Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2002 9:01:07 AM EDT
After using the term "sniper" myself, recently, reading some of the other posts made me realize that the word does put emphasis on the weapon rather than the asshole(s) doing the shooting.

How about "murderer" instead?

Now the "s" word probably is grammatically defensible, but do we really want to follow the media frenzy and get the attention focused on the firearm rather than the person?

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
"sniper" is used as a loaded word by the media..
would you care if it was a "murderer" killing folks in the MD area... might not get your attention... but now "sniper" peeks your intrest and you watch the segmant they sell ad space all is right in the world..
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]
He is doing the murders from a distance and presumably concealed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
He,(she,they,it), fits the job description...
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Murder is the crime, but sniping is the method.  It's the same way someone gets the label slasher or strangler.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:14:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't dispute what any of you say, my point is why do we, here at ARFCOM, want to use the term and encourage the sensationalism and the gun-grabber's agenda?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
the one I love hearing is  " so and so was killed by a .223 rifle"

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You really can't argue with the term "sniper."  By definition, whoever is doing it is utilizing the tactics and techniques (if not the equipment) of a traditioinal "sniper."  That said, I understand why formally trained military, LEO and civilian "snipers" would take offense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If this guy is a sniper, then every person who has ever been a "Marksman" in the military, and every hunter who has ever shot a deer is a sniper. I just dont think making a 150 yard shot from concealment makes one a sniper. Just me though and my thoughts count exactly what was paid for them. [8)]
View Quote

I've always disagreed with civilian law enforcement sharpshooters using the title sniper. For a military scout/sniper marksmanship is only a small part of their skill set.

This isn't a dig against LE sharpshooters. They have a high stress job that requires precision and skill. It's just that they don't fill the same role as military snipers.

The inevitable result of allowing the media to loosen the definition of sniper is having it applied to any nut job who can make a short to medium range shot with no wind against an unarmed target in cold blood.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been "sniped" by assholes on eBay a few times...
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#13]
How about we just call him/she/it a COWARD.

The way I look at it, a sniper uses a precision shot to eliminate a real/perceived threat that has been sanctioned by a governing body (Government/Military/Police).  This MURDERER is taking shots at innocent civilians that pose no threat or danger to them.  He might be a terrorist, but he's definitely a COWARD.  It's not "Sniping", it's murder from a distance.

I bet they never lay hands on this person even if they find out who they are.  My bet is it turns into a suicide.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]
sensationalized and overrated by the media twits and folks who are to STUPID to know anyway...the common Thug/Murderer is only a lucky shit for brains on it's last ride or misses being ASS Pirated and wants to make sure it dies in the legal system with it's betroved Fuck Up Wonder Weenie.The only good shot the Wart has made is a little fame in the Media.....was always a loser an always will be Pathetic in life.....to the loser on the trigger have some Muzzle Blast for Breakfest and be a REAL Hero
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top