Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:33:20 PM EST
I always feel lonely in my hobby that none of my friends or family are into guns. execpt here or at the range.

My friends always critize me for spending so much money on guns and mags but they dont understand the Anti's determination to take them all away

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:33:56 PM EST
No
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:35:12 PM EST
Move to West Virginia. Problem solved. I just went shooting off my neighbors porch with our buddies AR's. Lot's of fun. Too bad we ran out of beer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:36:28 PM EST
Take them to the range and see how quickly they get converted. I find that people either misunderstand guns or are just afraid of them. Take them to the range and show them how safe guns really are.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:36:42 PM EST
no. girlfriend likes guns! mom and dad like them! brother likes them! some of my friends like them!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnorton:
Take them to the range and see how quickly they get converted. I find that people either misunderstand guns or are just afraid of them. Take them to the range and show them how safe guns really are.

oh I have and they get sort of into it but lose interest fast, I dont understand I am hooked and cant stop spending money
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:37:54 PM EST
I introduce a lot of kids to shooting but yeah, not too many folks understand the sport... kind alone.

Only two other gun owners at this college and they aren't really gun nuts.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:39:14 PM EST
My grandpa is a extreme anti and everytime he comes over I rub it in his face by pulling out my AR and saying look what I just got. He thinks I get a new one all the time.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:39:48 PM EST
some people aren't "hobby people"
It sounds strange, but some people are just happy to go to work, come home and relax.
I look forward to coming home, so I can do stuff that is exciting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:40:10 PM EST
I think most of us arfcomers are the extreme gun nuts who spend every last dime on guns
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:40:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By repub18:

oh I have and they get sort of into it but lose interest fast, I dont understand I am hooked and cant stop spending money

Consider yourself lucky. If you have a gun nut friend, you can expect your spending to at least double. We can't have him having better stuff than us now can we?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:41:37 PM EST

I always feel lonely in my hobby that none of my friends or family are into guns. execpt here or at the range.

My friends always critize me for spending so much money on guns and mags but they dont understand the Anti's determination to take them all away

Exactly the same here
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:42:56 PM EST
Nope I cannot say I am. I run into at least 3 of them a day... I run a smithing shop so I probably dont count.. Now if I could keep the hired help from gabbing all day I could get some work done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:45:00 PM EST
I guess I should try and get a job at a gun shop
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:45:05 PM EST
the only reason I get lonely is when my wife asks what fedex dropped off (I don't lie to the wife). She doesn't always understand why I pay $25,000/yr on a PharmD then another 7k on guns. Now if I can just get a concubine I will be set.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:45:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:48:07 PM EST

I guess I should try and get a job at a gun shop

Do.. you will learn a lot. Just be humble and keep an open mind!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:48:41 PM EST
I was a little surprised recently to find a couple of people amongst my wife's friends that like guns. One couple (both attorneys) have guns and another couple went shooting with us on a trip to Mammoth Lakes. I know my wife's best friend from college is anti and the "girls happy hour" is about 50-50 about things like the AWB (I'd never guess that they'd talk about that stuff, LOL).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:49:42 PM EST
Nope.

As if I'd give a shit anyway.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:50:51 PM EST
I introduce a lot of kids to shooting but yeah, not too many folks understand the sport... kind alone.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:53:05 PM EST

I think most of us arfcomers are the extreme gun nuts who spend every last dime on guns

Alas, 'tis all too true... And to paraphrase George S. Patton: "I love it... God help me I do love it so"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:03:18 PM EST
I have a friend who lives in New York and visits Philly once in a while. His parents live across the street from my mom's house in a pretty bad neighborhood. He has to take the train home from that neighborhood, usually after dark. Both him and his parents are big gun-control supporters, bumper stickers and all. They constantly make fun of me for being a "gun nut".

The funny thing is, when he goes to the train station to wait for his ride home, his parents always want to make sure that I'm there with him, because they know that I always carry a .45!

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:

- BG

did you just post that 2 times?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:07:17 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:08:50 PM EST
I've become much more social since I found my local range has league shooting most nights.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:10:08 PM EST
No. But I'm a solitary SOB.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:12:12 PM EST
No, I know lots of shooters, and talk to you guys daily.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:14:48 PM EST
isolated? nah i have my guns to keep me company.............
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:20:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheSelecter:
isolated? nah i have my guns to keep me company.............

lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:22:21 PM EST
Try living where I do in Connecticut.....

Place is swarming with liberal pukes...

I haven't gone shooting in so long, I can't remember, since I really don't like going to the range alone. more fun with a friend, but around here, it's like a damn wasteland....... not a soul in sight

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:27:34 PM EST

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:33:11 PM EST

This is me every last dime!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:34:33 PM EST
Not really isolated, but do have to watch who I'm talking to though. When I get a new gun or part I get all jeeked about it and start telling my librail friends and they get that OH MY GOD YOU GOT ISSUES look [JT say I do it on purpose]. This was the case when JT and I went to see the Victory ship on our vacation to CA, shot a roll of film just on the armament [I love 20mm cannons]. And just had to show them to our peacenik friends [they were not impressed]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:38 PM EST
... Heck no, this is Arizona. Everyone that I know (personally) in my neighborhood has guns. Even talked about openly at work without reprisal. Shooting/BBQ gatherings are a big pastime in the milder months around here.

... This is the UZI Triangle after all !
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:49:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 7:49:56 PM EST by FALARAK]
Crap.... AR15.com for me is practically a social club. I know several people that get together for shoots and dont even bring a weapon. I think the DFW crew gets together for more non-shooting events than shooting ones.

But then, I live in TEXAS. There are no non-shooters here. Gun ownership is a state requirement.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:10 PM EST
I guess I'd feel isolated if I was surrounded, but that's why I have a rifle, to keep me warm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:50:37 PM EST
I feel isolated in the size of my safe. I need more space or else I will start hiding firearms around the house in key strategic points in case of a breakin.

A shame my rents would be very unhappy to find me with an XD-9 walking around(loaded, that is...)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:51:53 PM EST
Id like more people to go shooting with, but Im comfortable enough
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:00:07 PM EST
<---College Kid

Yes, I'm very alone in it
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:10:51 PM EST

Quite a few of the people I have met in the area don't want anything to do with firearms and they consider hunters to be bambi killers(never mind they're overpopulated).

Two friends that I grew up with both own guns but neither understand the agenda that the anti's have nor do they have a clue why I enjoy talking about or spending money collecting some C&R's and a couple "assault weapons" . You know,the dreaded EBR! Trying to get them to go to the range is mostly a lost cause. I've just about given up on them.

Another friend of mine (and gunowner)moved out of state a while back but we still manage to talk about the latest in guns but now theres no gettin' to the range.

When it comes right down to it, Yeah this is a lonely hobby. I suppose that its a sign of the times due in part to politics and geography. The only other person that enjoyed firearms,hunting and understood the danger to the Second Amendment was my brother who passed away last year.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:18:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By CrazyIrishman:

Quite a few of the people I have met in the area don't want anything to do with firearms and they consider hunters to be bambi killers(never mind they're overpopulated).

Two friends that I grew up with both own guns but neither understand the agenda that the anti's have nor do they have a clue why I enjoy talking about or spending money collecting some C&R's and a couple "assault weapons" . You know,the dreaded EBR! Trying to get them to go to the range is mostly a lost cause. I've just about given up on them.

Another friend of mine (and gunowner)moved out of state a while back but we still manage to talk about the latest in guns but now theres no gettin' to the range.

When it comes right down to it, Yeah this is a lonely hobby. I suppose that its a sign of the times due in part to politics and geography. The only other person that enjoyed firearms,hunting and understood the danger to the Second Amendment was my brother who passed away last year.

sorry about your loss, but I guess in general it is a lonely hobby unless your in the industry. Its not that easy to start talking guns to anyone and the people at the local shops or ranges usually dont have the same interests as us EBR owners
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:22:42 PM EST
I am surrounded by firearm enthusiasts in the U.S. Coast Guard. Its nice being able to talk about my hobby and not have some idiot say "you have a gun? please dont kill me first!"
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:27:13 PM EST
Same here...until recently, when a few guys on gun forums want to put a shoot together, I actually go.

To my surprise, there are others like me!

Much like that song, with the Bumble Bee fat little girl....who no one appreciates her costume, and odd dancing.

Forgot the name of the song.....that song struck a cord with me.

Lately, I've been to Sloan a few times, meet some pretty nice folks.....except one fellow who didn't want to be bothered shooting his bolt-action rifle from the back of his pickup truck.

Also met a few guys in the PRK.

"There are many.....like us"

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:27:26 PM EST

Consider yourself lucky. If you have a gun nut friend, you can expect your spending to at least double. We can't have him having better stuff than us now can we?

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:28:32 PM EST
Actually I like it that way. I'm not very chatty while I shoot and I like the internal isolation from the world. It's me, sights, a trigger, and a target. Everything else just melts away. Except for the guy who always sits next to me with a F'ing canon that always goes off a split second before one of my shots. I'll end up dropping one into the 7 ring thanks to that :)

Damn hunters and their high powered sniper rifles. There ought to be a law!

Really though, I mostly want to be alone... it's an escape for me, and friends blabbering about nonsense ruins that part of it. I'll make the sacrifice if I think I have a chance of converting them though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:14:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 10:16:07 PM EST by chrome1]
None of my family , and only one of my friends even own a firearm . The one friend
is mostly a hunter and only owns weapons geared towards that .

Since getting back into shooting a couple of years ago . I have met a few casual acquaintances that have the BRD bug , but mostly I end up shooting alone .

What amazes me the most is the people you meet in Gun stores and Ranges .
Considering where I live , in south eastern NY . The Liberal Mecca . Last week was a prime example .

I was shooting at an indoor pistol range at night . When closing time came everyone emptied out into sign in area/lounge and a BS session broke out . Somehow the topic turned to occupations . There were 2 Bank execs , an OBGYN , a Dentist , an IBM research scientist ,a NYC Fireman , Me and a self proclaimed " House Husband " ............

Goes to show , ya never know who’s packin heat
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:28:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 10:30:02 PM EST by USPC40]
I know plenty of people that like guns, but I can't seem to get them to go shooting with me. If I do, it's only for one time. I've stopped asking people if they want to go because I'm tired of the excuses. It's always, "Yeah, I'd love to go." and then when the time comes, they're no shows. There's this one girl I worked with that went once with me. She went on and on how much fun she had and wanted to go again. That was 5 months ago. Every time since then, she say, "We need to go shooting again!". When I try to make plans, she always has something else to do. I give up!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:30:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:31:47 PM EST
I guess some people are just born with the EBR disease.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:44:27 PM EST

Yes. My best shooting buddy is currently getting extra 'range time' in Afghanistan, and I've taken my brother in law a couple of times, but he doesn't go to gun shows or collect firearms or anything else.

I shoot alone, and reload alone (as in, have taught myself to reload).

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:12:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:
some people aren't "hobby people"
It sounds strange, but some people are just happy to go to work, come home and relax.
I look forward to coming home, so I can do stuff that is exciting.

Word, brutha!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top