Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 5:59:27 PM EDT
The retirement thread got me thinking.

In some families cancer, heart disease, stokes and High BP are common.  In other families they are rare of non existant.  How much of a role does genetics play in life expectancy?

My grandfather was born in 1911.  He lived on a farm in Ohio during some tough financial times where he and his brothers had to eat birds, groundhogs, racoons just to feed the family.

Later they moved to a farm in alma Michigan.

He fought in WW2 and was shot in the foot in Europe.  He smoked until he was 50 but prolly had less than 10 drinks in his entire life.  He has never exercised for the sake of exercise. He eats whatever he wants to include such "unhealty" foods as bacon, ham, sausage, eggs, ect.  Yet he has no medical problems even at his advanced age. He doesnt take a single medication prescrbed or otherwise.

So has he just been really lucky or does genetics play a significant role in the common killers like cancer and heart disease?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
genetics are huge in life expectancy.  it has been shown time and again that a family history of certain disesaes exponentially increases your risk of getting that disease.   you can take steps to help (diet, exercise, meds)  but you will always be more exposed by a matter of genetics
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
yup.  based on family history, i'm very very likely to die of a stroke, but not very likely to die of cancer.

(although that may happen anyway, just because you can never trust the odds )
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Absolutely.  That's why I'm looking for a woman with perfect genes to marry.  Because my genetical trait is mediocre at best.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Belief is not required, genetics definitely plays a big role.  Some people can do some pretty bad things for their body and keep on ticking while others play it safe and die young.  'Luck of the draw' in a sense.

If it weren't for our advanced technology, natural selection probably would have done most of us in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Good genes?

Yeah.  I got 'em.  

I can eat like a pig, and I'll barely gain weight.  I've been on the 'mac and cheese' diet lately, and my eating schedule is just all messed up since they changed my shift at work and put my dinner way too early.  I've lost about 10lbs in the last month or so, but it's good.  Now I'm 6'1" and about 187.  I was up to around 194-197 in January.  

No history of major diseases in my family.  My parents are both on the verge of 60, and still relatively healthy.  Neither are overweight, most of the extended family is not overweight.  Mom's sister is just lazy and eats in bed all night, so she IS overweight - totally doesn't take care of herself.  

I'm not particularly active.  I only really 'work out' when I'm working on the project car... mostly lots of bending lifting things, turning wrenches and such.  

I hope I'll be healthy all my life... we'll see... I'm almost 30... but I hope to hit triple that!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Of course there is such a thing as "good genes". Some people don't have medical problems and can abuse their bodies in ways others can't and they live well into their 90s. Some even have their real teeth. Good genes there.

Some people may have medical problems, but they are born with semetrical and or exotic features which causes others to see them as 'beautiful'. These people are generally more successful or have an easier life because other people kiss their asses. Good genes there too.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Genetics are of course real.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking the same thing earlier today, My family seems to have above average life expectancy, and I don't know many relatives that have died of cancer.  My great grandmother lived into her nineties.  Her daughter, my grandmother, lived into her seventies, but she smoked a pack a day for like 60 years.  I have no alergies that I am aware of.  The only negative thing I'm aware of is that both sides of my family have gout, and some other types of arthritis.  In fact, the only ones not to live into their eighties were the smokers...

I also eat like a pig, and nothing considered to be health food, yet maintain a normal weight.  I could probably stand to lose a few pounds, and could definitely use more exercise.

I'm also at least above average in intelligence, but only smart enough to be dangerous...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Genetics are of course real.

Heresy! No such thing.

We all know if you pray alot you'll beat cancer and cooties.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:58:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Absolutely.  That's why I'm looking for a woman with perfect genes to marry.  Because my genetical trait is mediocre at best.

In before the eugenicists...
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes.  Both of my grandmothers are alive. One is 88, the other 92. The women in my family live forever.

My mother, and grandmother.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:32:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Well,we lost two men in the last 6 months to cancer, i am not feeling very safe from it right now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:11:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...I'm also at least above average in intelligence...

IBTP  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top