Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 4:34:08 PM EDT
Do you guys condition your hands?

I was just wondering

Most of the Arfcom world carries or at least owns.........

Pistols, knives, flashlights, long arms and handcuffs and all of those can be used as weapons

I was wondering if you condition your hands to make them harder, for hitting

Let the hilarity commence...........
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I mostly do strenth exercises with my right hand in the bathroom.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
i thought you wree talking about lotion for a while there.

sometimes when i'm driving i'll open the door and trail my hand on the pavement
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Before i got married i used to do it alot. Now that i am i do it even more.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was wondering if you condition your hands to make it harder?

Yes, sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I was just wondering

Pistols, knives, flashlights, long arms and handcuffs and all of those can be used as weapons

I condition them for punching...not hitting....punching the clown.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a feeling this thread would include a "few" jokes, this site has a great sense of humor

For the bunny, or anyone else wanting to know what the subject is, you can google for makiwara
I will post the first link that came up, it looks pretty accurate to me www.ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/makiwara.html
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

is that like flogging the dolphin?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Playing the skin flute?

Wacking the Mole?

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or spanking the monkey?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just wondering

So, it sounds like you do not condition them for the "venerable karate chop"?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was wondering if you condition your hands to make it harder?

Yes, sometimes.

Used to. I've gotten away from it lately, but I see the advantage.

My hands are pretty tender right now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Squatdog did.  No one can take a full-power shot from him.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Haven't done it in a while, but I used to strike a bucket of sand, 30 minutes for each hand every night. Straight punch, knife hand, etc.

I noticed an improvement after a few weeks of doing this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was just wondering

You should have posted this one in the self defense and fitness forums.

I studied Kyokushin Karate for a little over 8 years. We did the Makiwara/ punching board thing. I think it corrects form more than anything.

I would suggest that you work the heavy bag without handwraps and just gloves.

I would also suggest knuckle push ups on a hard flat surface. To correct form and strengthen up the tendens in your hands.

Too much conditioning is bad. I have seen pictures of Karate-Ka from Japan and Okinawa. Some of the hardcore guys appeared as if there first and second knuckles had fused together. That shits not worth it.

Being able to brawl is a skill we all should have, but the hard core hand conditioning is of limited value. You need to be able to use your hands for things other than punching.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope, I have really soft hands.

I'd prefer to keep them that way.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
.... You need to be able to use your hands for things other than punching.

like what was described previously in this thread!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Before i got married i used to do it alot. Now that i am i do it even more.

+87
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Punchin' a grumpy
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just wondering

You should have posted this one in the self defense and fitness forums.

I studied Kyokushin Karate for a little over 8 years. We did the Makiwara/ punching board thing. I think it corrects form more than anything.

I would suggest that you work the heavy bag without handwraps and just gloves.

I would also suggest knuckle push ups on a hard flat surface. To correct form and strengthen up the tendens in your hands.

Too much conditioning is bad.
I have seen pictures of Karate-Ka from Japan and Okinawa. Some of the hardcore guys appeared as if there first and second knuckles had fused together. That shits not worth it.

Being able to brawl is a skill we all should have, but the hard core hand conditioning is of limited value. You need to be able to use your hands for things other than punching.

I've been conditioning my hands slowly for quite a few years
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Haven't done it in a while, but I used to strike a bucket of sand, 30 minutes for each hand every night. Straight punch, knife hand, etc.

Whats an ect?  Just kidding, could you list the strikes?

eta: and how do you knife hand(karate chop?) sand in a bucket? Spear hand maybe?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Loping the mule.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta: and how do you knife hand(karate chop?) sand in a bucket? Spear hand maybe?

I focused mainly on 4 stirkes. Straight punch, hammer fist, knife hand, and spear hand.

as to how it is possible to knife hand in a bucket, you must think outside the limitations of a standard 5 gallon bucket. I used a rectangular feed bucket, slightly modified to allow for this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I focused mainly on 4 stirkes. Straight punch, hammer fist, knife hand, and spear hand.

as to how it is possible to knife hand in a bucket, you must think outside the limitations of a standard 5 gallon bucket. I used a rectangular feed bucket, slightly modified to allow for this.

Good thinking, you can also use "sand bags"(probably won't work too well for spear hand)

Straight punch DOWN into a bucket?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:08:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thinking, you can also use "sand bags"(probably won't work too well for spear hand)

Yep, straight down. It took a little getting used to, but I sat on the edge of the porch, with the bucket below me, did a little creative leaning to get the alignment right. I really should get back into this.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#27]
To seriously answer your question . . .

Yes, as a part of my hapkido training.  I just took a belt test yesterday to get my green belt which means that I can start some knuckle toughening exercises again.  It isn't anything complicated - just hitting lots of hard objects with multiple painful repetitions - but it works.  Most of the red and black belts around the dojang have a "superknuckle" which is just the result of having broken their knuckles several times.  If there is enough calcium in your diet the bone and cartilage solidifies after a few weeks with larger and denser calcium deposits.  You are basically putting rocks on your knuckles.

Same deal with palm strikes but I don't think we actually break anything there.  It is just getting used to the pain, although people do occasionally break their hand when breaking concrete improperly.  

I have only broken my middle knuckle on my right hand punching a large box made of 4x4s for this purpose - it took about a month to heal up and stop rebreaking.  I drank a lot of milk.  Now that I have ten weeks before the next test I am planning on breaking the left knuckles.

It's really cool when they are broken because it feels like you have lots of crumbly pebbles under your skin.  It makes my Mom shudder.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, straight down. It took a little getting used to, but I sat on the edge of the porch, with the bucket below me, did a little creative leaning to get the alignment right. I really should get back into this.

I tried it and didn't like it, I prefer to punch something in front of me
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yes, as a part of my hapkido training.  I just took a belt test yesterday to get my green belt which means that I can start some knuckle toughening exercises again.  It isn't anything complicated - just hitting lots of hard objects with multiple painful repetitions - but it works.  Most of the red and black belts around the dojang have a "superknuckle" which is just the result of having broken their knuckles several times.  If there is enough calcium in your diet the bone and cartilage solidifies after a few weeks with larger and denser calcium deposits.  You are basically putting rocks on your knuckles.

Same deal with palm strikes but I don't think we actually break anything there.  It is just getting used to the pain, although people do occasionally break their hand when breaking concrete improperly.  

I have only broken my middle knuckle on my right hand punching a large box made of 4x4s for this purpose - it took about a month to heal up and stop rebreaking.  I drank a lot of milk.  Now that I have ten weeks before the next test I am planning on breaking the left knuckles.

It's really cool when they are broken because it feels like you have lots of crumbly pebbles under your skin.  It makes my Mom shudder.

Ouch
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch

It hurts pretty bad when you first do it.  The day that I did my right knuckle I was also trying to do my left one but I didn't quite get it.  They both hurt about the same so I wish that I had gotten the left one broken as well.  Strangely it doesn't hurt later when you have thirty something crumbly pieces rolling around together.  No nerves there I guess.

As a side note I play bassoon, guitar, piano, my girlfriend, and several other loud and complicated instruments.  No impairment has been noted.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch

It hurts pretty bad when you first do it.  The day that I did my right knuckle I was also trying to do my left one but I didn't quite get it.  They both hurt about the same so I wish that I had gotten the left one broken as well.  Strangely it doesn't hurt later when you have thirty something crumbly pieces rolling around together.  No nerves there I guess.

As a side note I play bassoon, guitar, piano, my girlfriend, and several other loud and complicated instruments.  No impairment has been noted.

I think there is a nerve that can be damaged while doing palm heel strikes

What do you break? Concrete?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Been doing it since before I knew what it was.

The Iron fist technique.

"love punch" something semi hard as many times a day as you can handle.  I use phone books, or any other inanimate objects that may spark my intrests throughout the day, for that matter.  The real Iron fist tech calls for 1000 hits to a piece of steel/day.  Or something similar.

After a while you will develope callouses (sp?) and bone deposits, thus making your hands 'harder'.

You will also be more succeptable for arthritis, tendonitis, ect.  Not to mention some deformities.

But yea, my hands are pretty hard.  As a matter of fact, I have a pretty big gash out of one of my fingers from practicing.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Put the fucking lotion in the basket!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:51:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Wrestling with cyclops is about the most fighting I do these days   Chuck would be ashamed of me, no doubt.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch

No doubt I can damage myself a lot of ways doing palm heel strikes.  Especially if I do it on a black belt that can run faster than me.

I don't break concrete yet.  This time next year I will have to break two ~2" thick 5"x12" pieces back to back.  With my cock.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Sometimes I use my left hand because it feels like I'm getting a "piece of strange."
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch

No doubt I can damage myself a lot of ways doing palm heel strikes.  Especially if I do it on a black belt that can run faster than me.

I don't break concrete yet.  This time next year I will have to break two ~2" thick 5"x12" pieces back to back.  With my cock.

Sooooo...........you REALLY beat your meat
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Read a book on how boxers get fit and such and it was written by a boxer... He mentions doing knuckle pushups and fingertip pushups at least 3 days a week. He mentrions he fractured his hands three times untill he started that ^.

I do emm, I'd hate to hit someone and get hurt worst then I hurt them.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Read a book on how boxers get fit and such and it was written by a boxer... He mentions doing knuckle pushups and fingertip pushups at least 3 days a week. He mentrions he fractured his hands three times untill he started that ^.

I do emm, I'd hate to hit someone and get hurt worst then I hurt them.

Id hate to be 40 and not able to tie my shoelaces also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top