Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/31/2004 4:12:09 PM EST
Is it just me? Why do I confront people who are smoking as cigarette near me while I'm pumping gas? Earlier today, the brother just looked at me like I was crazy when I told him he was at a gas station. Then he get all indignant when I told him to put out the fuckin cigarette. Then he asked me who I thought I was, or some shit like that, I think that's what he said. I told him I was the guy who didn't want to blow up at a gas station because of his dumb ass. Then he drove off. God I hate that shit!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:14:05 PM EST
I've "knockonwood" never seen anyone smoking while pumping gas
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:14:32 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:15:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By twonami:
I've "knockonwood" never seen anyone smoking while pumping gas

Me neither, but I was definitely say something if someone near me lit up. You did the right thing.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:18:16 PM EST
Do you ever say anything to smokers at the gas pump?

Yes ----------- I ask "do you have a light" ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:19:04 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:19:10 PM EST
Never seen it happen.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:20:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By cyanide:
Do you ever say anything to smokers at the gas pump?

Yes ----------- I ask "do you have a light" ?

That's a stupid question. You know they do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:20:23 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
no.

i don't say anything to smokers, cell phone users, people that don't shut their engines off, folks that walk away from running pumps or folks that dispense gasoline into unapproved containers.

i like living on the edge.

cell phone usage is a myth
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:22:49 PM EST
I have seen people and I've said something. One guy pulled the nozzle out while he was sporting a 1 inch long ash hanging off the end of his duke.

The response is the same. They look at you like your are the stupid one.

I also get that same look when I pull up next to a person, who just threw their butt on the ground. As if that isn't littering.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:23:33 PM EST
I just crank my motorcycle engine as loud as I can when I leave...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:24:47 PM EST
I get down right rude about it. I'm pretty laid back about most stuff... not my safety.

As a trucker, I'm on the fuel islands every day, 100 gallons or so at a time.

There is always some f*cktard old crusty bitch gotta have that smoke danglin from his participle.

I will always ask nicely "Hey pal, mind not smokin on the fuel island. I don't want to be blown up."

Usually a reply of "I'm not pumpin right now" To wit I say "Well, I AM"

Verbal jousting will sometimes ensue. Other times I have reported truck numbers to the companies.

I have a poor temper if I'm already in a bad mood. I have removed the lit smoking material from a mouth or two that just stood there in awe.

Truckers are generally bullshitters. The small ones talk big. The big ones talk bigger.

However, couple a poor attitude about compromising my personal safety, with the ability to firmly communicate my desires, and the fact that I'm 6'3 and about 325 and few people won't get the message.

An "up close, and personal" request will usually finish the job.

Fuck 'em, I say.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:27:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Im willing to take it away from them...by force.

Im worth it.

+1
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:27:23 PM EST
On several occasions I have told the moron smoking at the pump, "I don't care if you want to blow up your own dumb ass, but you are not going to blow up mine."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:27:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By nationwide:
I get down right rude about it. I'm pretty laid back about most stuff... not my safety.

As a trucker, I'm on the fuel islands every day, 100 gallons or so at a time.

There is always some f*cktard old crusty bitch gotta have that smoke danglin from his participle.

I will always ask nicely "Hey pal, mind not smokin on the fuel island. I don't want to be blown up."

Usually a reply of "I'm not pumpin right now" To wit I say "Well, I AM"

Verbal jousting will sometimes ensue. Other times I have reported truck numbers to the companies.

I have a poor temper if I'm already in a bad mood. I have removed the lit smoking material from a mouth or two that just stood there in awe.

Truckers are generally bullshitters. The small ones talk big. The big ones talk bigger.

However, couple a poor attitude about compromising my personal safety, with the ability to firmly communicate my desires, and the fact that I'm 6'3 and about 325 and few people won't get the message.

An "up close, and personal" request will usually finish the job.

Fuck 'em, I say.

Great. Now I don't feel alone anymore. Thanks nationwide.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:28:44 PM EST
I almost did Friday, d-bag is sitting in his car with his arm out the window (holding a lit cigarette) right next to the pump - I used to smoke and am pretty tolerant, but this was just plain stupid (the cigarette was literally within 2 feet of the nozzle. Decided it wasn't worth the hassle (dude looked like an unemployed loser, and the last thing I need is getting into it with some lowlife) so exited stage left as quickly as possible.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:28:47 PM EST
Hey, BigT- it sounds like you got compliance no matter how you sliced it.

I've had several occasions to tell folks to get rid of their cigs at the pump. I also have the authority to put bracelets on their wrists to back me up. I politely ask them if they think it's a good idea to smoke while pumping gas? I usually get the expected response, 'Huh?!? Oh, yeah!'
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:30:57 PM EST
I usually put it out myself with a stream of OC spray.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:31:10 PM EST

Never seen it.

Hope I never do.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:33:17 PM EST

Originally Posted By AZ-K9:

Excellent idea. I gotta get some OC.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:33:21 PM EST
We don't have that problem here in Kali-fornia, they have these rubber do-dads that prevent the fumes from escaping when you put gas in your tank. It's gasoline fumes that is explosive and causes smog.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:36:39 PM EST
steps to take in case accident at gas pump happens

1. gas pump catches fire
2. you run like hell cursing at the guy telling him "burn baby burn", if you can get in your vehicle in time and drive away then next steps don't pertain to you.
3. watch your classic mustang go up in flames, and weep like a baby
4. you spit on the guy on fire trying to put off the flames
5. call your lawyer cause you got yourself a lawsuit
6. don't forget to call insurance co.
7. your next vehicle will be an electric car, cause you're gonna be scared to go to a gas pump for the rest of your life.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:36:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 4:40:47 PM EST by Zippy_The_Wonderdog]
One time at the pump there was a guy with a Caravan full of his wife and critters packed to the windows. He was smoking a cigar. I politely asked him to walk away and extinguish his cigar. He asked why. I took the nozzle out of my car and began jumping up and down with hysterical laughter and jammed my left hand my pocket in an obvious, obscene manner. I then started to hose the front of his Caravan down with gasoline whilst continuing the hysterical, obscene display while shrieking wildly "THISISWHYMOTHERFUCKERPUTTHATSTOGIEOUTRIGH­TPROPER!!!!!!!!!!!!"

...and he ran off with a swiftness to put said stogie out. Right proper.

EDITED TO ADD:

Okay, so I'm kidding. Nothing like this ever happened. But, ya gotta admit. Such a display would curb anyones urge to smoke while at the pump.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:41:48 PM EST

Is that before or after you shoot the dog, and taze them ?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:44:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 4:44:46 PM EST by AZ-K9]

Tasers and firearms use near gas pumps is a no-no.......

[Darwin]Oh wait, I'm a cop, those laws don't apply to me![Darwin]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:45:42 PM EST
I'm polite the first time I ask, after that, I get downright rude and profane. I thought I was gonna choke this guy last week. When I asked him to put it out, he says, "it's ok, I'm pumping diesel"

like diesel is somehow NOT AS EXPLOSIVE.

people are downright Stupid
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:46:03 PM EST

Tasers and firearms use near gas pumps is a no-no.......

[Darwin]Oh wait, I'm a cop, those laws don't apply to me![Darwin]

Now I know where to stand when I heckle a policeman ----
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:49:21 PM EST
What if you're smoking at the pump and wearing marpat?
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:49:41 PM EST
I work for a fire protection company. I was at a gas station checking the fire extinguisher at the pump island. A guy pulls up in a sports car and start to fill up. He is smoking chatting on the cell and he left his car running. Well I stand there with the fire extinguisher pointed at him. After a while he looks at me and cocks off " Got a problem?" I reply "Nope, You Might"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:50:32 PM EST
i've never said anything to smokers, but i almost got physical with an asshat that was trying to jump off his stalled truck. this moron had electricity arcing all over the place. when i said something {not to tactfully} the fucktard banged the hot ends of the cables together. thats when i started towards him. at about this time the two gas station attendants came running out. they were also yelling and curseing at him to stop. they made him push his car away from the pump to jump it off {allthewhile i taunted him and snickered}. i was still pissed off about that episode untill hours later.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:51:11 PM EST
I got a funny one, I used to work at a Exxon and when people would smoke at the gas pumps I would turn the pump off immediately and they would stand around with this fucked up look like "what the fuck" it was fucking funny as shit, sometimes they would just get in the car and leave thinking their car was filled up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:15:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 5:15:39 PM EST by SigZiggy]

Originally Posted By BigT:

Just make sure the OC is non-flammable!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:18:22 PM EST
I catch their gaze, make an 'exploding' motion with my hands, and mouth the word 'BOOM!'

I've gotten a couple fucktards to realize that they were doing something real stupid.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:24:08 PM EST

[dumbguy]do whut I do- take out the gas pump and squirt it at him- that'll make him put his cigarette out[/dumbguy]
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:26:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:
We don't have that problem here in Kali-fornia, they have these rubber do-dads that prevent the fumes from escaping when you put gas in your tank. It's gasoline fumes that is explosive and causes smog.

Funniest post I've read all day!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:27:38 PM EST

I also get that same look when I pull up next to a person, who just threw their butt on the ground. As if that isn't littering.

I love pulling people over after they throw there cigarette butt out the window. No one in this country considers cigarette butts liter. If they smart off about it ... "press hard, 3 copies"!! And those are not cheap tickets either!

Nick
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:29:01 PM EST

Is it just me? Why do I confront people who are smoking as cigarette near me while I'm pumping gas? Earlier today, the brother just looked at me like I was crazy when I told him he was at a gas station. Then he get all indignant when I told him to put out the fuckin cigarette. Then he asked me who I thought I was, or some shit like that, I think that's what he said. I told him I was the guy who didn't want to blow up at a gas station because of his dumb ass. Then he drove off. God I hate that shit!

Yes, I say things like "Put that motherfucker out, you stupid shit!"
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:44:50 PM EST
Hose'em down!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:47:21 PM EST
I havent see that latley.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:50:20 PM EST
I've seen gas station attendants smoke here in Missouri

I see customers smoke at the pump occasionally here - the last guy I asked to put out his cigarette actually tried to tell me that it was a myth that gasoline was flammable (I wonder how he thinks the engine in his car works?).

I told him that I'd rather not risk my life on him PERHAPS being wrong about that, and he reluctantly put out his cigarette.

However - rather than politely asking people, I'm always tempted to point at the sign, and ask them if they're just stupid and illiterate, or if they are depressed and have a death wish.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 7:53:35 PM EST
call the cops or the EPA with his tag number
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:08:31 PM EST
I've been a smoker for a long long time, I have jumped out of my vehical with a butt in my mouth
and started to pump gas. If any of you guys see me doing this you have my permission to kick my ass.

Sometimes a guy just doesn't think, I've caught myself and wondered WTF

GM
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:18:54 PM EST

Make sure it's not the old flamable stuff

Hunter out...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:31:10 PM EST
... Ha, this thread reminds me of an incident at a gas pump some years ago. Two buds and myself were on our way to Ignacio, CO for the annual four-corners run on our scooters. We stopped off in a town (Globe, AZ) on the way to gas up. We witnessed this asshat cowboy that was gassing up his pick-up with his country western music blaring. The fucker was full-out falling down drunk, stumbling and singing off key loud as hell.

… He headed into the store and one of my friends ran over to his truck, yanked the keys out of the ignition and tossed them into a parking lot adjacent to the gas station. No words were spoken, we all saw what had just transpired, so we high-tailed it out fast. Laughed about it all week. I would have paid money to see his reaction when he got back to his truck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:35:41 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:37:47 PM EST
ask them if they've seen "zoolander."
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:49:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 8:51:08 PM EST by captainpooby]
A cigarette will not light gasoline. I dare you to try it. Get one of those tin foil pans and splash some gasoline in it and leave for a few minutes to vaporize some fumes. Then toss a lit smoke in it. If you're scared drop it in off the end of a shovel.
I guarantee it wont light. I will do it at Gunstock if you're too chicken to try.
BTDT: When I was an apprentice, we were on break once and there was a glass Pepsi bottle on the shelf someone had drained gas into. Guy next to me dropped his cigarette in it and nothing happened. We went out in the parking lot and poured gas out and tried to light it with a cigarette.
It just doesn work.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:54:03 PM EST
Me: Unleaded?
Them: ....Yeah.
Me: Cool...

Oh your question was "Do I ever say anything to smokers at the gas pump?" - Never seen anyone dumb enough to smoke there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 8:56:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
A cigarette will not light gasoline. I dare you to try it. Get one of those tin foil pans and splash some gasoline in it and leave for a few minutes to vaporize some fumes. Then toss a lit smoke in it. If you're scared drop it in off the end of a shovel.
I guarantee it wont light. I will do it at Gunstock if you're too chicken to try.
BTDT: When I was an apprentice, we were on break once and there was a glass Pepsi bottle on the shelf someone had drained gas into. Guy next to me dropped his cigarette in it and nothing happened. We went out in the parking lot and poured gas out and tried to light it with a cigarette.
It just doesn work.

I have heard the same thing from someone else.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:10:49 PM EST
Slap them, thereby knocking the cigarette out of their mouth. When they look at you in horror, say "I'm Rick James, BITCH!"

Come on, you knew somebody had to do it!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 9:32:08 PM EST

Originally Posted By Taxman:

Originally Posted By captainpooby:
It just doesn work.

I have heard the same thing from someone else.

You....You....You....You mean HOLLYWOOD LIED?!?!?!?!?!?!

They *always* have the bad guy flicking his cigarette into the pool of gas causing the car/truck/tank/whatever to blow up in a GIANT FUCKING FIREBALL.....

Hollywood wouldn't LIE!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top