Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:57:16 AM EDT
My parents have been divorced since I was 5. Lived with my Mom and have always had a love/hate relationship. We are in a huge fight now and I'm ready to write her off for good. My Dad and I had some ups and downs when I was a teen but we get along great now and have lots in common. Plus we are very much alike, he lives in VA so I don't get to see him much. I'm sure if we spent too much time together we would kill each other. I've been the parent to my Mom all my life and I'm sick of it. I just need to vent but don't want to get into details. Just curious, if you don't get along why?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, mostly.  But we don't agree on everything, and I am sometimes uncomfortable being around my father.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I do now.  My parents divorced when I was 8.  Things were rough with mom for a while for a variety of reasons.  But we get along pretty good now.

Although both my parents are still wearing me out with suggestions about what I should do with my life.  What a damned annoyance
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, though we differ politically and will argue endlessly about our differences they have become more friends than parents as I have grown older.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
For the most part.  We operate two hardware stores together, so things can be tense at times.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Dad, yes.

Mom, sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
For the most part, no. I just suck it up and try to keep my temper in check as best I can.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#7]
With both, no problem.  Dad's a little more conservative than I am on some issues, but it's never really a problem - if we disagree, we disagree, and leave it at that.  I tend to take things a lot more philosophically now than I did in my teens (at least around family and friends, and that's helped.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]
My Dad was killed in '06 and since then my Mom has taken a swan dive into the shallow end of the gene pool. She has a new boyfriend who had nothing and is now living in my parents house, she doesn't contact her grandkids and only returns call sporadically. I love her but it is like she started a new life when Dad died and it doesn't include the old one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Now that I've been living on my own for a year, yes we get along very well now. We don't agree on EVERYTHING but both of my parents are upstanding and are very conservative.  I get along with my dad better than my mom.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#12]
We get along fine, but mainly because we're not cramped up with each other all the time.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My Dad was killed in '06 and since then my Mom has taken a swan dive into the shallow end of the gene pool. She has a new boyfriend who had nothing and is now living in my parents house, she doesn't contact her grandkids and only returns call sporadically. I love her but it is like she started a new life when Dad died and it doesn't include the old one.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. How old is your Mom? Sounds like something my Mom would do, she's always been out for herself. Not to say my Mom hasn't done a lot for me but ..... she's done a lot of shitty stuff too. I basically raised myself and have had to be a parent to her too now that I'm older.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Uhh, where is the option - Yes, I get along so well with them I still live in there basement.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Great.  My mom can still get a touch too smothering and controlling/meddling at times, but nothing too big.  I just have to occasionally politely ask her to back off and remind her I'm not a kid anymore.

I guess I'll just always be her baby.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Both dead, so yes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#19]
sort of kind of. 5/ on a scale of /10 id say. we all can function normally. it got better as soon as i moved out of the house
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
dad and i have always gotten along. a few big fights here and there (in my teen years all the time) but thats part of being in a family. only get to see him 3 times a year (but a week at a time) now, but we always make a point to have a yelling argument and call each other every name in the book, and threaten to kick each others ass for "old times sake" scares the wife, she still hasn't figured out we are doing it for fun. lol

my mother and i have never been close. we get along, and talk now, but we are still not close, havent seen her in three years, but thats probably why we get along.

edit: for clarification

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I get along great with my parents.  Both are upstanding, decent people.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#23]
They are a couple of my best friends in the world.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#24]
My mom is great. Born on a ranch in Oklahoma. Been riding horses since before she could walk. Owned guns all her life. Had me on a horse before the age of 2. Helped me get my first BB gun at 7, my first 10/22 at 12. She carries a G-21 on her all the time and nobody screws with her.

Dad was born and raised in Cali. 'nuff said.

Still don't understand how those two got together.

Needless to say, they aren't together anymore.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:51:58 AM EDT
[#25]
get along with both my parents and both my step parents.   I've never actually had a problem with anyone in my family at all
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I get along great with my parents.  Both are upstanding, decent people.

This

I also get along with a large part of my extended family for the same reason.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Very much so.  They are both passed on now, but I always got along well with them when living at home, and about 10 years back as their health declined I moved them in with me.  Lost dad in 2006, and mom last year, but I don't regret having them with me at all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:56:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Well i work in the family business with me dad - so yes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Hmmm lets see.
I am 36 years old.  I work with my dad in the family business.  (Oilfield Rental)
I bought a Harley from a friend on 6/12/2009.  1988 Wide Glide.  Good shape.  Paid 4K for it.  Worth a little more than that, but He needed the cash for another project.
As soon as I told my mother, she bitched and moaned and threw such a fit that I was basically threatened with dismissal by my father if I didn't take the bike back.  So MY money is back in MY account where SHE wants it.  
Guess what my aswer to your poll is.......
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Was raised by my grandparents,basically grew up in a war zone,"family" blew itself up when I was ten stayed on with my grand folks til the end,was hard as hell and some bad shit went down,my mom is the only one who stayed in contact/visits regularly-but she's becoming my grandmother all over again
Talked to two of my aunts last fall for the first time in 23 years,it ok but I know that there will always be some distance between us.

So I don't really have/never had a family,right now I have some things to straighten out and get my life going so I don't need the drama my mom is giving me.........

Sometimes I think the best bet I have is to just move and don't tell anybody where I am,just let'em know I'm ok but don't call me
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Everyone has disagreements that lead to arguments.

My relationship with my Mom is pretty good. We get in arguments, but it never lasts.

When I was about 13, I had constant conflict with my Dad. We're doing better now... But I think we're too much alike, with minor differences. People who are totally different can kind of do their own thing. We're very similar in interests, etc. with just minor variations in how we like to do things. Not a good combination. I think we're getting along as well as we ever will.

My brother is totally different from me. I forget he even exists at times. He's into reading books, and dragons, elves, etc. We get along fine... But we just don't interact. I talk to him about once a day... Even though we're only 30 feet apart most of the time. There are no negative feelings. We just don't have anything in common to speak about.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Dad died 12 years ago tomorrow so Mom is my parents. I love my mom to death and then some. I wouldn't know what to do without her.

**Disclaimer: I do not live in her basement(those aren't around in Texas) and I live on my own. But if I could still live at home, I would.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:02:10 PM EDT
[#33]
I bet if you posted this on a liberal board the results would be about opposite.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Extremely well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Dad, yes.

Mom, sometimes.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hmmm lets see.
I am 36 years old.  I work with my dad in the family business.  (Oilfield Rental)
I bought a Harley from a friend on 6/12/2009.  1988 Wide Glide.  Good shape.  Paid 4K for it.  Worth a little more than that, but He needed the cash for another project.
As soon as I told my mother, she bitched and moaned and threw such a fit that I was basically threatened with dismissal by my father if I didn't take the bike back.  So MY money is back in MY account where SHE wants it.  

Grow up and get another job.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm lets see.

Grow up and get another job.

How do you figure I need to grow up?  I was guilted into coming back and working with my dad because my 2 brothers didn't want anything to do with it.  A company my grandfather started in the 1950's was going to go under because my dad wanted to retire (yeah right, that never happened) and my brothers decided to go their own way.  I''m the oldest, so it fell to me.  Now that I am here to give the old man a break, he no longer feels like retiring.  But hey, I guess thats immature....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hmmm lets see.

I loved my mother and I got along fine with my parents, but if my mother had tried something like that with me, I would have told her flat out to mind her own business or I wouldn't be speaking to her again.  I don't mean to be insulting, but it's your life.  Don't let your parents control you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yes, mostly.  But we don't agree on everything, and I am sometimes uncomfortable being around my father.

That ought to get fixed.  A father is a terrible thing to lose.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I get along very well with my parents. They are the best people I know.   My family is very close.  Hell, I even get along great with my in-laws.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm lets see.

I loved my mother and I got along fine with my parents, but if my mother had tried something like that with me, I would have told her flat out to mind her own business or I wouldn't be speaking to her again.  I don't mean to be insulting, but it's your life.  Don't let your parents control you.

Yeah, well thats pretty much where we are.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top