Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/8/2006 9:15:07 AM EDT
Do you fear the police. Most of the police officers I have known in my life have been either corrupt or down right crooked. I have three police officers in my family now (two active one retired)who have told me stories about beating up suspects, planting evidence, taking sexual favors for various things, taking bribes and a number of other tales not worth repeating. My best friends dad and his buddies are police officers and they tell me stories about the Palm Beach Sherrifs office that are down right terrifing. I have heard stories about police officers who not only protect drug trade but down right enforce it. I have heard stories about minority suspects (not the word they used N word) being beaten and left for dead.

All these stories and recent event has made me more and more nervous around police officers I know that not all police officers are corrupt but it is the few that are have me really scared of the police. I dont think I would call the police even if someone was threatening me or tried to hurt me because I fear the police more than anything.

It didnt use to be like this for me I use to think police were the good guys who were there to help when ever they could. Now I freak out if police happen to be shooting on the same range as me or are checking out my weapons because I think in the back my head they might take my guns and threaten to shoot me.

I keep thinking that the police in this country are less like a honorable Andie Griffith and more like a secret police group that grabs people in the middle of the night tortures rapes and makes them disappear. I know this is not what is happening but it is starting to get to me. I dont trust or feel safe around police
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:18:36 AM EDT
Nope, i don't know anyone like the people you describe.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:19:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:19:16 AM EDT
I assume them to be corrupt and unethical sacks of crap in a uniform until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:21:49 AM EDT
But who is the first perso you call when shit hits the fan? Not all cops are corrupt. I am in the police accedemy now and know many cops and the worst thing that happens is cheating on their wife. Yes I have know some cops that stole guns from raids and took drugs but thst is less the 2% of the police that give the rest of us a bad name.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:22:29 AM EDT
Sounds like someone needs to stop watching The Shield

btw I don't trust anyone I don't care who ya are.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:24:43 AM EDT
In short, Yep.

Now, my only interaction with the coppers has been speeding tickets, and I've found almost every one of them to be polite, courteous, and even down right friendly.

Oh well, fears based on nothing in my personal experience.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:25:21 AM EDT
Seek professional help, you'll feel better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:28:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:
But who is the first perso you call when shit hits the fan?

Kinda leaves no choice, does it? If an average "civilian" were to take care of it themselves, they would be called a "vigilante" and be thrown in jail.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:30:18 AM EDT
I am always nervous dealing with them when I am pulled over, because they only pull me over for a reason. Otherwise not really. The one time I sat in the backseat of a cop car was over total BS, so I wasn't nervous or scared at all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:32:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LE6920:

Is that your Police Department's motto?

Well, maybe the motto over the bulletin board in the locker room?

Eric The(No,Seriously)Hun
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:33:19 AM EDT

why so I can start taking SSRI meds to dope me into submission for your JBTing pleasure?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:35:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 9:38:31 AM EDT by Ragnaroc]
I live in the Alaskan bush, when we get a total fucktard, we can usually run them off one way or another after a while.
Right now we are lucky to have two upstanding gentlemen in the positions of authority out here.
It is amazing how a dick who will break the law to get busts will mess up the vibe of a wonderful place to live. We even had an emergency city council meeting about one of them.
In the last 20 years, about 1/5 of the officers we have had out here have been "tools".
Just the fact that they get away with the shit that they do in a small community where everyone knows whats going on makes me wonder how it is elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:37:05 AM EDT
I believe most cops are good people with a tough job to do. They put up with a lot. Nevertheless, don't be fooled into thinking they are your "friend." They will undoubtedly, every last one them, be the ones knocking down your door to seize your guns when the SHTF. History, reason, common sense and New Orleans clearly demonstrate this.

ILLEGAL GUN CONFISCATION
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:40:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ar15-sweety:

All these stories and recent event has made me more and more nervous around police officers I know that not all police officers are corrupt but it is the few that are have me really scared of the police. I dont think I would call the police even if someone was threatening me or tried to hurt me because I fear the police more than anything.

It didnt use to be like this for me I use to think police were the good guys who were there to help when ever they could. Now I freak out if police happen to be shooting on the same range as me or are checking out my weapons because I think in the back my head they might take my guns and threaten to shoot me.

I keep thinking that the police in this country are less like a honorable Andie Griffith and more like a secret police group that grabs people in the middle of the night tortures rapes and makes them disappear. I know this is not what is happening but it is starting to get to me. I dont trust or feel safe around police

To be quite honest it sounds to me like you need to see a professional. I do think some cops take their authority a little far, but by no means the majority of them. Most of the cops locally are real good guys doing a hard job for shit money. Most of the cool "gun guys" I've dealt with around here are cops.

The number one irrirtant for me are the cops that defend other cops who do wrong, no matter how obvious the wrong doing is and hyocrite cops who let other cops get away with outright law breaking as a "professional courtesy."

Either way, nothing to spend my time FEARING, especially that they are going to hold me at gun point and take my guns or that they're disappearing people in the night.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:42:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ragnaroc:
I live in the Alaskan bush, when we get a total fucktard, we can usually run them off one way or another after a while.
Right now we are lucky to have two upstanding gentlemen in the positions of authority out here.
It is amazing how a dick who will break the law to get busts will mess up the vibe of a wonderful place to live. We even had an emergency city council meeting about one of them.
In the last 20 years, about 1/5 of the officers we have had out here have been "tools".
Just the fact that they get away with the shit that they do in a small community where everyone knows whats going on makes me wonder how it is elsewhere.

VSO's? Or Troopers?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 9:47:18 AM EDT by BillofRights]
You have it pretty much correct.

There are some that are professional, but as a general rule "fear or mistrust" of the police can keep you out of trouble.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:42:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:

If either he or you are that paranoid, you need the help.

(yes, seriously)
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:50:47 AM EDT

I'll play the troll game.

I can honestly say that I don't fear people, esp those I have never met.

Now distrust, heck that's everybody except family, and I'm not so sure about my brother-in-law.

Maybe you should take a look at reducing your caffeine intake?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:51:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hatebreed:

To be quite honest it sounds to me like you need to see a professional. I do think some cops take their authority a little far, but by no means the majority of them. Most of the cops locally are real good guys doing a hard job for shit money. Most of the cool "gun guys" I've dealt with around here are cops.

The number one irrirtant for me are the cops that defend other cops who do wrong, no matter how obvious the wrong doing is and hyocrite cops who let other cops get away with outright law breaking as a "professional courtesy."

Either way, nothing to spend my time FEARING, especially that they are going to hold me at gun point and take my guns or that they're disappearing people in the night.

I know what he means when he says he fears the cops more than anything. Almost noone locks their door out here. I started when we had one dickhead trooper who would do anything(including breaking the law) to get a bust. That one prick had the whole town worrying that he was going to shoot someone(hence the town meeting). At that time, that trooper was the thing EVERYONE in this town feared the most.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:53:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 9:55:25 AM EDT by AR15fan]

Do you fear the police. Most of the police officers I have known in my life have been either corrupt or down right crooked.

Thats because you live in the south east. Corruption is a way of life down there. I have been a cop for 13 years and i dont trust cops from the South Eastern US.

The fastest ways to make corrupt cops are.

1. Nepotism
2. Low hiring standards
3. Low pay.
4. Allowing off duty employment.
5. Allowing off duty employment as security.
6. Allowing off duty employment where alcohol is sold or consumed.

You hire the Chiefs nephew who dropped out of highschool, pay him dirt wages and let him work security at the strip club when off duty, you're gonna have trouble.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:55:44 AM EDT
No, I am the police.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:56:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:

Originally Posted By Ragnaroc:

VSO's? Or Troopers?

Some of both, usually the vpso's "get it" pretty quick. The complete tool was a trooper just out of the academy looking to make a name, I think. I don't want to get into it again, but last I heard he is selling real estate.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 10:05:14 AM EDT by PBIR]

Originally Posted By AR15fan:

Do you fear the police. Most of the police officers I have known in my life have been either corrupt or down right crooked.

Thats because you live in the south east. Corruption is a way of life down there. I have been a cop for 13 years and i dont trust cops from the South Eastern US.

This from a cop in the land of Edward "choke a taxpayer" Davis's LAPD. Guess you didn't hear about the two NY cops that just got busted for working as mob hitmen either?

BOT, I treat any authority with skepticism. Laws might be great but the men who enforce them are imperfect.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:08:59 AM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:11:20 AM EDT
My general rule of thumb is to not trust anyone I don't absolutely have to.

This does not prevent me from being courteous and respectful to officers of the law.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:12:55 AM EDT
Fear them, no, I find that as a group most are upstanding members of society. The few bad apples ruin it for the rest.

Distrust, well, since I don't trust too many people, of course.

Do you really think that the majority of LEO's are going to beat down everyone they stop for any reason?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:16:40 AM EDT

Thats because you live in the south east. Corruption is a way of life down there.

Now that comment really made me mad...because it's 100% true! You hit the nail on the head. Those, among many other reasons, are why every single cop I know here in SC is as bad as or worse than what Ar15-sweety described. I've known several good guys that turned into complete thugs after becoming a cop and spending a lot of time with other cops after only a couple of years or so. That also probably has something to do with why every single cop I know is extremely anti-gun.z
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:21:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:

Thats because you live in the south east. Corruption is a way of life down there.

Now that comment really made me mad...because it's 100% true! You hit the nail on the head. Those, among many other reasons, are why every single cop I know here in SC is as bad as or worse than what Ar15-sweety described. I've known several good guys that turned into complete thugs after becoming a cop and spending a lot of time with other cops after only a couple of years or so. That also probably has something to do with why every single cop I know is extremely anti-gun.z

I know people hate to hear it. But low pay leads to corruption. Pay your cops a living wage and you'll have good cops. Pay them less than a Dominoes driver and they are going to find other sources of revenue.

You get the police you pay for. That means you have to pay recruiters to find quality applicants. You have to pay investigators to do good backgrounds. You have to pay polygraph operators to screen out the liars. You have to pay colleges or larger agencies to run professional academy. You have to pay experianced and competant supervisors and administrators. You have to staff a proffessional IA division.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:24:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pen:

Do you really think that the majority of LEO's are going to beat down everyone they stop for any reason?

Nope. In some places, like LA, the corruption is targeted at the criminals.

In other places, like NOLA, the corruption is targeted at outsiders/tourist with the goal of lining the officers pockets.

Neither is tolerable but ripping off drug dealers is more tolerable than shaking down good guys simply because they live the next county over.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:33:33 AM EDT
Well, even though I do not really believe you are telling the truth in your original post, I will comment.

The police you "know":

...either corrupt or down right crooked...

...beating up suspects, planting evidence, taking sexual favors for various things, taking bribes ...

...who not only protect drug trade but down right enforce it...

...I have heard stories about minority suspects (not the word they used N word) being beaten and left for dead...

I, on the other hand, have first hand experience with police officers, having been one myself, and to this day knowing a whole bunch.

I have never, never, known a police officer like those you describe. And the ones I've known, would arrest any bad cop like you describe in a heartbeat.

I've seen bad cops. But they were arrested as soon as they were identified by the good cops.

Nobody hates a bad cop as much as a good cop.

In fact, the things you say "you've heard" are so full of BS, that they are laughable.

I'm sure that in some northeastern police departments, there is corruption. How bad it is, I don't know.

But for the vast majority of police departments that I am familiar with, bad cops like you mention would be sharing a cell with Big Bubba in short order.

The police officers I know are dedicated, law abiding, good men, that do a very hard job and take their oaths seriously. I trust the ones I know and would tend to put trust in the rest, until they demonstrated that they are un-trustworthy.

Now, an attitude like yours could either indicate dishonesty (trolling), or a serious phycilogical problem.

But since I do not know you, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you have simply been lied to.

When I was applying for my first job as a police officer I had a couple of aquaintences tell me horror stories about how the cops were "on the take" and "aiding criminals" and the like. I was a little concerned when I got the job.

But once I went to work I found that the guys I worked with (at least 98% of them) were hard working, honest, and even idealistic in their determination to be fair and honest in their duties.

Contrary to the attitude of some on this board, the vast majority of police officers are some of the best people you will ever meet.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:34:51 AM EDT
Pay with peanuts and you'll only attract monkeys.

Friend of mine spent some years working for the local Sherrifs office. He is fond of saying that the only justice one encounters when they become entangled with the law is that dealt out by a cop with a conscience. Discretion is the key here, but many (most?) cops, including many of the ARFcom cops no longer believe it is their place to make judgements; they'd rather make arrests and let the legal system hammer it out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:41:54 AM EDT
The police are not your friend.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:44:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 3rdStreet:
But who is the first perso you call when shit hits the fan?[:/] Not all cops are corrupt. I am in the police accedemy now and know many cops and the worst thing that happens is cheating on their wife. Yes I have know some cops that stole guns from raids and took drugs but thst is less the 2% of the police that give the rest of us a bad name.

Kimber or Mossberg.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:49:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:49:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
Contrary to the attitude of some on this board, the vast majority of police officers are some of the best people you will ever meet.

Yup, the best and most well rounded people I've ever met wore a shield. I don't trust anybody, so I don't single LE out.

And I'm in the Southeast!

Broward Sheriff's Office is a great department in my honest opinion.

Although, I think it's funny that the sheriff refuses to carry a gun.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:02:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
I assume them to be corrupt and unethical sacks of crap in a uniform until proven otherwise.

Careful. Someone will ask you for examples, and when you point out policemen that were corrupt in the past, they'll tell you that the past actions of other officers dont matter, and call you a liberal.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:08:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zoom:

I know people hate to hear it. But low pay leads to corruption. Pay your cops a living wage and you'll have good cops. Pay them less than a Dominoes driver and they are going to find other sources of revenue.

You get the police you pay for. That means you have to pay recruiters to find quality applicants. You have to pay investigators to do good backgrounds. You have to pay polygraph operators to screen out the liars. You have to pay colleges or larger agencies to run professional academy. You have to pay experianced and competant supervisors and administrators. You have to staff a proffessional IA division.

so throwing even more money to the cops coffers is the answer?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:10:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 11:16:19 AM EDT by unkempt1]

Originally Posted By pen:

Nope. In some places, like LA, the corruption is targeted at the criminals.

In other places, like NOLA, the corruption is targeted at outsiders/tourist with the goal of lining the officers pockets.

Neither is tolerable but ripping off drug dealers is more tolerable than shaking down good guys simply because they live the next county over.

interesting.
are you honestly trying to say one form of corruption is ok, while another is not?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:

If either he or you are that paranoid, you need the help.

(yes, seriously)

Yeah, it's not like the newspapers are not full of shiite about rogue cops, or anything.

I suppose there are some pretty decent crack hos out there.

And only a few of them wear badges.

The thing to remember is that they are no different than their fellow citizens.

No difference, at all.

None.

Get it?

Unless you are in the military in this country, you are a civilian.

Eric The(FellowCivilian)Hun
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:23:00 AM EDT
Like any other profession. There are assholes in every bunch, whether it be cops, Dr.'s, teacher or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:23:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 11:27:30 AM EDT by Hydguy]

The fastest ways to make corrupt cops are.

1. Nepotism
2. Low hiring standards
3. Low pay.
4. Allowing off duty employment.
5. Allowing off duty employment as security.
6. Allowing off duty employment where alcohol is sold or consumed.

You hire the Chiefs nephew who dropped out of highschool, pay him dirt wages and let him work security at the strip club when off duty, you're gonna have trouble.

Really? Ever hear of a little scandle called RAMPART? Of course not. Or any of the scandles out of NYC? Nope. Corruption is the sole issue of southern LE's.....

And let's not forget the cop that shot the airforce guy multiple times not too long ago...Where was he? Oh yea.. California.

You have earned the asshat of the day award.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:37:37 AM EDT
I have a healthy lack of trust for most people.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:42:29 AM EDT
Nope. I've always thought of them as the "good guys."
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:42:58 AM EDT
fear, no distrust, maybe...
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:56:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By centralvahunter:
Like any other profession. There are assholes in every bunch, whether it be cops, Dr.'s, teacher or whatever.

Doctors and teachers aren't given a badge, a gun and the power to arrest.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:59:28 AM EDT
Seems more like the members in your family are crooks regardless of profession.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:00:36 PM EDT
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:04:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Seems more like the members in your family are crooks regardless of profession.

Bingo, beat me to it.

I'd be ashamed if that was my family.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:06:30 PM EDT
I don't necessarily fear them. I mistrust them because of their methods of invoking fear. I do not like their coy backhandedness way of conducting themselves, as if they assume you to be a likely criminal and make you feel as if you must proove your innocence.

At least thats how (most) Troopers, Fairbanks, and (especially) North Pole police are.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top