[#2]
ibtp

only when im present
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot sometimes, borrow never
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
shooting's ok and encouraged.  I shoot theirs too.

I never loan guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the person. I'll let almost anyone shoot my guns.......very few I would let borrow them. I let my dad borrow my Beretta 92 almost a year and a half ago. He's still got it. One of these days I'll go and get it back
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]
shoot yes , borrow? not anymore got two banged up guns from that noise
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Only one or two people get to borrow without my presence
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
i have no problem handing my gun off for someone to shoot (even better if they buy their own damn ammo)  but i dont let people take my guns somewhere i'm not going.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot (if I'm supervising): yes.
Borrow: Fuck no!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Borrow, as in take elsewhere and use, without my presense?
Maybe my Dad or my brother, but I know they wont destroy the gun. Other than that- Not just No, but Hell No. I've seen far too many guns ruined that way.

When I was about 12 or 13, I was driving for Deer with my Dad and some of his friends. A friend of my Dad has a son about 2-3 years older than I am. His Dad decided to go home and took both his and the son's gun with him. Another guy let the son use a Maverick 12 guage slug gun for the rest of the day, 2 or 3 more drives. By the end of the day, the gun was beat to hell, the triggerguard was broken off, there was a dent in the end of the barrel, and the action was packed full of dirt.

My brother-in-law hasn't shot in his deer rifle since I've known him. It looks like he hasnt cleaned it since long before. My wife is the only member of that family that has decent and safe gun-handling skills.

To hell with that. If they need it that bad, they can buy their own.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Shoot yes, borrow never. That happened once. Once. Never again.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#12]
You can shoot any of my rifles as long as I am there, but I dont borrow rifles out
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd let my dad borrow a gun. That's it though.

I'll let just about anyone shoot most of my guns while I'm at the range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
My Dad has possession of a few firearms I didnt want to bring to Hawaii, so I guess he is both borrowing and shooting.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#15]
shoot, never borrow

and only if i know em
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Back in the early 90's I lend my Glock 17 to a friend.  He was in the process of getting a job with the South Houston Police Dept. and he needed a pistol to qualify with.   He was also married, had a baby ,and living in his in laws house.  I felt bad for him, yet impressed that he was tring to make things better for his family.  He promissed to use his first pay check to buy his own pistol and return mine.
Well eight months later. he had stop taking my calls so I left a series of messages on his answering machine telling him I whould report the gun as stolen.  The day before I was going to report it, he returned it to a mutual friend.  It had not been cleaned since I lent it to him.  It had holster wear and the soft case and cleaning gear were missing.  So leason learned, don't lend anything to anyone that you are not prepaired to write off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Can't lend what I don't have.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoot, hell yes.  

Borrow, no!

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoot, Just about anyone who I don't mind the look of.

Borrow.... A very select few.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I never ever loan guns mainly due to liability issues and most people are fucking slobs.
I'd be pissed if someone killed themselves or used it in a crime.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone that doesn't allow a friend the pleasure of shooting a firearm you own (with supervision of course), is an asshole.

Anyone that lets a friend to borrow a firearm, well, they're doing so at their own risk.

Every firearm I have and ever will have will be kept under my supervision/control at all times - or be locked up.

Never can be too careful with lawsuits, courts, and the ATF these days. I treat my guns like the Department of Energy treats plutonium.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Shoot, but not borrow.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Rifle Pistol ammo LBV all the time.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If its a cop buddy ya.  Or family. But thats it and maybe not even family.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:29:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Borrow, Family only.

Shoot, only friends.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]
All the time. But I don't loan them out except when very necessary.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#28]
When my best friend was in the military for about 4 years I had most of his guns while he was gone. I return the favor to him while Im at school. But he, another best friend and close family is all I would let borrow. Anybody can shoot my guns though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#29]
It would have to be one hell of a reason for me to allow someone to borrow my gun, and even then they'd have to deal with me going through making sure they know wtf they are doing before they get possession of it.  To date, no one has borrowed any of my guns...though I have taken a pile of folks shooting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Not only would I never loan a gun, I can't even imagine someone asking to borrow one; that is just SO beyond rediculous. I have a buddy who gave 15 months of his life in Iraq and I would do anything for him, except loan a gun.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I will loan to select people, as necessary
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:30:39 AM EDT
[#32]
I'll let my dad and friends i've known for 20 years borrow them. I don't mind others shooting them at the range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I only let people that I trust shoot them.  I would never let someone borrow one (unless I was being shot at, and they didn't have a gun....I'd most likely temporarily loan a friend/family member a gun then).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Shoot, sure. While I'm present.

Borrow? At no time for any reason whatsoever.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:51:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Anyone that doesn't allow a friend the pleasure of shooting a firearm you own (with supervision of course), is an asshole.

Anyone that lets a friend to borrow a firearm, well, they're doing so at their own risk.

Every firearm I have and ever will have will be kept under my supervision/control at all times - or be locked up.

Never can be too careful with lawsuits, courts, and the ATF these days. I treat my guns like the Department of Energy treats plutonium.

+1
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I keep a couple of extra pump shotguns and a plain 30/06 bolt gun for SHTF Hurricane type situations. We have a good neighborhood that will be easy to secure due to its residents and location. I like to keep a couple of loaners in case I have to form a "neighborhood watch", but I don't want to hand out my good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Shoot?
I always dedicate 3 or 4 mags of ammo for other shooters at my range.
There's always a father and son who are curious, or nostalgic, and want a few pulls of the trigger.
Kids love it.  Dads love it.
And we may achieve BRD transmission through casual contact.

Borrow?
No fucking way!
That's just stupid.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:11:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I got 4 loaned out now.

I like to spread the fire power.

I also don't loan things I couldn't live without.

My pals and family know who to come to.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'd let my dad borrow a gun. That's it though.

I'll let just about anyone shoot most of my guns while I'm at the range.

yep
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I loan out guns sometimes during a hunt, but they do not leave the property with them, and are close friends or family only.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
shooting's ok and encouraged.  I shoot theirs too.

I never loan guns.

+1

Unless it is for hunting...and I am hunting with the person borrowing my gun, and that person is a friend/family.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Shoot yes.

Borrow -- well I would have replied no until last week.  A friend of mine (who I have known since we were both 2 that was unfortunately about 34+ yrs ago) who also grew up around firearms wanted to borrow a revolver to teach his gfriend how to shoot since he only has autos.  It still felt kind of weird even though I have shot with him many times before and know he would not do anything stupid.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Only one or two people get to borrow without my presence

+1.

If I'm at the range, pretty much anyone can shoot whatever they want (but you get to load your own mags damnit!).  Very rarely will I loan one.  Had a friend who needed to take his brother to New Orleans after Katrina.  He got to borrow one.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:44:59 AM EDT
[#44]
There's only a couple of people that I'd trust enough to let them borrow my guns. And both of them have more/nicer guns than I do, so they'd never have much of a need to borrow mine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#45]
I'd be very careful about "loaning" a gun to anyone, even to family. First, there are legal ramifications under the GCA about transfering weapons to certain persons. Transfering, loaning essentially the same thing. If a relative was a resident of another state and was visiting you and you loaned him a handgun, you could potentially be violating the GCA 1968. In addition, you may not know that relative or friend that well, they could potentially not be qualified to posses a firearm. If you can't with certainty say that they meet all the qualifications on a 4473, then don't loan them a firearm.

One interesting case in point was a recent shooting in Florida where a guy borrowed an MAK 90 or similar firearm from a relative and went to the Ocala National Frest and shot two students and returned the rifle to the family member. Can you imagine being the person who loaned the gun?

Something that may seem casual & innocent can turn into a big pile of trouble.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Borrow: Immediate family only.

Shoot: Anyone I'm training.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Yes, I will let someone who is genuinely interested squeeze off a few rounds of my black rifle (and so long as I have a sidearm).

But so long as they have a rifle or pistol I can shoot too though
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#48]
I loaned a Glock G17 to a friend for a few months once.  It may have been technically an illegal transfer, but the guy's CCW piece was being repaired and his job took him to very dangerous places at all hours.

California CCWs are limited to no more than three specific handguns that you own - Even carrying the same make and model with a different serial number is illegal.  My friend's Smith & Wesson Airlite came back from repairs with a differnet frame, and the state in its wisdom has no standard procedure for updating one's CCW records.

He carries it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Close friends can shoot them.  My son's can barrow them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Shoot, not borrow even for best friends.

Only my wife has that privelege.

HH
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top