and someone cycling obviously has nothing better to do and nowhere important to be. When cyclists create a traffic hazard for people in cars on a busy road, who would rather not be where they are but are forced to (have a job etc.) the feelings of anger are natural.

"How dare someone be fooling around and having fun when I'm trying to get to my shitty job!"

The solution is to build bike lanes, if a city has enough people who wish to engage in cycling as a serious alternative to other motor vehicles.

Most cyclists would object to road licensing and road taxes though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:22:23 PM EST

Matt

So me where you have the right to drive. Also show where where some cyclist has the right to hold up traffic? Speed limit is 45, if you can't keep up GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:23:14 PM EST

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

Matt

So I'm irrational. I still hate bikers.

So, given my riding habits, you would be one of the fools who blow by me at 50mph on a 35mph road as close to my handlebars as possible (nevermind that you'd never drive that close to the edge of the road unless I was there) and scream out the window for me to get off "your road?"
I see.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:23:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By numberofthebeast:

Car > bike.

I win.

wow.. way to represent there, cletus.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:24:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:25:15 PM EST by Paveway_]

So, given my riding habits, you would be one of the fools who blow by me at 50mph on a 35mph road as close to my handlebars as possible (nevermind that you'd never drive that close to the edge of the road unless I was there) and scream out the window for me to get off "your road?"
I see.
Matt

Now you are just ASSuming...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:25:05 PM EST
I am a hardcore cyclist. I obey all traffic laws except sometimes at 5:30am I will blow stop signs when there are no cars at all. While obeying all laws I have had bottles thrown at me, people honking or yelling at me to try and scare me into crashing, entire cup of ice thrown right into my back, people cutting me off within inches. The list goes on and on. Give me respect and I will do the same.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:25:44 PM EST

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

But do you acknowledge and respect their right to ride on the road (assuming they obey traffic laws)?

That's the question - because it IS a decent analogy to gun rights (as long as the analogy isn't taken too far). Whether or not people like it, bikers have the right to ride on the road. In the same way that anti-gunners get all irrationally bent out of shape because they don't like the fact that we own guns, and went to ban them because they don't like them - there's much the same phenomenon with a lot of members here. They'd be perfectly happy to pass a law prohibiting bikers from using public streets, purely because it's something they don't like and because it causes them slight inconvenience.

I normallly hate it when people draw parallels to gun control, because most things are a stretch - but I do think this is a pretty good analogy.

And while I am a road biker, I scrupulously obey ALL traffic signals. I stop at all lights, all stop signs, I signal all lane changes or turns.

I personally HATE the bikers who want to exercise the right to ride on the roadway, but who cannot be bothered to take on the responsibility to obey the laws. I think they are assholes, and I honk at them whenever I pass them in my car (whether they blew through a stop sign, or ride several abreast on the road).

That said, please don't judge ME on the basis of the bad behavior of other people who just happen to enjoy the same pasttime/sport that I do. If I judged shooters based on some of the examples I've seen on public ranges, I'd hate all of you!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:26:51 PM EST
Fuck yes I hate those assholes.

They ride in groups, like four abreast, blocking the whole road. If you try to drive around them, they yell at you.

The people who want exercise ride their bikes on trails. The guys who want to ride to work, let's say, ride alone or maybe in small groups, and aren't assholes. But the groups who go out in a huge horde, all dressed up in their faggy uniforms, are out for one reason... to be the biggest asshole they can, and to try to "teach the world a lesson". They believe the whole world should revolve around them and their desires. They are all anti-American, anti-capitalist, anti-freedom shitbirds who hate cars and progress.

Fuck them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:28:32 PM EST
No. But I find the majority (99.9%) that I have seen do not follow the rules of the road.

I also think the ones who ride their bikes during rush hour traffic on the main drags have some type of death wish. Or they just enjoy pissing motorists off.

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:32:25 PM EST

Matt

The same one that lets you ride your car on the road.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:32:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
No. But I find the majority (99.9%) that I have seen do not follow the rules of the road.

I also think the ones who ride their bikes during rush hour traffic on the main drags have some type of death wish. Or they just enjoy pissing motorists off.

About 80% of motorists do not follow the rules of the road either... I'm not so sure they should appoint themselves the final arbiter of whether or not a cyclist is following the rules of the road.

Most cyclists I know are well versed in the rules of the road - it's what keeps us alive.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:32:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:35:14 PM EST by hushpuppy]

I hate cyclists that:

about right ...

if you do ride rudely i will smoke you with my 505 horse diesel ... and i mean smoke that is 100 feet in front and behind you ....

and yes i have pulled over to discuss it with everyone who's asked ...

and smile and wave politely to those who ride with respect
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:34:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

But do you acknowledge and respect their right to ride on the road (assuming they obey traffic laws)?

That's the question - because it IS a decent analogy to gun rights (as long as the analogy isn't taken too far). Whether or not people like it, bikers have the right to ride on the road. In the same way that anti-gunners get all irrationally bent out of shape because they don't like the fact that we own guns, and went to ban them because they don't like them - there's much the same phenomenon with a lot of members here. They'd be perfectly happy to pass a law prohibiting bikers from using public streets, purely because it's something they don't like and because it causes them slight inconvenience.

I normallly hate it when people draw parallels to gun control, because most things are a stretch - but I do think this is a pretty good analogy.

And while I am a road biker, I scrupulously obey ALL traffic signals. I stop at all lights, all stop signs, I signal all lane changes or turns.

I personally HATE the bikers who want to exercise the right to ride on the roadway, but who cannot be bothered to take on the responsibility to obey the laws. I think they are assholes, and I honk at them whenever I pass them in my car (whether they blew through a stop sign, or ride several abreast on the road).

That said, please don't judge ME on the basis of the bad behavior of other people who just happen to enjoy the same pasttime/sport that I do. If I judged shooters based on some of the examples I've seen on public ranges, I'd hate all of you!

Yes

No

This is America, I can hate whomever I want.

Is it your right to sling your NFA M60E3 and walk the sidewalk in your local city?

Yes, it is.

Is it smart? No it's not.

Do you have a right to shoot said M60E3 in your back hard into a large dirt berm on yoru 1/4 acre lot in suburbia? In most places, yes it is your right. Is it smart? No. Is it safe? No.

But it is your right.

With rights come responsbilities and duties to not be an asshole while exercising those rights. Why do people hate cyclists in general?

It is not because "oh they have free time to ride a bike while I'm on the way to work" as was posted above. It is because THEY can't be bothered to find a nonbusy stretch of road or a bike trail in which to ride on. So they ride on busy streets in suburbia because they can't get to far from starbucks or panera or they get afraid they will start hearing banjos....

Besides traveling down public roads on a vehicle is NOT a right. You do NOT have a right to drive a car down the road, it is a privledge. Riding a bicycle on the public roads is a privledge as well. If asshole cyclist keep acting like....assholes then that privledge will get yanked - as it used to be several decades ago.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:34:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By HunterGren:
Hey if they are able to maintain the posted speed limits without holding up traffic then I have no problem with them. Same goes for joggers.

They have no need to go the MAX speed limit as long as they go the MINIMUM speed limit if there is one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:34:46 PM EST
In boulder CO, they are the worst. they literally think they own the roads, even the highways around there.
I watch one guy that was riding from boulder to lyons (the most used highway bike route) actually get into the middle of the lane and make a huge a$$ RV (like 45-50 footer) slam on his brakes. The guy on the bike got pissed when the driver honked at him. I was hoping the RV would slowly move over to the side of the road driving the whole lot of em into the ditch and watch a nascar style bicycle crash.
I almost hit two in the canyons on the way down because they ride in the middle of the road.

We go shooting at left hand canyon up the hills a few miles not far from boulder. i am walking down to my truck and two cyclists actually make a comment toward me while i am carrying my AR in my hands.
I told them to come do something about it, but they rode away...too bad.

moral of the story...i hate hate hate bicyclists and wish there was a point system for hitting them if they are on the road.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:36:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Breugel:

Matt

Driving your car is not a constitutionally protected right.

Why do you think you must have a license, register your car among other things...
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:39:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By dee-vee:
I am a hardcore cyclist. I obey all traffic laws except sometimes at 5:30am I will blow stop signs when there are no cars at all. While obeying all laws I have had bottles thrown at me, people honking or yelling at me to try and scare me into crashing, entire cup of ice thrown right into my back, people cutting me off within inches. The list goes on and on. Give me respect and I will do the same.

you live in california...its your own fault...nuf said
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:39:26 PM EST

Matt

Why do you think you must have a license, register your car among other things...

I know I was just being a smart ass. I wish people would read the Constitution more.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:41:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By sniper7:

Originally Posted By dee-vee:

you live in california...its your own fault...nuf said

Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:41:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2007 2:48:42 PM EST by mjmjr1312]
I ride to work every day and follow all traffic lights, signal before i turn, stay to the far right of the lane(except to avoid potholes, shitty road sections etc), pull off to the side if I am slowing traffic, stay on trails/bike paths whenever possible(they are not everywhere 1/2 of my ride has no paths or lanes). I will pass cars on the right when they are stopped at a light, and no I am not some asshole who feels that I own the road, I drive as well... just not to and from work, I just want to get a workout every day and this is the easiest way for me, so why the fuck do people yell, buzz me as close as possible and generally act like assholes?

BTW the laws in many states do not allow bicyclists to ride on the sidewalks, I would love to ride on bike paths everywhere I don't want to be someones hood ornament... I know in HI it says not to exceed 10mph if you must be on the sidewalk/non-designated bike path.

there are asshole bike riders just like there are drivers but if the law says i must ride on the street with you why do some asshole drivers feel like they own the road when the laws, at least here, say that drivers must yield to bicyclists by law as long as I am holding up my end of the bargain

pretty much to sum it up bicyclists have the same rights to the road as drivers do, I paid to register and get a bike license (Hawaii's laws) just like a driver why should I have fewer rights if the road is not restricted (highway)

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:41:39 PM EST

Matt

while we may call it a right, priviledge or God-given allowance... it is permitted by the powers that be. If you don't like it, I suggest you introduce legislation at the state level to change the laws. Until that legislation gets passed, try not to kill me on the road.
Matt
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:43:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

Matt

So me where you have the right to drive. Also show where where some cyclist has the right to hold up traffic? Speed limit is 45, if you can't keep up GET THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD.

The speed limit is the MAXIMUM. If I want to drive 25 in a 45 on a JD 410, do you think you have the right to force me off the road? If so, I will smack you in the fender with the hoe!
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:44:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Matt

I support the 2A.

I hate bikers.

It's that simple.

Yes

No

This is America, I can hate whomever I want.

Is it your right to sling your NFA M60E3 and walk the sidewalk in your local city?

Yes, it is.

Is it smart? No it's not.

Do you have a right to shoot said M60E3 in your back hard into a large dirt berm on yoru 1/4 acre lot in suburbia? In most places, yes it is your right. Is it smart? No. Is it safe? No.

But it is your right.

With rights come responsbilities and duties to not be an asshole while exercising those rights. Why do people hate cyclists in general?

It is not because "oh they have free time to ride a bike while I'm on the way to work" as was posted above. It is because THEY can't be bothered to find a nonbusy stretch of road or a bike trail in which to ride on. So they ride on busy streets in suburbia because they can't get to far from starbucks or panera or they get afraid they will start hearing banjos....

Besides traveling down public roads on a vehicle is NOT a right. You do NOT have a right to drive a car down the road, it is a privledge. Riding a bicycle on the public roads is a privledge as well. If asshole cyclist keep acting like....assholes then that privledge will get yanked - as it used to be several decades ago.

Could you possible stereotype any more than you are doing.

Are you actually foaming at the mouth right now?

Could you tell me more about how "THEY" think and why they do what they do.

We both agree that there are tons off asshole bikers out there who SHOULD be beaten with a tire iron - I'm just asking that you don't stereotype all of them based on the limited number you run into.

I'm just frustrated because a lot of the language and vitrol you see in threads like this sounds a lot like the irrational kind of soccermom's bullshit. where they think they know all about "THEM" (you know, those crazy gun people who own machineguns because their dicks and small and they are insecure, and who run around playing militia and masturbate to end-of-the-world scenarios). Same kind of bullshit sterotyping and lumping everyone into the same group as the group of irresponsible assholes who give gun-owners a bad name.

By the way, I'm not talking about the "right" to ride on the roadway in the sense of some inaliable right - I'm talking about it as equivalent to the "right" of cars. Thus, I'm not using it in a legal or technical sense, but in the more common usage as in "they've got the SAME right to be on the road as cars do" - I understand that no vehicle has an unconditional or constitutional right to be on the road.

(And I'm also curious to hear more about your final statement, which implies that it used to be ILLEGAL for bikes to ride on the road "several decades ago" - I don't know what you're talking about - can you explain that a little more).
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:45:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Keith_J:

Originally Posted By DragoMuseveni:

Matt

The speed limit is the MAXIMUM. If I want to drive 25 in a 45 on a JD 410, do you think you have the right to force me off the road? If so, I will smack you in the fender with the hoe!

Exactly - roads that have MINIMUM speed limits (like interstates), for example, do not allow bicycles.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top